LIS Recovery Diary

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS Recovery Diary

Postby amir650 » 12 Jul 2017, 20:39

Hi,

I've been lurking on this site for a long time. I went through the creams for over a year dealing with a chronic anal fissure. I believe this was introduced after I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid removed in urgent care. I'm an active male, 38 years old with IBS-C that I've managed to 'resolve' with great probiotics, vegetable powder, and clean eating. Unfortunately, it took around 8 years to figure this all out, and my butt paid the price for it lol.

Today I bit the bullet and had the LIS surgery performed at Stanford Hospital after having tried the Botox 8 weeks ago. This is my recovery diary.

Day 1: Surgery was very quick, and painless. The Dr is a rockstar. Woke up with no pain. Dr prescribed lidocaine, norco, and stool softeners. I took the dressing off and used a portable mirror to look at the surgery site and it kind of looks like a war zone. Is this normal? There is a lot of swelling on one side (it almost looks like a hemmy). Prior to surgery there was no swelling. Came home, ate soup, melon, pear juice, and a little coffee. Fearing the first bowel movement at the moment.

I'll check back in tomorrow.
amir650

Topics: 1

Re: LIS Recovery Diary

Postby amir650 » 13 Jul 2017, 23:23

Day 2: Pooped - no bleeding. Lots of swellling on my rear and a feeling of being bruised down there, but no fissure pain when pooping. I didn't have to take any pain medication (I do have a high pain threshold). Hoping the end is in sight.
amir650

Postby Laurieb » 15 Jul 2017, 08:47

Welcome to the other side Amir and glad to learn you're doing well! You're one of the very few lucky with no postop pain.

Concerning the swelling, it's absolutely normal. A surgical incision takes 7 to 10 days to heal, and this area is particularly sensitive. It's been 2 weeks since I had my LIS done and I feel the swelling went down a lot after 10 days.
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby amir650 » 16 Jul 2017, 00:29

Thanks for the kind words Laurie. Do you mind me asking how long it took for the actual fissure to heal in your case? Day 3 for me and I feel good overall, but I think the fissure will take time to heal.
amir650

Postby Laurieb » 16 Jul 2017, 13:11

I never felt the fissure site and associated spasms after LIS, but the incision pain was more present in the first week. I read few times that it takes 4 to 6 weeks for the fissure to heal after having a LIS.
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby raoden » 17 Jul 2017, 19:21

I am close to 6 weeks after surgery. Saw my CRS today and was told my fissure is nearly healed. I think it differs from person to person, but I think 4 to 6 weeks seems quite common. Also my CRS said it is not uncommon for it to take a lot longer.
raoden
Salt Bather

Topics: 5