Unexpected LIS, here we go!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Unexpected LIS, here we go!

Postby Jbl22424 » 20 May 2014, 14:51

Hi all, I went in for Botox today but had an agreement with my doctor that if she saw a fissure that she felt would not heal without LIS, then she could go ahead and do the surgery. So here I lay, on my couch and on my side, having just had LIS when I really hadn't intended for it. Although I'm pretty happy that this thing will/should be finally over soon.

I'm hurting a bit, feels generally sore but no burning fissure pain...more like a bruised bum. Pain level is probly a 5 or so. Haven't taken the Vicodin yet, hoping to get by without it but we'll see. I'll keep ya'll posted!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Re: Unexpected LIS, here we go!

Postby sotiredofthis » 20 May 2014, 19:15

Sending prayers your way! Let us know how your doing.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby Scientist2516 » 20 May 2014, 20:57

Oh wow! I'm sure it's for the best though. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

:smilyhug:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Apes » 20 May 2014, 21:23

Here's to a speedy recovery. We are all pulling for you. Keeps up on your progress.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby owmybum » 21 May 2014, 02:24

Wishing you a speedy recovery! Take it easy x

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Jbl22424 » 21 May 2014, 21:24

Thanks everyone! Appreciate your kind words. Yesterday ended with a decrease in pain and I slept comfortably without any additional meds. This morning I had some trouble with by bm. It was soft but I could only get out a little at a time because it hurt quite a bit and I think my body responded by not releasing the rest. Took about 6 tries before I finally had a decent evacuation and could move on with my day. Stung quite a but during the Bm, similar to but not as painful as the shards of glass feeling during the worst fissure times. Not fun but short lived so no big deal. I did have about 4-6 hours of after pain which I'm sure were spasms but felt different, more sore feeling than burning. Took a quarter of a pain pill towards mid day and then felt better by 1 or so. Feel pretty great right now but expect a repeat of the same for quite a while until there is time for some healing. We will see what tomorrow brings!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jbl22424 » 21 May 2014, 21:35

I wanted to add a bit about my surgery experience, too. The prep for Botox and surgery are the same here so that's why the doc could decide on the fly. I met with the anesthesiologist just before surgery and got to decide if I wanted general anesthesia or just the kind that gets you super drugged up with the no memory drug. General puts you all the way out and they put in a breathing tube. It's riskier but you definitely will have no knowledge of what is going on. The other kind is like what you get at the oral surgeons office. You are so drugged up and out of it that you don't really care what is going on. They numb you but you will feel the injections for that. The drug they give you inhibits your ability to form long term memories so you won't really remember anything afterwards. I picked this one and have no memory of anything except when I yelled at them for injecting the numbing shots. I think I yelled ouch and told them to stop, haha. I preferred this because I didn't want the breathing tube.

They wheeled me into the OR and had me lie face down on the operating table on some soft blocks to prop up my bum. I woke up when they were wheeling me out and told me I had the surgery. My husband was there and I was crying, that's typical for me with anesthesia. The doc came to talk to me but I don't remember very well. My husband picked up my drugs upstairs and I was walking out to the car within an hour. My butt was numb until it started hurting a few hours later and that's when I made my first post.
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jbl22424 » 22 May 2014, 22:03

Day 2 down. Slept well last night and had a smooth Bm in the morning. This one was far less painful! Lots of pain for hours after though, unfortunately. Took half a Valium and a quarter Vicodin for spasms, felt pretty good by noon. Still lying around and doing very little walking, no sitting. Catching up on my tv!
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jbl22424 » 24 May 2014, 18:58

Day 3: rough day. Bm same as yesterday and lots of after spasms for 5-6 hours. Took Valium and a quarter Vicodin again. Felt very discouraged as I know many don't have spasms at all after LIS. Felt great by afternoon/evening and was walking around much more.

Day 4: pain free Bm, light spasms after for 5 hours or so, not too bad. Did take preemptive Valium and half Vicodin. Felt much more like myself today, moving around a lot, even rode in the car for an hour with no problems. Went swimming with my baby for his first time! Basically felt today the way I did before surgery and I'm glad it didn't take too long to get back on my feet.

I should note that I've only seen a drop or two of blood since surgery, once during a Bm and once in my underwear with a drop of what could've been leakage from the incision site. My surgeon did say she used a stitch or two on the incision. I've also had no incontinence issues of any kind except I couldn't hold in gas on day 1. It was kind of funny because it would escape me like an exhale, no noise associated with it. This seems to have remedied itself as others have said and things seem back to normal.
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Savaici » 25 May 2014, 20:50

Glad to hear things are going well for you, J!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222