LIS recovery questions

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS recovery questions

Postby msimon » 16 Nov 2014, 01:44

Hi all. I had LIS with skin tag removal and cauterization of a hemmie(s) on Thursday and am in so much pain I can hardly move. I have a lot of swelling and have been oozing all day every day. Is any of this normal? Should I not be taking NSAIDS maybe? I am so worried something has gone terrible wrong :sadd:
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Re: LIS recovery questions

Postby Roidsfizzman » 17 Nov 2014, 11:49

Hi Msimon,

I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. You have had a lot done and it is going to take time to heal. You should expect 6 to 8 weeks for the recovery process. Your should start felling better in 5 or 6 days post LIS. Keep taking your pain meds to help you get through the tuff time. If your oozing is clean blood you should not be concerned as it will decrease with time. If your oozing is pus or mucus with a foul smell, then, you should contact your doctor about a possible infection. Take your temp to insure that you are not running a fever.

It is common to have a little leakage or no gas control after LIS as everything is swollen and you do not have full control of your muscles. You will start to gain control in a couple of weeks after the swelling goes down. If you are starting to feel a little better each day, then, you are on the path to recovery.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby msimon » 17 Nov 2014, 18:24

Thanks Roids. I retore my fissure today on a hard BM so it's looks like this is still going to get worse before it gets better:( Is it normal to have trouble with BMs in the sense that you can't really tell when you need to go (as well as what it is)? I couldn't even tell that my BM this am was hard? Was a total shock! I also get these attacks throughout the day where I think I may need to go but I don't think I do (like it goes really loose down there). I am hoping this gets better when some tone returns? When does some tone return?

DH says the swelling is coming down which is a relief. I am such a worry wart and this is truly torture for me. Your reassuring words are so very nice to hear. The blood oozing does not seem to indicate infection I am just surprised that it goes on all day and night, especially when I am moving around. Is this an okay amount? When should it start to lessen? Does anyone know when stitches should dissolve as now I am feeling those prickling down there.
msimon

Postby msimon » 22 Nov 2014, 16:45

Thanks Roids. Is puss when it is thick and yellow-white with some particles in it? I started some penicillin today, do you think that will help or does something always need to be drained. I am so swollen and sore I would want some of that pressure relieved! I will call my Doc Monday morning.
msimon

Postby Turk the cat » 22 Nov 2014, 17:13

Just want to give a quick shout out to Roidsfizzman. He (surely a he?) has given some good reads in threads I've been catching up on (I hadn't really been on this site since last December.)

Where else but here would adults of both sexes be discussing the usage of kotex, and other sanitary products? LOL

I will probably be starting a thread about the type(s) of dressings to use post surgery...

Yer the man, Roidsfizzman.
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Topics: 16