Pelvic floor physiotherapy

A sub-forum for those with pain, but no explanation for it. Vent, share, ask, and help others. That is what this little corner is all about!

Return to Chronic Anal and Rectal Pain

Pelvic floor physiotherapy

Postby pafen » 09 Oct 2014, 21:02

Hi,

Just wondering who has tried physical therapy for pelvic floor dysfunction and if it's helped? I went along for a few weeks but it only seemed to flare my pain up after each session.

I was given a pelvic floor Thera wand and was instructed to perform massage, trigger point pressure and release daily. I am just wondering if it's something I would need to stick to for 6 months to see any results? Just that I tried it for a few weeks and it only seemed to flare my pain up so I stopped.
Hemroidectomy, anal abscess, fissure, LIS
Pelvic floor Dysfunction since late 2012
pafen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Re: Pelvic floor physiotherapy

Postby Alyssa » 09 Oct 2014, 23:35

Pafen,

I've been doing physical therapy for several months and honestly I didn't feel that the relief lasted; it feels good when my physical therapist is doing internal work (very uncomfortable at first) but afterwards I still had pain; the Botox worked better for me to lessen the pain. I continue to do my exercises still though but today I'm too tired to do 3 30 minute exercise sets (an hour and a half of exercises a day); I continue to use the wand everyday. My pt suggested self dilation, i am not too fond of it but I ordered my dilators and waiting for them to arrive.

Sorry I wish my experience with pt is more positive but others have found it useful but you may need to try different pt's and that specialize in this therapy.
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26