New member LIS surgery and fissurectomy yesterday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: New member LIS surgery and fissurectomy yesterday

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Feb 2008, 06:25

Amber,
Your experience sounds so much like mine. I had that burning too after I finally had a loose BM after my surgery. It was pretty intense, too. But as soon as my stools firmed up some, the burning stopped.
I found a hot bath right after the BM, a whirlpool/hot tub was even better.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 09 Feb 2008, 09:41

Hi. I'm still in a good deal of pain. The pain meds or baths don't put a dent in the pain and I still keep feeling spasms. I didn't have spasms this badly with my fissure. I'm so scared something isn't right. I didn't have this much pain with my other surgery and he made it seem like the recovery from this surgery would be easier. I'm in so much pain that I just can not stand it. My experience seems so much more different than everybody elses. I'm just so scared that something went wrong.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Feb 2008, 10:32

Amber, That sure doesn't sound right if you had LIS, the spasms should be gone. The soreness wouldn't be gone yet, and I'm concerned. Did the pain lessen any during the second half of yesterday?
If your pain continues at the intensity you describe, you simply must see someone. Call your CRS and see if there isn't someone on call -- the group I used always had someone that would call back.
If you can't get through, I'd return to the ER of the facility where you had the operation. At the very least they can help ease your pain, and might even see what's going on.
Please, though, don't do "nothing" if that major pain continues...
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 09 Feb 2008, 13:51

Amber I am so sorry to hear that you are in major pain : ((( still !!!
It is strange that you still have spasms ! Sometimes they do not cut right place or right muscle - believe it or not, but your CRS sounds like experienced one and I am doubting that he missed the target. Your pain should be less and less each day, not more and more. Especially now that you had your BM without problems : (. But, everybody is different and you had those other procedures done not long ago- maybe now you have some compounding pain that needs time to go away. In any case, check with your doctor - it is their job
to help you !!!
All the best !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby val » 10 Feb 2008, 03:56

I'm so sorry that you're having to go through all this, its so disheartening and worrying, but I think you should be calling someone and getting things checked out. Dont take "no" for an answer-if you think there is something wrong, then you know your own body better than any doctor so keep on and on at them until they check you over properly.
Best of luck, I hope you get a relief from all the pain soon.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 10 Feb 2008, 10:07

The pain is not lessening or getting worse just the same stinging pain all the time. I'll take pain pills and go to sleep and wake up with some of the pain gone. I've had 2 more BM and they've been fine. Painful, but no worse than the constant stinging pain. The doctors said Friday that I shoudn't need as much pain meds after the weekend, but the pain has not gone away at all. I'm going to call my doctor on Monday. The on call doctor is a complete jerk and acts like I'm on drugs and like I am making the pain up. I am so tired of this. There is no way I can go back to work on Thursday.

Postby Guest » 10 Feb 2008, 11:14

I have always been amazed at how doctors will give patients unrealistic "goals" for healing. I hate when they say "you shouldn't need pain meds after X amount of time.

I hope you can get in to see him tomorrow. If you should be better and you are not then its needs to be seen about.

You can tell my butt hurts and I am in a bad mood!

Postby Fissulyna » 10 Feb 2008, 13:44

Dear Amber, I don't think it is realistic that you will go to work Thursday considering that you are PE teacher as far as I understood from your previous posts.
Are you feeling better today since you do not mention spasms any more ? Stinging is coming from fssurectomy part of your surgery - it was case with me. I would have describe it more like "prickling" pain and burning, but everybody is different. It lasted for quite a while- 3-4 weeks I think . It is very encouraging that you have normal BMs , it looks like you are on the way of healing. It will definitely take time, anybody who had fissurectomy had longer healing period than people who just had LIS. But, just to be safe go and let them look at the incision site to make sure there is no fungal or bacterial infection present.
Wishing you fast recovery : ) !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Deleted User 5 » 10 Feb 2008, 18:26

If it is the stinging, then you really need to eat more fibrous fruits and veggies and try to get your stools firmer, maybe not even "fluffy" but certainly not hard. Just nice and firm.
I only had the severe stinging when I had loose or even fluffy BMs.
Good luck and I hope you are better!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 11 Feb 2008, 00:52

G'day Amber
My prayers & thoughts are with you during this time of shocking pain. I had an LIS 3 weeks ago. They removed several external & internal haemorrhoids, 3 skin tags, 2 polyps and fixed the anal fissure. All the advice that Lecia, Kim, Val, Juney etc have given to you & will continue to give, is priceless. A lot of the pain I experienced during the first 10-12 days was made bearable because I knew there were people in this forum who were thinking of me, praying for me & encouraging me to ride out the storm.
If there was anything I could add to the advice & support that these wonderful people have already given to you, Amber, it would be this bit of spiritual wisdom:
The way to reduce pain is to change the way you behold it. Nothing is painful in & of itself. Pain is a result of wrong thought. It is an error in thinking. Pain results from a judgement you have made about a thing. Remove the judgement & the pain diappears. Judgement is often based on previous experience. Your idea about a thing derives from a prior idea about that thing. Your prior idea results from a still prior idea - and that idea from another, & so forth, until you get all the way back in the hall of mirrors to "first thought". All thought is creative & no thought is more powerful than original thought. That is why this is sometimes also called original sin.
Original sin is when your first thought about a thing is in error. That error is compounded many times over when you have a second or third thought about a thing.
So when it's time to have a BM, try to think positively & don't fill your mind with thoughts of pain. It's difficult, I don't deny that. But as time went by I was able to control my thoughts a lot more & this really helped the pain to be more bearable.
You will get better quickly & you will grow wiser from the experience.
Just remember we're all here for you.