New member LIS surgery and fissurectomy yesterday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: New member LIS surgery and fissurectomy yesterday

Postby Deleted User 5 » 08 Feb 2008, 07:16

Amber,
Hang in there. I know there were times after my LIS that I had regretted the surgery, wished I hadn't done it, and I had pain and a horrible time with my first BM, as I became acutely constipated immediately after the surgery. I went through Hell, but from my current perspective I would still do it again.
Your worst week will be the first and you will see improvements soon. Keep your stools soft and fluffy.
I didn't like the toradal and stopped using it, too.
Deleted User 5

Postby juney » 08 Feb 2008, 10:33

it sounds like you're in a lot of pain, so stopping the pain meds probably isn't an option for you. but from my experience, percocet was a bad idea. i took 4 over the course of the day after surgery and didn't have a BM for 3 or 4 days after that. needless to say i was freaking out and extremely irritable by then too. i cut out the narcotics immediately, and started taking 800mg of ibuprofen a couple times a day. this should help with the pain, but won't back up your system like prescriptions will.

it might help to drink some prune juice and take some milk of magnesia before you go to bed tonight. tomorrow when you wake up you should have a soft-runny BM. then hop right in the bath to soothe your butt. the worst thing to happen right now is to push out a hard BM. that happened to me right after my 2nd surgery and it had me in tears for a loooong time. you'll get thru these first few weeks soon, don't worry!!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 08 Feb 2008, 10:45

I couldn't imagine not taking any pain pills. I just talked to my doctor's nurse. She said my muscles were spasming because I worked myself up?!? I thought that was what the surgery was for? I never had pain like this before. She also said it was okay not to have a BM yet as my entire body was put too sleep. She told me to do the MOM tonight too. I've taken it the last two nights though. I've also been eating prunes. I'm starting to feel like maybe I need to and I am terrified. I know I need to calm down. It's just so hard to do that.

Postby Guest » 08 Feb 2008, 11:04

When I had surgery last month I was so bound up for days. I was so bloated because I hadn't gone to the bathroom. It did come though. It is normal that things be delayed when you are getting over the effects from the GA.

Just follow their instructions and treat the pain. Don't wait until you are in despair before you take something because it will make it harder to catch up with the pain and just make you feel out of control. I am wondering if they could switch you to Vicodin. Percocet can really disagree with some people. I know it makes me feel really out of sorts so I had to call and ask for a different prescription.

Tkae the Xanax if you need to. Keep yourself comfortable as much as you can, take your baths and rest. Stay in bed and check in with us later. It might make it worse for you to sit at the computer.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 08 Feb 2008, 11:28

If you read my surgery thread, you'll see I went though the same thing (except my spasms never came back) I was constipated for two or three days and it was awful. But I made it through and you will too.
The thread is called "Hugh: A perfect @ss" and it's long and buried way in the back pages, but you might get an idea that recovery is not so straightforward for some of us!
I would up taking laxatives and while they eventually got me back to where I needed to be, even that was problematic.
Deleted User 5

Postby val » 08 Feb 2008, 13:02

Hi Amber,
I had the LIS, a fistulotomy, and a skin tag removed and he said that the fissure was 12cm. That was 4 weeks ago now, and although those first 2 days were awful, when it started to get better it got better pretty quickly. I couldn't take any pain killers (because I'm allergic )except paracetamol which was useless, but in a way that was a good thing because I didn't have to deal with any side effects.
It will take time for your body to get back into its normal BM routine. Dont rush it, it will happen when its ready. It is terrifying, thats what I was scared of most, but nothing is ever as bad as what you imagine it will be. After the first one you will feel so much better about everything, and this time next week, you should feel so much stronger-a week really will make all the difference.
I know how horrible all this is for you, my thoughts are with you.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 5 » 08 Feb 2008, 13:14

Yes, I agree with Val! Keep telling yourself it is all uphill from here (once you get regular again).
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 08 Feb 2008, 14:52

Dear Amber , you went through so much , I am soo sorry that you have to deal with all of this at your young age : (. I had LIS and fissurectomy 7 weeks ago and I can tell you that fissurectomy is probably the one that gives you all that extra pain. I know it is hard to wait for that first BM, I panicked second day and than I remembered that coffee always made me go before I had butt problems (I stopped having coffee when I got fissure ) . So I took a sip of coffee and went to the bathroom right away. It did not hurt much, actually it was MUCH less painful that before surgery - I was stunned !!!! So, try to relax and eat something that will "make you go". Try eating some fresh fruit followed immediately with little bit of coffee - I know that would send me to the bathroom instantaneously ; ). BUT, everybody is different. Can you think of a situation when you ate something and had to run to the bathroom ??? If nothing works Milk of Magnesia MUST!
Best of luck and believe me, of all the pain that you went through , you will be surprised how your BM will not be even close to what you expect !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 08 Feb 2008, 18:44

I finaly had a BM. It was very loose and not much. It burned a good bit, but was bearable. My doctor's refuse to change my meds. They will not change the toradol, even though I had a bad reaction. They just told me not to take it anymore. At the hospital the nurse gave me the toradol twice in my IV when I woke up because I already felt pain. She told my and my mom that the toradol was for pain and would help me take less perkocet. The nurse to my actual doctor said the toradol was an inti-inflammatory and was not for pain. I'm hoping the nurse in the recovery room didn't mess me up in someway. I have a lap top so I've been laying down and typing. Thanks for all of your help once again.

Postby Guest » 08 Feb 2008, 19:34

I was given Toradol when I had surgery this Summer both in the hospital and at home and although it is an anti-inflammatory this helps to reduce pain and I found it pretty effective. But it isn't something you want to be on for more than a week at a time because it can cause kidney impairment.

You might want to try taking ibuprofen inbetween percocet doses. I was told by my doctor that I could take 800 mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day. You might want to check with your doctor first because some doctor don't want you to take it right after surgery but that along with the narcotics really seem to help with pain.

Keep up on your baths and try not to worry. You are doing just fine.