LIS surgery after childbirth

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

LIS surgery after childbirth

Postby Bellastar » 12 May 2014, 22:38

So I have been on here for a bit reading everyone's success stories and different plans of care to help them heal an Anal Fissure. Sure helped in my decision to have LIS surgery. So I hope this helps someone else.

I am currently 38 years old and have been suffering for many years with an AF. I have had 4 babies...3 of them over 10lbs resulting in tears. They have all healed successfully with a good bowel regimen, lots of water and pain medications as well as a change in my diet. However with the birth of my last son and an emergency flight related to a loss in our family I got one painful AF. I am the queen of travelling and getting constipated....I just can't go. I have always laughed and said I am the only person I know who goes on vacation to tropical countries and has to eat prunes for breakfast everyday. I remember the day exactly that my AF went from bad to worse....and my life changed in an instant. After the 5 hr flight home towing three boys....one of them three weeks old I told my doc I needed to see a CRS now. So here is my 10 month story..... For those of us who cant sleep because of the pain here is some light reading:) keep in mind I am an RN of 20 years and I deal with a lot of residents who suffer with constipation. I just could not fix myself!

Sept 2013: I was referred to a CRS to help with my AF. My family doc at the time started me on Niphedipine oint. I started myself on laxaday and a high fibre diet. Took Tylenol and Advil as needed for pain.

Sept 2013: Saw CRS...he said "I can heal you....this is easy!" Nitro 0.2% rectally, Metamucil, xylocaine rectally to numb the bum and sitz baths. Not so easy....I have three kids....no time to pee let alone sit for 10-15 min. But I complied.

Oct 2013: still on the same regimen of laxatives, diet changes: no nuts, seeds, crackers, popcorn. Saw the CRS...he says "Keep doing what you are doing" and off I go....suffering immensely night and day and trying to wrangle three kids. With a baby who wants to nurse every two hrs.

Nov and Dec the same thing. However now I am feeling like I am getting depressed.... Don't want to go out as I am so consumed with the pain in my rear end that I could care less about social chit chat! My arse hurts....not really mom group banter. I can't not figure out why I am suffering so badly. Try to rationalize that maybe I did something wrong to deserve this.

Jan 2014..... My life gets 10x worse..... Not only do I have severe debilitating pain but I am filling the toilet with blood. I am nauseated with pain. And a purely miserable. This has got to be the worst mat leave I have ever had. So I make an appt with my CRS as I can not take it anymore. This is the day I change my surgeons. I got to see him, I am in tears as the pain is so bad. He replays "I just came from seeing a patient dying of pancreatic cancer who wishes his only problem was an anal fissure!" Thanks a lot....I just buried my father in law who died of cancer in August. I finally get a referral to see a new CRS.

Feb 2014: I see my new CRS, she is female and has the best bedside manner. She has a child the same age as my youngest. I pour my heart out to her and she listens. She is empathic and try's a new regiment of meds. And books me for botox rectally.

March 2013: So I have made one visit to ER as the pain was so bad I was on my bathroom floor shaking. Nothing really came of the visit as they can't give me anything for pain that will really work as I am breast feeding. I had the botox done on March 7th under deep sedation. No big deal. I was out the same day and at my sons hockey game...sitting on a soft cushion mind you:)

April 2013: Well the botox did nothing for me. Honestly maybe made things worse. Now I have this intense burning on top of the countless hours of pain. I am back in emerg for new meds. Nothing is working. I decide that maybe I need an adjuvant therapy as conventional medicine is not working. I go to Chiro and try laser therapy to help heal the AF. I see a dietician as well. Here is what my day looks like:

Prevacid 30mg po daily (heartburn)
Toradol 10mg four times a day.
Laxaday 34 gr twice a day
Magnesium 400mg daily
Multivitamin daily
Ativan 0.5mg sl to help relax
Protein shake to help heal.
Niphedipine as needed rectally as well and xylocaine.
Sitz baths
Diet restrictions.... Plus I have now taken out dairy. I have been Gluten free for 9 years as I have celiac.

I seem to have a bit of relief...I actually have a few good days....there is hope...could be a light at the end of the tunnel. But nope....2 good days equals 5 bad days.....then 1 good day...three bad. Just a vicious circle. How can I NOT heal. I am young, healthy and active. I don't smoke...rarely drink.... And yet one little AF has taken me out. I google endlessly into the night for a cure. I read countless horror stories. I cry at the drop of a hat. I remember reading one ladies post who said she felt like she wanted to die, And the docs wanted her to see psych. I got how she felt....I lay on my bathroom floor sobbing to my husband that I want to die. I don't really want to die.....I love my life, my kids, my job....but I understood how she felt. Hopeless and no real cure.

May 12: AF looks the same and not healing. Today....I have had the LIS surgery. I asked my CRS why me? She just said bad luck. I should have healed.....but I didn't. I am sitting in bed on a heating pad at home writing this. My surgery was today @ 2pm. So far I am ok. Took reg Tylenol and some toradol for mild discomfort. More tired from the anesthetic. The discomfort I have now is nothing comparable to the pain I had before the sugary today. Today was a bad AF pain day. I am looking forward to a good recovery....I will still follow my med regimen and bowel meds. Fingers crossed to a speedy recovery. I do fear my first BM....but how can it be worse than the razor blades I have been passing since last Aug.

I hope this helps someone..... I know I read a lot of forums on here. There is hope! I still have some;)
Last edited by Bellastar on 13 May 2014, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
Bellastar
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: LIS surgery after childbirth

Postby Alyssa » 13 May 2014, 10:50

Thanks for sharing your story and I'm sorry to hear that you have been suffering especially with having a baby; just hoping that you have a great recovery with no complications and you feel better soon. Please us updated on your recovery.
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby sotiredofthis » 13 May 2014, 12:30

I'm sorry for your suffering, too. Prayers going out to you. I am 13 days post lis and tag removal myself. Please do keep us updated!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby Apes » 13 May 2014, 15:24

Your story brought tears to my eyes. I have no children at home, you are doing amazing. You are stronger then you think. I have laid in bed and have had horrible thoughts, but then I remember my two college children and my wife. Please keep us updated, I have had Botox 8 days ago and think I'm making progress. Hoping not to need surgery.
How does a protein shake help heal?
Stay strong you have friends here to vent to.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Bellastar » 13 May 2014, 18:05

Thank you for your well wishes. It has been a long process. Now thinking I have been dealing with it for years and not months.

We usually increase protein when we are trying to heal patients that have wounds. The good thing about the shake is that it is extra fluid. I mix one scoop in 500cc of water and drink that twice a day. An easy 1000cc of fluid intake. I can't take any Metamucil as it is too bulk forming and just about kills me. But the laxaday and magnesium are a life saver.

So far I am 24hrs post LIS....I feel like I have received a swift kick in the rear end. But managing ok with the Tylenol and toradol. Saving the Dilaudid for worse pain. Have my trusty heating pad and netflix:) I am more groggy from the anesthetic and have quite the sore throat but that is all peanuts. I was sure the pain would be a thousand times worse. But I have yet to go to the bathroom so that is my next hurdle. Tough to relax with a house of little guys and a 110lb dog that won't leave my side:)
Bellastar
Fibre Addict

Postby Bellastar » 13 May 2014, 18:10

sotiredofthis wrote:I'm sorry for your suffering, too. Prayers going out to you. I am 13 days post lis and tag removal myself. Please do keep us updated!

How are you doing now that you are 13 days post op?
Bellastar
Fibre Addict

Postby Jbl22424 » 13 May 2014, 23:15

Thanks for sharing your story. I've been struggling with my AF since my son was 7 weeks old (6 months now). Not in near the pain you described anymore but struggling with PPD due to the situation. Please keep us posted on your recovery. I wish you a speedy one!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Alyssa » 14 May 2014, 01:47

Jbl22424 wrote:Thanks for sharing your story. I've been struggling with my AF since my son was 7 weeks old (6 months now). Not in near the pain you described anymore but struggling with PPD due to the situation. Please keep us posted on your recovery. I wish you a speedy one!

You are not alone... I am feeling down too because of this and my daughter is almost 4 months old; I try to stay positive and put on a brave face for people while I suffer in silence; I wonder what did I do to deserve this? I sit at home crying my eyes out because I am unable to enjoy my baby girl that I desperately wanted.
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Bellastar » 14 May 2014, 10:11

The best advice i could give that i have learned from my experience is see a CRS ASAP!!! There is help and treatment. I have tried it all from meds, creams, sitz baths, different ways to go to the bathroom….that was to comical for words. I am sure even witch craft has crossed my mind. I have cried through the night while nursing my son who is now 10months old. I have been an utter disaster. But I have never given up. I tried botox but it just did not work for me. I tried numerous ointments and creams… lots i reacted to as my skin is so sensitive. But I tell you today I am 3 days post op LIS and yes I am a bit sore…. but less sore than I was before the surgery and today i went to the bathroom…scared as hell. I though literally oh shit here we go. And it was nothing. The least amount of pain I have had in 10 months going to the bathroom. I need to take it easy, make sure i watch my diet and take the laxatives. I know lots of people bulk up on fibre…but just not too sure that is a great idea. I have had no issues with leakage or gas. So my fingers are crossed. I feel like I have literally survived hell and lived to tell the story. If I can make it through this anyone can.

All the best to you both. Having a baby is tough enough with lack of sleep, breastfeeding and or bottle feeding. Hormones….they are a nightmare for new moms. The best thing is to keep on talking….I have a friend…and her and I are always making cracks about my sore rear end. If anything at least I can still laugh!
Bellastar
Fibre Addict

Postby Alyssa » 14 May 2014, 10:58

I've been to a crs and two general surgeons; all confirmed that they don't see any active fissure (it healed) the problem is that I continue to have the pain (during and after going to the problem) and dull pain all day so they just look at me like I'm crazy. I've been referred to a pelvic floor physical therapist but I want relieve now! I only had the fissure for about 2 months (that i noticed it) so i don't know why my body is reacting this way to something that was just there not that long.

At least when you have a fissure there is a plan; creams, Botox, lis but when there is no fissure and continue with the same symptoms you are left in limbo they don't know what to do with you (at least that's the way I feel).
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP