Previous Chronic AF - Would you opt for a C-Section?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Previous Chronic AF - Would you opt for a C-Section?

Postby UKmama » 22 Oct 2014, 06:46

Hello.

I'm new to this forum (wish I had found it before!) and hoping for some advice.

After I had my daughter 19 months ago I suffered from a chronic anal fissure for around a year. I don't need to tell you all how agonising they are! It cleared eventually after GTN cream, top notch diet and Movicol daily. And quitting breastfeeding.

I'm now pregnant again and my midwife has suggested that a C-section may be a better option in my case than a natural birth. To avoid further fissure risk. My first pregnancy was back to back (I don't know if that makes a difference).

Has anyone been in this position? And can you share with me what you opted for?

Many thanks in advance :)
UKmama

Topics: 1

Re: Previous Chronic AF - Would you opt for a C-Section?

Postby Scientist2516 » 22 Oct 2014, 08:19

Hi UKmama,
I was lucky not to have a fissure until my children were older, but I just want to share that both of mine were born by C-section (the first was breach) and it was fine, the healing was quick. I have no regrets about having the C section, and now I've had a fissure, I'd definitely choose a C section again. Not that I'm planning on more babies, far from it, but if I were, that's what I'd do.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Ulrika » 02 Feb 2015, 00:50

Hi UKmama, What did you decide? How r you holding up with the fissure & pregnancy?
Ulrika
Fibre Addict

Postby jlm1 » 02 Feb 2015, 20:41

I'm not pregnant yet but am hoping to be soon. I have a 2 year old, whom I had a c section with. (after hours of pushing of course!) I didn't get my fissure from childbirth; I got it 18 months after my daughter was born form a a hard stool and possibly because my tailbone area shifted during pregnancy and made the area conducive to fissures. Anyway, after going through this fissure hell there is NO WAY I will try to push a baby out. I will definitely have another c section. I really don't think that part of my body could take any more trauma.
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Ulrika » 02 Feb 2015, 22:44

Hi Jim1, What about the c-section recovery ? I think that sounds scary. Plus the issue of getting very constipated after the surgery.... but "pushing" out a baby sounds like an absolute recipe for fissure re-tear.
Ulrika
Ulrika
Fibre Addict

Postby jlm1 » 03 Feb 2015, 11:30

I mean surgery is surgery and I do agree that when possible, vaginal delivery is best. However, in my case I think it would be worse. I have had hemorrhoids and constipation issues my whole life so getting a fissure may have been inevitable in my case. And, like I mentioned, I went through many hours of labor and pushing (her head was right there!) but in the end I needed a section. I do think that all that pushing weakened the area.
Don't get me wrong, c section recovery was longer. I needed to take more care and I was more limited. Cutting through abdominal muscle is no joke. BUT now I know things I didn't before. Like truly take a few months of no exercise to heal and build the core up again by doing pilates/ pelvic exercises. I didn't get constipated after the surgery. I used suppositories, NO PUSHING OR STRAINING and I ate good foods and stayed hydrated. I think I also took stool softeners right away. For me, I think pushing a baby out would be a bad, bad idea. I want to enjoy the time with a new baby and not be in fissure hell.
Let's face it, I could get another fissure without the pushing of a baby but I have no desire to give this any help, LOL
In the end, I really believe that saying, "We plan, God laughs!" So who knows! But I am grateful that we have the option of a section. I will certainly get one if I have another child. And honestly, it's healed and over before you know it and at least that other part of your body stays intact :)
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22