I'm so fed up please help

In need of support

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

I'm so fed up please help

Postby Susanhalliday » 02 Jul 2014, 03:58

Hi my name is Susan,

I've had an anal fissure now for around 5-6 weeks and I'm in agony every day.

I've been rushed to hospital four times for morphine because it has been that bad.

The doctor has given me cream and laxatives to take but I feel like it isn't getting any better.

I'm so fed up at the moment and I feel depressed.

Can anyone give me some advice or tips in how to cope with this?

Thanks
Susanhalliday

Topics: 2

Re: I'm so fed up please help

Postby Apes » 02 Jul 2014, 06:16

Susan, So sorry to hear you are suffering. I was like you, totally incapacitated after a BM for 6-8 hours. That lasted 3 months. I was very depressed, I tried creams, Nitro and nifedipine to no avail. I finally made the decision to have Botox. I chose that over LIS as I did not want surgery. I could always have surgery at a later date if the botox did not work. Is your doctor a CRS? If not I recommend you go see a CRS ASAP and come up with a plan. If you have not healed or let alone feel any better after 5-6 weeks I would recommend taking the next step. No one should have to live with this pain. He can also prescribe Valium to help with keeping you a bit more calm. Although, technically I have stopped counting, I'm around 55 days into botox and feel great, so i think I'm healed/healing. Good luck
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Alyssa » 02 Jul 2014, 15:56

Susan,

I'm sorry to hear that you are also suffering from this monster and I can definitely understand (we all do) how it can take over your life and is getting unbearable to cope with. I'm pretty sure you know about sitz baths to relive the pain/ spasms; I was doing them constantly too and they relieved a lot of the pain. Definitely go see a CRS since many GP doctors don't know how to handle this or misdiagnose patients (my doctor told me it was a hemorrhoid). Don't wait on this and be very persistent...
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Susanhalliday » 02 Jul 2014, 16:58

Thanks so much for the advice. Excuse the naivety but this is all new to me and I don't know what a sitz bath is?

I'm having trouble sleeping and I'm up all night which means I'm then asleep during the day so my body clock is all over the place.

When it's very painful I scratch it and I know I shouldn't but I can't help it. Is there a risk that the tear will reopen or go worse because of this?

As for surgery, I would definitely be interested in this if it doesn't heal soon but isn't there complications?

Thanks again for your advice I appreciate it
Susanhalliday

Topics: 2

Postby Apes » 02 Jul 2014, 20:01

Susan, sitz bath http://www.md-health.com/Sitz-Bath.html

I prefer taking a regular bath, it's better especially if you have hemmeroids.

I would try not to scratch. Maybe try putting coconut oil on it, it is very soothing.

There is risk to surgery, incontinence. That is why I started with Botox. Botox does have a risk of incontinence but it only last as long as the Botox lasts. Read through the forum there is a lot of good info. Make an appointment with a CRS
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Alyssa » 02 Jul 2014, 20:39

Susan,

I bought my sitz bath on amazon... But they also carry them at Walgreens, Walmart, target and other medical stores..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000533E ... SX200_QL40
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Jbl22424 » 03 Jul 2014, 15:19

Hi Susan - I have had surgery and it went really well for me. I highly recommend it. If you are in agony, you should definitely consider it. No complications for me. Complications seem to be rare.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby MarathonGirl » 04 Jul 2014, 00:25

Hey Susan, I was also in the same kind of agony you are, but didn't realize that the fissure had turned into an infected abscess and fistula. I was misdiagnosed by the first ER doctor I saw, so I wonder if the same thing happened to you. I've had surgery for my fistula twice (getting a third) but no longer have the fissure. ANYTHING is better than having a fissure.
MarathonGirl
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Vintage Doll » 05 Jul 2014, 09:15

I was diagnosed with an anal fissure back in March. I thought I had a bad hemmi but I had the chills and butt pain was horrific. The doctor drained the infection with what supposed to be a local...I nearly climbed the wall in pain. He said there was nothing I could take or apply that would help just take sitz baths 5 times a day. Well that was not a very easy thing to do if your not 90 years old. After 2 weeks, there was no improvement so the ONLY answer was a fisstulotomy. I had 2 trips to Europe scheduled and 2 more conventions...when was I supposed to have this done. Not to mention that every other surgery I've had have been less than successful. I read all I could online, I bought laser lights, terresil cream, nothing would heal it. I toured Europe trying everything I could to keep the infection from going septic again. I am writing this in hopes I don't jinx myself but my husband installed a Bio-bidet to our toilet 2 weeks ago and it has been the fountain from God. My 2 fissure canals are receding and I have been able to sit pain free for nearly a week!
I have been "a day away" from surgery several times but the surgery just doesn't appeal to me. I found the unit for sale on Overstock.com.....its not perfect but this is 1000% easier than a sitz bath. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bi ... 1b2166c2c0
I still have several trips planned and I was paranoid the infection would redevelop that's when I decided on packing a water pick...if it works on bleeding gums why not infected butts! It is a little awkward to use but was effective to keep the infection from spreading. My fissure is not healed but I bio-bidet my bottom every time I'm in the John...the cool water actually helps move things out, I use a green laser light (didn't find the red or blue did anything), wipe with alcohol, apply terresil cream. I have 2 channels and both have receded significantly. My fingers are crossed that in a couple more weeks they will be gone. I'll let you know.
Vintage Doll