Hello forum

I AM AT WIT'S END! >.<

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello forum

Postby OwMyAss » 06 Dec 2014, 15:33

Hey all, my name's Matt, I'm 26 (going on 27 in February) and I've had an anal fissure on & off for 4 years now. Will be 5 next year. And as it states in the topic description, I've had it! Absolutely had it with this BS! Around the end of 2010/beginning of 2011 I got it to heal using mineral oil and stool softeners. Then it re-tore in 2012 and found this product called H-Fissues, by amoils. Perhaps some of you have heard of it. That stuff worked. Healed it in about 2 weeks, no more pain; no more bleeding! Re-tore yet again sometime in the beginning of 2013 and once again used H-Fissures and got it to heal. Several months later, about fall 2013, here we go again! >.< And this time it returned with a vengeance! Tried H-Fissures again, doesn't work. I used it for months and nothing! And according to amoils, they recently changed the formula. Dunno if that may be the reason why it doesn't work anymore, or if the fissure just gotten worse. Anyway, I went to the doctor and they prescribed me nitroglycerin ointment which I've been using for the past 4 weeks and I just don't see any improvement. I'm eating plenty of fiber, drinking plenty of water, even take one stool softener and a tablespoon of flaxseed oil every night after dinner. Yet it's constantly sore, it still bleeds from time to time. Sometimes quite a bit, other times not much, and often times not at all. Oddly enough there will be some blood present after applying the nitroglycerin ointment with a Q-tip, but then won't bleed at all after a bowel movement. And sometimes it'll bleed after passing a soft stool, like this morning for example. There was quite a bit of blood too, even a few droplets in the toilet. God, I just don't understand why it isn't healing anymore! I mean off & on is one thing but this past year it's been totally relentless! I don't know what to do. I don't have insurance and I'm on medicaid so I really don't want to get surgery using that because who knows what kind of job they'll do. With my luck they'll probably make the problem much worse! I just don't know what to do anymore. Each and every time I find blood present after a bowel movement, I feel like ramming my head into a brick wall! It is astoundingly frustrating! Any advice anyone? It would be greatly appreciated.
OwMyAss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Hello forum

Postby Savaici » 06 Dec 2014, 22:37

Sorry you are going through the trialsso many of us do. I have had problems since 2011, and in the end I have just learnt to live with it. Occasional bleeding, pain, and so on.

My suggestions: don't put the nitro inside with the q-tip. It is absorbed through the skin so just use it on the outside as you could be digging yourself, hence the blood. Do you have the terrible spasms or just pain for a bit after a BM?

One thing that has helped me is taking a multi-vitamin. My body was just worn out and lacking in so many things. Takes time, but this helped me to get to a stage where I could function. I also used soaking in a Sitz bath as an aid and still do.

Surgery for fissures is really regarded as a pretty simple thing (to the docs, not to us) so 'even' though you are on Medicaid, that is no reason that they would not do a good job, if you see a colon and rectal surgeon (CRS). A lot of other countries have social medicine and doctors operate on patients in those countries all the time. You are young, so you really just have to bite the bullet if you feel frustrated by it all. By the way, hemorrhoids can bleed from time to time, so could be that you have taken on a few of those. 90% of humanity does... I bleed from time to time, and have just stopped worrying about it.

Anyway, :wel: to the place that no one wants to be, but we are a friendly and helpful lot!!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby OwMyAss » 07 Dec 2014, 00:40

Savaici wrote:Sorry you are going through the trialsso many of us do. I have had problems since 2011, and in the end I have just learnt to live with it. Occasional bleeding, pain, and so on.

My suggestions: don't put the nitro inside with the q-tip. It is absorbed through the skin so just use it on the outside as you could be digging yourself, hence the blood. Do you have the terrible spasms or just pain for a bit after a BM?

One thing that has helped me is taking a multi-vitamin. My body was just worn out and lacking in so many things. Takes time, but this helped me to get to a stage where I could function. I also used soaking in a Sitz bath as an aid and still do.

Surgery for fissures is really regarded as a pretty simple thing (to the docs, not to us) so 'even' though you are on Medicaid, that is no reason that they would not do a good job, if you see a colon and rectal surgeon (CRS). A lot of other countries have social medicine and doctors operate on patients in those countries all the time. You are young, so you really just have to bite the bullet if you feel frustrated by it all. By the way, hemorrhoids can bleed from time to time, so could be that you have taken on a few of those. 90% of humanity does... I bleed from time to time, and have just stopped worrying about it.

Anyway, :wel: to the place that no one wants to be, but we are a friendly and helpful lot!!

Thank you for the warm welcome, Savaici, and also for your help/advice and sympathy. :) And yes, the doctor also instructed me not to put the nitroglycerin inside the anus, but rather on the outside. But I haven't really been digging it inside, but rather pushed slightly into the sphincter very lightly. But perhaps I should start trying to put it around the outer part of my anus.

And man, I wish I could be more like you. Just not letting it worry me anymore, but it's completely screwing with my life! How does one not worry about it or at the very least, even just think about it? I can't focus on a damned thing when I get a flare up! >.<

Multivitamins, huh? What kind? I may look into that, thank you. :) And yes, I have experienced spasms before in the past after a re-tear, but lately I haven't been experiencing that. It's mostly just burning after a BM (like someone died out a cigar in my butt-hole) and itching. But hell, I'll take itching over burning and soreness any day! Also, no, I have not tried a Sitz bath only because I'm on a bit of a budget right now and they're like $60! >.< I mean it's bad enough the H-Fissures formula was $35 for a tiny 11ml bottle and I went through dozens of them. So I dunno, I might try it someday as a last resort.

Yeah, I know that the surgery is pretty minor and all, but still. I've heard of people getting it and then having it re-tear and after that point they don't operate on it again. So you're pretty much screwed. So I want to try and let it heal naturally. But I just don't understand why I've gotten it to heal before, and now it's being stubborn! Also, no, I don't have hemorrhoids. I've been seeing the doctor every 8 weeks and I'm sure she would tell me if I did. Anyway, I think I'll shoot for surgery as a very last resort. Thanks again for your response! :)

One more thing, I dunno if this happens to the rest of you, but every time I type up a new post and try to submit it, it redirects me back to the log in page. WTF?! >.< Luckily I'm able to go back to the previous page, copy everything I typed, sign back in and paste it.
OwMyAss
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 07 Dec 2014, 23:05

Hi OwMyAss,
a sitz bath from Walgreens can be as little as $12, like this one:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/nova-s ... sku6086102

Some people soak in a tub. It depends how much of a hassle it is for you to sit with your bottom in water vs get fully undress, soak, dry off and dress again.

Personally I use a hot water bottle (warm, not hot), because I don't like the whole get-wet-dry-off routine. You can sit on a warm hot water bottle all day if you want to.

So your diet and stool softener routine isn't helping you with pain and bleeding. Are your stools actually soft, ie is the stool softener enough? Or too soft? since diarrhoea is bad too. Maybe it's something in your diet that's irritating you, and making your stools acidic or inflammatory.

I hope you can get an answer, Ow.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby OwMyAss » 08 Dec 2014, 02:04

Scientist2516 wrote:Hi OwMyAss,
a sitz bath from Walgreens can be as little as $12, like this one:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/nova-s ... sku6086102

Some people soak in a tub. It depends how much of a hassle it is for you to sit with your bottom in water vs get fully undress, soak, dry off and dress again.

Personally I use a hot water bottle (warm, not hot), because I don't like the whole get-wet-dry-off routine. You can sit on a warm hot water bottle all day if you want to.

So your diet and stool softener routine isn't helping you with pain and bleeding. Are your stools actually soft, ie is the stool softener enough? Or too soft? since diarrhoea is bad too. Maybe it's something in your diet that's irritating you, and making your stools acidic or inflammatory.

I hope you can get an answer, Ow.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?! Okay, that's weird. Last time I went to Walgreens they only had one and it was $60 dollars. Either an employee goofed up on the price tag or someone moved it, sometimes I don't bother reading the tags. Oh well. :/ But yeah I guess I'll try the Sitz bath one of these days.

I've tried soaking in the tub, but strangely enough it'll be sore as all hell about an hour afterward. No idea why. So I just gave up on baths all together. One thing I find odd is the pain will go away after sitting down for about an hour or so, but will get worse if I stand up and grow progressively worse the more I'm standing. But lately I've been noticing the pain getting slightly better, so hopefully it's healing. I mean it feels much better than it did about 6 - 8 months ago. It's just so unpredictable though.

For example, yesterday, it bled after a BM. And quite a bit too, there was a large blot of blood on the toilet paper and some droplets in the toilet too. The stool was soft too, and no, not like diarrhea, more like toothpaste. Not much pain though; just a bit but it was tolerable. Then the next day, I go the bathroom, stool isn't as soft as the day before but still soft and no blood! I just don't understand what's going on down there...

Anyway, thank you so much for your reply Scientist. :)
OwMyAss
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 08 Dec 2014, 12:16

Yeah, it's very confusing, I know. I went through some of the same problems with unpredictable pain. Toothpaste consistency is good, try to keep it there.

About the baths - I have to say that I found the sitz bath very painful, and soaking in the tub not much better. The sitz bath doesn't support the anus, and something about the position of lying in the tub just bothered my bottom. That's why I switched to hot water bottles, and never looked back. However, a LOT of people on this forum swear by the tub and the sitz bath. Everyone is different. You just have to find out what works for you.

I also found that sitting was good and standing was bad. That's not unusual, I don't think.

It's great if the pain is diminishing. Keep up the good work on healing!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby hurtinend » 09 Dec 2014, 10:11

sorry you are here. I have struggled with the "evil" going on 7 years now. When I first got it it was pure hell, dominated my every waking moment, controlled my life. Did the nitro cream and all that, slowly, VERY slowly, it improved. Then I would have a setback, then it would improve, then another setback - you get the picture.

At the moment its okay, never been as bad as when I first got it.

couple of suggestions that help me:

- dont wipe after bm - dab the area with wet toilet paper, dab dab, change the paper, wet it and dab dab
- use Cetaphil (thats what its called in Canada) to clean the area - its a gentle skin cleanser, fragrance free
- keep the area DRY - very important - use a dab of baby powder on a cotton swab and stick it there, then put on underwear
- eat a BLAND diet, not too many spices or harsh flavors
- take magnesium citrate - its quite cheap and is good for softening stool (better than stool softeners and better for you)

doing those things have helped me a LOT - give it a try. Trust me i have tried everything, researched this condition for countless hours. Only thing i havent done is surgery, but im good enough at the moment that i can live with it.

good luck man, keep in touch here.

R - from Canada
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby OwMyAss » 11 Dec 2014, 23:23

Scientist2516 wrote:Yeah, it's very confusing, I know. I went through some of the same problems with unpredictable pain. Toothpaste consistency is good, try to keep it there.

About the baths - I have to say that I found the sitz bath very painful, and soaking in the tub not much better. The sitz bath doesn't support the anus, and something about the position of lying in the tub just bothered my bottom. That's why I switched to hot water bottles, and never looked back. However, a LOT of people on this forum swear by the tub and the sitz bath. Everyone is different. You just have to find out what works for you.

I also found that sitting was good and standing was bad. That's not unusual, I don't think.

It's great if the pain is diminishing. Keep up the good work on healing!

Thanks again! I'll have to give it a try sometime. :)
OwMyAss
Fibre Addict

Postby OwMyAss » 11 Dec 2014, 23:33

hurtinend wrote:sorry you are here. I have struggled with the "evil" going on 7 years now. When I first got it it was pure hell, dominated my every waking moment, controlled my life. Did the nitro cream and all that, slowly, VERY slowly, it improved. Then I would have a setback, then it would improve, then another setback - you get the picture.

At the moment its okay, never been as bad as when I first got it.

couple of suggestions that help me:

- dont wipe after bm - dab the area with wet toilet paper, dab dab, change the paper, wet it and dab dab
- use Cetaphil (thats what its called in Canada) to clean the area - its a gentle skin cleanser, fragrance free
- keep the area DRY - very important - use a dab of baby powder on a cotton swab and stick it there, then put on underwear
- eat a BLAND diet, not too many spices or harsh flavors
- take magnesium citrate - its quite cheap and is good for softening stool (better than stool softeners and better for you)

doing those things have helped me a LOT - give it a try. Trust me i have tried everything, researched this condition for countless hours. Only thing i havent done is surgery, but im good enough at the moment that i can live with it.

good luck man, keep in touch here.

R - from Canada

Seven years?! GAH- that's brutal! >.< Yeah mine just seems like it can't make up it's mind. One day I'll feel great, even after a BM. No blood; no pain. Then the next day for no reason it'll just be sore all day after a BM. Regardless if there were blood present or not. It's driving me bat-sh*t crazy!

Thanks, but that's pretty much what I've been doing. I used to use fragrance free wipes but between that, the prune juice, the stool softeners and the flaxseed oil, I'm already on a tight budget as it is. So I stopped buying them. But wetting the toilet paper seems to help a ton. So thank you for the tip nonetheless. :) I'll have to try the baby powder thing though. However, I have to ask, is it okay to mix baby powder with the nitroglycerin ointment? They got me putting that crap in my booty 3x a day. And I'll have to try the magnesium citrate sometime. Although the flaxseed oil seems to be doing the trick so far. I'll look into the Cetaphil as well. I think I've seen it before at Walgreens somewhere, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah I don't want to get the surgery unless I absolutely, honest-to-god have no other choice. Anyway, thanks a lot for the positive feedback and tips. :)
OwMyAss
Fibre Addict

Postby hurtinend » 16 Dec 2014, 10:15

yes 7 years

goes away, comes back - sigh

i cant comment on using the baby powder with nitro ointment. Seems the 2 would not mix that well. Once you are done with the nitro, you could then try the baby powder/cotton ball...of course im not a doctor but thats what I would do.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52