LIS/botox - postpone or pursue?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS/botox - postpone or pursue?

Postby ut_outdoorsman » 11 May 2014, 00:28

Hello,

Well, I’ve been working really hard to get my stools right…but I still managed to F it up and here I am. The somewhat larger than normal stool got ‘stuck’, and had to move through an opening too narrow. Torn again. Searing pain and blood upon defacation, but thankfully relatively beningn/unfelt during the daytime.

I’ve had three separate issues of chronic anal fissures—the first time 3 ½ years ago, was resolved within a few weeks with medications; the second, resolved within a week on its own; the third (current), has been on-and-off for the past year and a half.

I’ve been on Miralax for the past 9 months, and I don’t want to continue. I know that Miralax is supposedly safe and can be taken for the rest of your life, but I just can’t believe that. I don’t see long-term use of Miralax as a solution. And, anyway, it isn’t exactly a 100% solution for me either.

At this point, I am considering both Botox and LIS. I don’t have ‘spasms’ as many describe, but the sphincter is just chronically tight it seems. I am hesitant to do botox, since its effects wear off and I am trying to resolve the muscular problem more than the fissure itself.

The problem is that I cannot hold my current job and undergo either procedure (I think). I have to be able to swim and wade through rivers and natural pools. I don’t see how I can do that with the risk of infection. I love this job, don’t want to leave on bad terms, and the job only lasts a few months. If I pursue botox/LIS, I am moving back in with the parents.

I am afraid to postpone treatment of the muscular tension. Trying to heal has already consumed my life for the past several months. I can’t have this be a lifelong daily struggle…

So here is what I am debating:
a) increase the pharmaceuticals (which scare me) and get through the season (which will make me happy)
b) abandon the job, seek treatment immediately (which will be reassuring), and move back in with my parents (which will be depressing)
c) the magical third way, or, somehow get adequate treatment (reassuring) AND keep the job (happy)

Any ideas, folks? I could really, really use some advice right now.

Isn’t it unfortunate that I seem to be deciding between psychological health and physical health? They are interrelated after all, and neither realistic scenarios provide both.
ut_outdoorsman
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: LIS/botox - postpone or pursue?

Postby owmybum » 11 May 2014, 02:58

Botox would get you through the season... It lasts around 3 months...... Then you could go for LIS if that didn't do the job?? You could still keep working after Botox no problem, just take a few days off after the injections.

Good luck with whatever you choose!!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby ut_outdoorsman » 11 May 2014, 08:08

I've seen so many posts about Botox and infection, though. How could a few days off possibly be safe enough to start jumping in rivers again?
ut_outdoorsman
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby sotiredofthis » 11 May 2014, 12:03

In my very, very humble opinion I would do LIS after the job ends depending on how long a "few months" is, how much pain you're in currently and if you think you can manage the pain. I am 13 days from LIS. Never had botox. I also suffered for over 1 1/2 years and my muscle tone was just very high. Triple the normal tone.

Ultimately, as you know, the decision will have to be something you're comfortable with and only you can know that.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby Apes » 11 May 2014, 13:07

The job only last a couple of months the fissure could be with the rest of your life if you don't take care of it. I had to decide between LIS and BOTOX I chose Botox. Given the choice I did not want to risk permanent side effects from LIS (incontinence). Botox has side effects but not permanent.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby agnibeat » 11 May 2014, 15:17

See a board certified Colon Rectal Surgeon and follow doctor's advise.
LIS worked like a charm for me.
ut_outdoorsman wrote:I've seen so many posts about Botox and infection, though. How could a few days off possibly be safe enough to start jumping in rivers again?
agnibeat
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1