Unexpected LIS, here we go!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Unexpected LIS, here we go!

Postby sb2 » 03 Jun 2014, 18:37

Hi JBL, so happy for you. I go for my second LIS on Monday. I can't wait, and hope my experience is like yours.
sb2
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Jbl22424 » 12 Jun 2014, 23:21

So, I put my fissure to the test yesterday! Hubby and I both came down with a god awful case of food poisoning. I am almost 4 weeks post-LIS.

You want bad news or good news first? We'll start with the bad: I soiled myself. Ok, not really. But on two occasions during this most-awful-experience-ever-ohmygod-i-can't-stop-vomiting-or-pooping I thought I was going to have gas and a little liquid came out. Now, this kind of thing has happened to me before surgery, too, when my stomach is bad and things are a little out of control back there. So, I'm not worried about it. I would never leave the house when I was that sick anyways. But - I thought I would report it here as I suppose it technically counts as incontinence. It's not troubling me, though!

The good news? Zero pain. Not even a stinging sensation.

That is all. I'll be back if/when I have more to report.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Scientist2516 » 13 Jun 2014, 07:22

Three Million Cheers, Jbl!

Well, it's terrible about the food poisoning. Wow, that sounds bad. But great that your anus is surviving the onslaught!

I think you are absolutely right not to worry about the little leakage, if it's happened before (it happens to me too).
You rock and your surgeon rocks!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Jbl22424 » 28 Jun 2014, 23:01

Ok so my streak was bound to end sometime right? I had a setback today, almost six weeks since LIS. My Bm may have been a little harder than normal. No pain on exit but there were a few drops of blood on the tp. Possibly from the incision site since it appeared to be on the left.

Scary! I haven't seen blood since a few days after surgery. Pretty bummed about this as I had intended to begin weaning from the miralax and colace next week. Luckily there was no pain or irritation, I even had two more bms, one diarrhea later in the day. How worried should I be about the blood? How long do you guys think I should stay on the miralax before I cut back?
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jbl22424 » 28 Jun 2014, 23:19

Perhaps I should add that I've been eating with reckless abandon these days - pasta, pizza, wine, cheese, steak, desserts. It's been glorious. And hasn't given me trouble yet. But last night I was gnawing on some popcorn kernels and maybe they caused my problem?
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby sb2 » 29 Jun 2014, 08:08

JBL, so sorry to see your post. Hopefully just a quick detour on your road to fully healing. I have read that popcorn can be problematic.
sb2
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Roidsfizzman » 29 Jun 2014, 08:26

Hi JBL,
You have had an amazing recovery after surgery, sorry to hear about your issue. You may of had no pain for a month, but you are still in the healing process. After the incision site and fissure heal in six to eight weeks, it takes more time for the healed skin to get 100% strength. After 3 to 4 months the typical fissure skin is still only at 70% strength and it will take a year or two for the skin to be back at 100%. If the bleeding goes away and you have no pain, I would consider this as part of the healing process. You may want to dial back the reckless abandon diet for two of three more months and give the wound the time it needs to strengthen.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Jbl22424 » 29 Jun 2014, 14:32

That is good advice. I think I'll definitely steer clear of popcorn kernels, that's for sure.
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 01 Jul 2014, 03:14

Things sound really great for you... But as fizzman says, the new skin back there will be pretty fragile for a few weeks longer... So maybe save that popcorn for another few weeks!!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Jbl22424 » 29 Jul 2014, 23:45

Hi all,
I am 10 weeks post-LIS. No real issues since the last post except maybe one other small blood incident. I still take 2 tsp of miralax each night. Have been afraid to wean from it because of some travel plans and an unexpected oral surgery which had me on a soft diet, antibiotics, and pain pills for 3 weeks. It's a bit difficult to find soft foods that taste good and are high in fiber. My fiber is usually the crunchy vegetable variety. Anyways, going to wean off the miralax within a month or two but not in a rush. Hope everyone else is doing well!
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist