LIS surgery after childbirth

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: LIS surgery after childbirth

Postby Bellastar » 14 May 2014, 16:24

Any chance that maybe the fissure is internal? Have they done a scope? Could be that you continue to have spasms after you go to the bathroom.

I hear you though....it is very frustrating trying to get help. My first CRS just kept saying "keep doing what you are doing" and gave me some speach about how long a cut on your hand takes to heal vs a cut on your bum.

Are you breast feeding at all?
Bellastar
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Jbl22424 » 14 May 2014, 17:50

Alyssa - we are close! I live in Sacramento. :) I think you should try yet another CRS. Someone out there will be able to help you.

Ladies, I did stop breastfeeding because I was convinced my fissure was caused and aggravated by it. Since I cut back on breastfeeding, I went from pain every day to 4 days pain free then 12 days pain free and now I'm on 3 days pain free. Even though I have setbacks, they seem to be fewer and further between. I think cutting back helped me but I'm not sure if it will actually get me all the way to cured. I'm booked for botox on the 20th and just not sure if I want to do it... but feel I ought to. If I didn't have these pain free stretches then getting LIS would be an easier decision.

The PPD has lifted a bit, too, since ending breastfeeding. I think my hormones play crazy tricks on mind... I hope things are going back to normal. On my good days, I'm so ecstatic to be a mommy. On my bad days, my butt is on fire and I feel like my son deserves so much better than a crying mess for a mom. It has been really hard. Its so nice to talk to you ladies and Bellastar, thanks for sharing your story, it is an inspiration!

By the way - should I be worried about the general anesthesia for botox constipating me? I'm wondering how much extra miralax I should take or maybe I should try some milk of magnesia afterwards?
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Alyssa » 14 May 2014, 20:35

I'm not breastfeeding and they've done scopes but they don't see a fissure anymore. I don't have the spasms people talk about but do have minor sharp pains once in a while.
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Alyssa » 14 May 2014, 20:42

I've seen 2 general surgeons at kaiser Santa Teresa and then a crs in Fremont and they all have said they don't see anything. I have another appointment with a crs in San Jose in two weeks. Kaiser has a total of 15 crs in the Area so I have to get referrals to each one if I want an appointment. Anyone have any experience with a crs through kaiser in the Bay Area?
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Alyssa » 14 May 2014, 20:49

I think my hormones play crazy tricks on mind... I hope things are going back to normal. On my good days, I'm so ecstatic to be a mommy. On my bad days, my butt is on fire and I feel like my son deserves so much better than a crying mess for a mom.

I definitely can definitely relate to this... I look at my daughter and cry because i should be excited to have the baby girl I always wanted but since most days I'm in pain it's hard to enjoy her firsts; I spend a lot of time on here trying to get some support from others who are experiencing the same thing I am going through and trying to get some answers as to what I should do or try next to get some relief.
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby sotiredofthis » 15 May 2014, 08:17

Bellastar wrote:
sotiredofthis wrote:I'm sorry for your suffering, too. Prayers going out to you. I am 13 days post lis and tag removal myself. Please do keep us updated!

How are you doing now that you are 13 days post op?

Hi,

Sorry I'm just getting to this! I am 17 days post-op now and things are going ok. I still have pain (stinging) in the fissure, tag removal and incision sites. I still have trouble sitting for long periods of time as well and I'm sitting on a pillow. For me the first week and a half was pretty rough. Lots of swelling and absolutely no sitting. I could only lay down or stand. I had surgery on Monday and didn't have a bm until Friday. With all the stool softeners and laxatives I was taking I got diarrhea 4 times on Friday and 4 times on Saturday! I didn't take anything on Saturday and Sunday was only once but very loose. That definitely irritated the area. I also have IBS so that complicates the situation some. I've talked with my CRS and she said everything I'm feeling is normal for all I had done. I had the fissure for 1 1/2 years and would tear/re-tear. When I had the surgery the outer layer of the fissure was closed over but my main problem was almost constant burning when sitting. I wasn't having pain with bm. She did an anal pressure test and my pressure was triple the normal pressure. So doing LIS was the only real choice I had to release some of the pressure and let the fissure heal completely.

So, I'm just taking this one day/week at a time. I feel like I'm healing slower than others on here and slower than I want. I don't have my first post-op appointment with my CRS until I'm 5 1/2 weeks from surgery which will be June 4th. I'm praying all goes well until then and she'll tell me I'm healed or well on my way to complete healing!

I hope this helps. I have a thread on the LIS section titled "LIS surgery yesterday".

Praying for you!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby sotiredofthis » 15 May 2014, 08:20

My heart and prayers go out to you new mommies. This is a time in your life when you should be just loving on those babies and over the moon happy not dealing with the pain of this awful fissure. I have 4 kids myself from 7 to 19. I've felt like in the past over 1 1/2 years that I've had this my whole family has suffered, too. Trying to put on a happy, brave face gets old when you feel like giving up! Hang in there though. There will be light at the end of the tunnel. Don't give up!

My prayers are with you.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby Alyssa » 15 May 2014, 08:53

Sotiredofthis,

I'm sorry to hear that you are recovering slowly but you just keep your head up! As mentioned in this forum, people heal differently so don't get discouraged and just focus on getting better.
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Jbl22424 » 19 May 2014, 20:21

Thanks for the kind words, STOT! Bellastar, how are you doing?
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Bellastar » 23 May 2014, 09:06

So I am now 11 days post LIS. Each day life improves a little more. I have no fissure pain at all or spasms. I have had no issues with gas....other than what is normal. No incontinence what so ever. I am taking just Tylenol and Advil for some very minor aches on one side. I do have a small red lump at the site that can be a tad bit sore but from Reading it seems to be pretty common and I expect it to improve. I have no issues with sitting but get a bit cramps if I stand for top long. But think that just may be pelvic issues more than my bowels.

Life has had a nice turn for us. Was out on the trampoline with my kids the other day...and thought... "WOW" who would have ever thought this day would come. My husband says it is nice to have his wife back. Nice to be back....nice to enjoy a glass of wine now that I am not on so many pain meds.

There is a light.... I am not sure if post prego hormones reek havoc on us new moms, I would never encourage a mom to give up breast feeding...ever! But I did find things improved once I stopped. And to be honest my 10 month old only wakes once now....sleep is a little slice of heaven!

Hoping our moms on here really seek out some help! I am really glad I did it!!!!
Bellastar
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1