Anyone here regret their LIS?

seems like most are glad they did it

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Anyone here regret their LIS?

Postby aimonaali » 15 Jul 2014, 09:48

sotiredofthis wrote:aimonaali, I'm having the same burning pain as you and I'm 10 weeks LIS. Have you ever gotten any answers?

My doctor (not the same who did the LIS) said that since the muscle is more loose, the rectum can somehow "slip out" very mildly. I think it is something like with hemorrhoids, but that just my own speculation and I don't have anything resembling a hemorrhoid.

Today was a bad day for me. The burning was worse than usual and I also had more "leakage" after a BM. I'm almost used to this by now but I'm not sure if I want to be :(
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby asdf123456 » 15 Jul 2014, 11:34

Would you consider corrective surgery to stop the leakage? Or one of those injections? Did a doctor tell you what is anatomically causing the leaking...i.e. a keyhole defect or a weak muscle...Have they given you any options to correct the problem?
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby Beamer23 » 17 Jul 2014, 02:53

I am 6 days post-op... I will not lie to you, somedays it is hard, somedays it is easier. Today I woke up feeling fantastic for the first time in my recovery. However, after a BM later this evening, I was in horrible pain. After 2-3 hours of feeling awful, I am now back to feeling like my recovery is back on track. I realize I have a long way to go, but I try to take it day by day.

My best advise is to really weigh the pros and cons. I found that my DR didn't properly inform me of the lifestyle changes that come with recovery. I was not entirely mentally prepared to have to lie around the house all day for a week. I long to get back to exercising and running errands. If you are finding that having a BM is more unbearable than some of the cons of LIS, then perhaps the surgery is the best option for you. Don't let some of the horror stories on here deter you from pursuing the surgery- keep in mind that every recovery is different. If you follow all of the correct steps, then you should be just fine.

Stay strong and good luck to you in your decision!
Beamer23
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Fellk » 17 Jul 2014, 06:59

Beamer23 wrote:I am 6 days post-op... I will not lie to you, somedays it is hard, somedays it is easier. Today I woke up feeling fantastic for the first time in my recovery. However, after a BM later this evening, I was in horrible pain. After 2-3 hours of feeling awful, I am now back to feeling like my recovery is back on track. I realize I have a long way to go, but I try to take it day by day.

My best advise is to really weigh the pros and cons. I found that my DR didn't properly inform me of the lifestyle changes that come with recovery. I was not entirely mentally prepared to have to lie around the house all day for a week. I long to get back to exercising and running errands. If you are finding that having a BM is more unbearable than some of the cons of LIS, then perhaps the surgery is the best option for you. Don't let some of the horror stories on here deter you from pursuing the surgery- keep in mind that every recovery is different. If you follow all of the correct steps, then you should be just fine.

Stay strong and good luck to you in your decision!

I'd echo this. You don't need that much mental preparation for the surgery itself. I found that was the easy part. I didn't expect the pain level I got. I stayed home from work for 2 days then worked a half day then the weekend and then back fulltime this week. I'm fine now beyond an odd walking shuffle as I've taped my buttcheeks together for less risk. That being said if someone was in my boat (prone to fissures, lots of scar tissue, half a cap of miralax kept things fine and I almost never tore) then you may want to consider just doing what you are doing unless you're prepared for a few bad days.
Fellk
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Bambi2 » 02 Aug 2014, 15:27

No regrets! I am 3 1/2 years post LIS and things are fine. I had slight leakage like someone else described where I needed to do a second wipe maybe 30 minutes after-only enough residue to cause some slight irritation.(I am super sensitive though!) And that went away maybe 8-12 months after surgery with no other intervention. It was mildly annoying, but nothing like having a fissure!!
Bambi
Bambi2