Tried everything else, then LIS

Fissure, botox, LIS surgery.

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Re: Tried everything else, then LIS

Postby HoustonTX » 15 Feb 2014, 18:26

It takes a long time after surgery to have no more discharge or bleeding. I had many visits to my CRS where he would have to cauterize (burn, yes it was painful) the area. Usually close to the time he would do that I started having a little soreness and some bleeding, then it would stop. that went on for a while and eventually he said it was healed and there was nothing left to cauterize. If you had LIS it should help heal new fissures also. You could always decide to have the CRS go back and cut a little more muscle, but I'd wait a long time, like a year (unless you are having severe pain) before doing that.
HoustonTX
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby HoustonTX » 02 Oct 2014, 20:55

Update -
I haven't posted in a while, but I figured I'd give an update. As of at least 6 months ago I finally weaned myself off of Miralax. I reduced the amount very, very gradually. Now my stool stays soft as long as I drink enough water and take the right types of fiber supplements (see above). I also continue to take magnesium and fish oil every day. For general health reasons I try to get natural fiber as well.
As far as the "leakage after LIS" goes, it happens occasionally but is not enough to really cause any issues. I suppose considering the topic of this board I don't need to worry about getting too graphic, but I can wear white underwear and don't get "streak marks" from it. It probalby happens maybe once every 2 weeks. If it does happen, I just wipe one more time about 30 min after and that's the end of it. Also, since I typically shower at night after my bowel movement it wouldn't really matter if it was happening so maybe that's why it's not really an issue. Every now and then (maybe once every 2 months) I've noticed a bit of irritation, typically after I've eaten a lot of spicy food or stuff I shouldn't have eaten (I have a milk allergy). Not sure what this is about, but I just put on some calmoseptine and that knocks it out.
Please keep in mind that for me it took what I consider a VERY long time for me to feel like I was completely healed. I've always been used to different injuries healing in a matter of days or weeks, not months. This took over a year post-LIS. For me it seemed like I kept going to the CRS month every few weeks, he would burn me with those painful acid sticks, or whatever they are, he would keep saying "it's not gone but it's looking OK." Eventually he finally said "it's healed, I don't need to do anything else." Even after that point I still felt some very slight stinging from time to time, but now that is finally gone. I've had a number of "wide" bowel movements since then and thankfully the fissure hasn't returned. I hope others can eventually get to that point as well.
HoustonTX
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby mmklinemm » 02 Oct 2014, 22:17

Thank you for the update! It's so helpful to read positive experiences. Congratulations on doing so well!
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13