Fissure / Botox diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Fissure / Botox diary

Postby Flaneur » 04 Jun 2014, 06:17

So, I've had a fissure for at least six mins, possibly longer. Had hemmorhoid surgery in February, which I *think* has healed the hems. Still have an external skin tag or small hem (not sure which) but besides a little trouble with cleaning, it doesn't bother me.
My fissures seem to come and go, and in different spots - at least, I feel like the pain is in different spots sometimes. Right now I have no blood, just a burning pain on the top right (about 2 o'clock, I guess). Tomorrow I'm seeing my CRS. I have an appointment Trent in his office, followed by a possible (if I need it) hospital appointment for botox.
I'm absolutely terrified. I'm terrified that he'll say it's not a fissure but something more serious. I'm terrified hell tell me to keep using the creams (not working). I'm terrified he'll do the botox and it will hurt, I'll be in pain after, it will cause a thrombosed hem. This is a particular worry as I've had three thrombosed hems excised when pregnant and it was horrifically painful.
I go back to work in a week and am so scared thatBotox might cause incontinence or even lack of wind control, that it might nake me start feeling spasms, or pain... Ugh. I'm just terrified.
But I can't love with this burning constant pain any longer either.
Just pretty darn miserable right now. My bum is ruining my life!
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Fissure / Botox diary

Postby Apes » 04 Jun 2014, 07:29

Hang in there Flaneur. Focus on the things you can control. If the creams aren't working don't let the doctor tell you to keep using them. Maybe the doctor can prescribe something to help you relax. Stress can effect the healing process. I had Botox and it wasn't bad, it does tend to upset the hemmies but that doesn't compare to the pain of the fissure. Good luck at your appointment, let us know what he says.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Flaneur » 04 Jun 2014, 08:02

Cheers Apes. My CRS is a good one, so I trust him. I'm a natural stress head so I know I just need to relax more. Did you get theombosed hems from the botox? I'm going to ask him about it tomorrow, but obviously having paid for and undergone what I see as a successful hems operation I'd hate to do something to make them come back. I want the little buggers gone forever!
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Postby Apes » 04 Jun 2014, 08:31

No thromboses for me. I had a hard bowel movement the night of botox and an external hem swelled up but it wasn't painful. I'm still fighting that hem, although it is much smaller and more of an annoyance. I ice it once in a while, that helps. The botox seems to be working, its given great relief. It feels like the fissure is healing, when i have a BM I feel it pass the fissure, no pain now, and I feel it less and less every week.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby Flaneur » 04 Jun 2014, 08:46

Those hems can be persistent. Great to hear the botox seems to be helping you. It's nice to read of a success story (fingers crossed it keeps working for you!). Did you have any gas incontinence afterwards? I'm not sure how to deal with that, as in my job(teacher) that's it ideal.
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Postby Flaneur » 06 Jun 2014, 07:24

Well, yesterday I had the botox and I'm pretty sure he did a fissure tommy as well. I signed a consent for both, but as he hadn't explained he would do one, I assumed it wouldn't be done. I'll go through the procedure anyway, for anyone thinking of getting the botox.
I saw the CRS in the morning and he outlined two possible procedures- botox or a test where I have a dye injected (swallowed?) and then basically poo while being xrayed. It didn't sound fun. Plus, if it showed a tight muscle, botox would be the next step. So I nominated botox. In the afternoon I went to the day hospital. I paid a sh**load of money, signed forms and was taken in by the nurse for obs, gowned up, etc. she then administered half an enema which I worryingly didn't think was working. Half an hour later I managed to release all the enema fluid but no BM.
The anaesthetist and nurse had me walk into the theater, get up on bed and confirm who I was. The CRS was there and asked me a couple of questions, then the anaesthetist put the Cannula in. Last thing I remember he was asking me to count the screws in the air con vent and I told him I couldn't as I didn't have my glasses on. Then I woke in recovery.
No pain on waking, just super drowsy and felt like something had gone on down there. The CRS told me he found a "substantial" fissure (i think thats the word he used) and some prolapse. he fixed the fissure but said he would discuss the prolapse with me in 4 weeks. i don't think the prolapse was my bowel-maybe bladder or my girl bits. After a short while I was up, dressed and seated in a comfy chair for a bikkie and tea and my husband and kids came to get me. I slept the two hour drive home. Some discomfort but no pain.
When I got home I had some toast and my usual cocktail - Metamucil, 3 coloxyl and 20ml lactulose. Plus I had a couple of paracetamol, one with codeine in it.
Slept well, besides the kids waking in the night. This morning I had pain. Maybe 1 or 2/10. Took paracetamol. Had an urge to go when husband was in the shower and almost went in my underwear. When I went, it was clear liquid. Half an hour later, after breakfast, I had a small easy bowel motion, feels like things a swollen down there. After a shower I checked it out and found a large, very obvious fissure at 12 o'clock. This is what makes me think he did a fissureectomy as that certainly wasn't there, or wasn't at all obvious the day before. In his office he couldn't even see a fissure.
Today I drove a lot, so was sitting a lot which was a stupid idea. Plenty of pain by this evening. I've out coconut oil on the whole area and am now off to sleep.
Last edited by Flaneur on 06 Jun 2014, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Postby Flaneur » 06 Jun 2014, 18:48

Update. Slept ok last night and woke feeling pretty good. The hardest part for me is lots of sitting as I feed the baby. BM this morning was awful. A bit of stretching pain and I could feel the fissure. I think my bms are too wide. They're fairly soft, thanks to the lactulose and coloxyl but I think maybe the Metamucil is too bulking. Anyone else find this? Any advice?
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Postby Apes » 06 Jun 2014, 19:49

I stooped Metamucil because it bulked me up. I switched to benefiber. As long as your BMS. Are soft you are good. The first week of Botox for me I had soft BMS but felt them go across the fissure, it was moderately painfull. Now 33 days later I can feel it but no pain. Give it time, take it easy, don't over do anything and stick with a good diet even when you start to feel better.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby Flaneur » 07 Jun 2014, 07:33

Thanks Apes. I halved the Metamucil tonight but took the same amount of water. Will get some benefiber to try tomorrow.
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Postby Flaneur » 07 Jun 2014, 16:47

Just woke up, did a few jobs and then the usual BM urgency hit. Guess what? No blood! Yay! It wasn't a large BM, definitely narrower than usual so maybe a half dose of Metamucil is what I need. Fingers crossed or a good day.
Flaneur
Salt Bather