Sphincderectomy successful

6 months of pain finally healed

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Sphincderectomy successful

Postby Pamela » 07 Jan 2015, 09:03

I just wanted to share my story to help anybody suffering from what I think was the most painful thing I have ever endured. For 6 months I suffered daily pain that felt like a wasp stinging my butt! The pain would be anywhere from 2-5 hours a day almost every day. I lost my clients because I am a counsellor and I couldn't sit down for more than 10 minutes before the pain became all consuming and I knew that my clients wouldn't be getting the best of my care so I had to refer them to other professionals. My surgeon didn't realise how much this condition affected my life and told me not to worry about losing my practice. I couldn't believe the reality that the health professionals are so ignorant of the intensity of fissure pain. I had the complications of 2 fissures and hemroids which flared up with all of the medication designed to increase the blood flow to the area. After having to quit my study and my job because both things required hours of sitting down I finally succumbed to the obvious need for surgery. I am so grateful that my surgeon is conservative regarding sphincderectomies and once she explained that the operation was irreversible I appreciated her conservative approach even more! The pain of having surgery was intense but not as bad as the fissures. I had relief from the fissures almost instantly and I am 3 weeks post op and have not suffered any pain related to the fissures which is absolutely wonderful and quite frankly life changing because I can finally go back to school and begin to build up my practice once again. I have very minor pain from the surgery which my doctor says could take 3 or 4 more weeks to heal completely. It is very easy to get pain relief from the surgical procedure in comparison to the fissures which didn't respond to basic pain medication. I have no leaking and I can actually pass wind without struggling because my sphincter was so ridiculously tight that I couldn't even fart! I know it's unbelievable to imagine a person cannot pass gas without a massive effort but that was my predicament! I honestly can't emphasise enough that the surgical option was the best thing I have done to get the pain relief and long awaited healing. If you have been suffering for many months I really understand what you are going through and how much it can affect your life. Be encouraged to speak with a surgeon and take the time to ask questions about a conservative approach to the sphincderectomy. I can only say that I thank God this hideous pain has finally come to an end. There is help out there but be sure to find a surgeon willing to give you the option of a conservative approach to minimise the risk of side affects. All the best for your quick recovery from someone who understands your pain.....
Pamela
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Sphincderectomy successful

Postby Scientist2516 » 07 Jan 2015, 09:26

Hi Pamela,
thank you very much for posting your story. I'm really glad the operation worked for you! Good luck with your career, and I hope you continue to heal and remain pain free. It's always really encouraging to hear great success stories like yours.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby chachacha » 09 Jan 2015, 17:51

Yes, thank you for sharing. I'm going in for my LIS in a couple of weeks, and it's really nice to hear about a successful outcome.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Deleted User 4018 » 11 Jan 2015, 15:52

Thanks for posting, it's so good to know that something works! (Jan 2015: I'm waiting for botox). I agree that being unable to sit down is a real problem. I've been standing up to work on a computer for months now, luckily in my job I can do that. However at the hospital the other day I complained that there was no sofa /couch for me to recline gracefully on in the waiting area. I just stood waiting and waiting until I started to feel rather faint, until finally I was called in to see the consultant. How daft is that? At home I lie on my bed most of the time as even reclining on the sofa to watch TV can get uncomfortable.
How come these fissures don't respond to basic pain medication? Isn't it odd? One doctor actually asked me why I'd been taking ibuprofen for so long! Dumbest question ever. Why indeed huh? 5% lidocaine cream from the doctor does not help. I get some help from 400mg ibuprofen and a hot water bottle clamped between my legs. I bought a TENS machine- the electrode pads distract the mind a little bit from the aching pain I suppose, as does lying very still reading in bed until the pain subsides.
Deleted User 4018