my diary

track record of the fissure

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

my diary

Postby student » 29 May 2014, 11:50

Since i do a lot of laying down, sometimes in pain, i though id share how things go. maybe you all will have some insights as this fissure is wearing me down physically and mentally. Now sometimes I dread eating, but i used to love to cook. I know it will hurt coming out.
I have had this fissure since mid-march. went to crs in mid may. the initial treatments all gave me adverse affects. allergies to antibiotics, spasms from suppositories, chafing from hydrocortisone, chronic diarrhea from mineral oil, and to top it all off i had two bouts of food poisoning a week apart. At first my anus was so tight i couldnt get the nitro in, so i would get headaches, now it is a little better. I have found that taking a bath for 30 mins 4 times a day really helps with the pain and spasms. This would be easier if i could gain my strength back. since it started ive lost about 20 lbs that i really didnt need to. Also since the mineral oil, which I have stopped I have a BM ever 12-18 hrs after I eat, once a day would be nicer. this also deters me from eating sometimes. I take two teaspoons of unflavored metamucil per day.
Lately to combat this dreadful thing I have been using the nitro almost at the max dose. taking as many baths as I can. two ibuprofen before a BM - the glass pain is mostly gone, and i rarely see blood on the toilet paper, but the "sitting -up" pain as people call it on here is nearly unbearable for a minute or so. I have trouble holding myself sitting upright on the toilet. its such a strong dull pain, i almost prefer the glass shards, but i hope that this type of pain means progress.
My diet is pretty consistent and gives me bms of about 5/6, just more often than id like. I am horrible lactose intolerant so, all dairy is out, so is all red meat, poultry, and eggs. Raw vegetables and carrots give me gas so i tend to cook them. I limit bread a lot, but oatmeal, nuts, fruit, tofu, fish, sweet potatoes, avocados, mushrooms, cooked greens are all good I have been having the strongest craving for udon noodles, and ribs, but im scared to go even for the noodles.
I have thinking of trying aloe or decitin or asking my crs for calcium channel blockers, but she wants to talk about botox. with my luck ill get the incontinence. Ive also made an appointment with an acupuncturist for pain management and digestion.
Thats it for now, comments?
student
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: my diary

Postby Apes » 29 May 2014, 14:22

Student, sorry to see you are still suffering. It sounds like you are doing the right things. I don't eat nuts as I think they can be problematic coming out. I know you said Metamucil works for you and that's fine, but in my case I was taking 1 tablespoon of Metamucil a day and my BM were both to frequent and to large. I now take 1 teaspoon of benefiber and 2 teaspoons of miralax a day. That along with good eating and lots of water have given me 1 or 2 BMS a day that are soft. As for the Botox any incontinence you might get will be temporary, until it wears off. Reports of incontinence on Botox are very small. I have had Botox and have no problem controlling gas, or stool. When I do need to go though it can come on in a hurry. If you are not getting better I would recommend trying something else, like Botox. Remember it can take a really long time to heal and Botox has gotten mixed reviews.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Roidsfizzman » 29 May 2014, 15:06

At one time, I did not eat nuts because I felt nuts could be problematic comming out. Now, I eat nuts all the time, per my doctor, as nuts are not broken down by the body's digestive system, and little bits of the nuts can often be noticed in the stool. These little bits of nuts do not form together and work as a natural stool softner. I found that my stools were softer with eating nuts. I do recommend to chew nuts well and drink lots of water.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby student » 29 May 2014, 20:05

apes- i tried benefiber, and i feel that the insoluble fiber in meta gives me the right amount of laxative effect. even now when i get the urge to have a BM it is pretty hurried.
Roids- so far nuts have been good to me, yes lots of water

Today i got the acupuncture treatment. I left the appointment with half the pain i came in with, was walking much better, and felt stronger and more relaxed. I was feeling bold so i decided to try eating flaxseed & fiber bread with lots of avocado smeared on it- we'll see how that ends tomorrow. I also got a bunch of mushrooms to make with my udon, i decided to give into that craving as well, will cook it tomorrow.
After dinner i had a bm, with the usual amount of pain and spasms afterward, tiny bit of blood on the tp :( but no ibuprofen today. i took a bath afterward for about an hour and will probably do so again before bed, and will use nitro

I go back to the crs on tuesday to discuss botox, which i know i will want to take time to think about. I will ask her about muscle relaxants-they worked well when i had back spasms, and also calcium channel blockers. its been hell and a half but im still not ready for botox. ill probably go back to the acupuncturist next week, it really did help with some of the pain.
student
Salt Bather

Postby Apes » 29 May 2014, 20:49

Sounds like your taking real good care. Keep doing whatever works for you. I would say if you are making progress keep going. If things don't get better don't be afraid of Botox as the next step. I feel I'm doing really well 25 days into Botox. It doesn't work for everyone, but side effects are minimal and temporary. Glad acupuncture is helping with the pain. Good luck at the CRS.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby student » 29 May 2014, 21:13

thanks! the bath didnt help with the spasms which are like 80 percent of my pain. i gave up and took two ibuprofen
student
Salt Bather

Postby student » 30 May 2014, 07:15

another bm this morning- this frequency needs to stop i think its impairing my healing. There was some blood on the tp, more than last time. I REALLY hope i didnt retear, this whole thing sucks but i just want it to be over. the pain after was average, with mild spasms.
Can anyone please give a very detailed description of what a retear feels like? There were a few prickles during and some blood on the tp. Also when a retear does happen is it automatically back to square 1 or can it be a partial setback?
student
Salt Bather

Postby Scientist2516 » 30 May 2014, 07:38

Hi Student, you need to have a BM at least once a day, because old stool gets dry and hard. Keep your stools as soft as you can (are you drinking enough water?) and that will help. It does take a long time, it just does.

I don't know what a re-tear feels like as such. I had the same question, and got a few answers, but I still don't really know.
All I can tell you is that I would sometimes relapse, have pain (no blood though), but it was never back to square one. I think you have to see it as a healing wound that can get re-opened, or stressed, and hurt for a while, but healing is still continuing.

A full re-tear could be caused by a big trauma, and it does seem to happen to some people here. But pain and even blood does not necessarily mean you are back to square one.

I hope these rather confused ramblings help!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Roidsfizzman » 30 May 2014, 08:28

Hi Student,

When I would re-tear, I could always feel it in the same spot with a nerve type of pain and it would feel like I was passing a piece of glass or something sharp in the stool and cutting on the way out. I would always see blood on the tissue paper and sometimes blood in the water or a line of blood on the edge of a stool. (now was my time to get mad and upset because the days ahead were not going to be good) The stool was typically hard to firm at the start. 95% of the time I knew at the start of the BM if damage was done. After the bad BM, I was good for about an hour with no more pain, then, the after pain would start that could last 4 to 8 hours. For me the after pain was worse than the re-tear pain.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby student » 31 May 2014, 04:54

thanks! im pretty i just retore. There was more than usual pain, and a lot of blood on the paper. I dont think ill ever venture on food again.
when things are going well, most of my pain is from spasms. things are not going well now, it is a burning pain and hard to walk
student
Salt Bather