Should I have surgery or wait?

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

Should I have surgery or wait?

Postby JonnyJ » 08 Feb 2015, 15:16

Hi just wondering if anyone can look at this & tell me what it looks like. Bear with me, it's kind of graphic in a way but I'm sure many of you have seen or dealt with similar issue. I have this fleshy thing outside my anus a couple months ago it was very painful when I'd go, I was told by a CRS that it was thrombosed then and he wanted to do hemorrhoidectamy. Another CRS told me if it felt better no need for surgery. I still bleed on occasion. It's still a tiny bit tender but no longer terribly painful. The pain and degree of swelling seems to come and go. Is this something, at age 32, I should live with for now, or have a hemorrhoidectamy? It seems a bit drastic a step to have the full surgery and the second CRS did not think there was
a need for it now. I still have occasional bright red spotting when I have bowel movement. But no major pain. I keep the area as clean as I can and do sitz baths every day and do the right diet things. Is postponing surgery postponing the inevitable, or should I skip it and just keep doing as I am now? Right now it's pinkish looking and not really painful but like I mentioned a couple months ago it was extremely swollen and inflamed. Is this a skin tag or actual hemorrhoid? Thanks for looking.
[+] picture undre spoiler
JonnyJ
Fibre Addict

Topics: 11

Re: Should I have surgery or wait?

Postby msimon » 09 Feb 2015, 04:32

Hi Jonny. It's tough to tell without zooming in more but it looks like a skin tag from a previously thrombosed hemorrhoid. The pink colour seems to indicate the clot has resolved. Skin tags can still be painful for quite some time after, in my experience. Personally, I would avoid such surgery down there. It an often lead to worse problems you did not forsee. Just my two cents...
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby JonnyJ » 15 Feb 2015, 14:28

Thanks for the input. The pain is basically gone the tags if thats what you call them are still tender to the touch but the terrible sharp pain I had a couple months ago when I'd go to bathroom is gone. Yet I'm still having occasional bleeding when I go to bathroom. This sucks I just don't know what to do. I already have anxiety and this freaks me out even more I automatically think there's something more going on even though it's probably just hemorrhoids. One CRS told me to have surgery but another one told me not to. The bleeding just started recently and it was only a couple times with a bowel movement. So I don't know what to do.
JonnyJ
Fibre Addict

Topics: 11

Postby jlm1 » 19 Mar 2015, 11:43

I know it's annoying and I have my own mess down there, LOL! Such a pain to keep clean and sometimes it acts up. At a glance yours does not look like something I would mess around with. I would just keep bm's soft, don't strain and deal with it as you need to. Surgery often creates more problems than it solves. Just my opinion!
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Sufferingbadly » 14 Apr 2015, 15:10

Hi! I'm curious to know if the hemmie healed or if you had surgery? I went to a GS and what I thought was a thrombosed hemmie showing out of my bum, he disagreed and said due to my explanation of pain, that it was a fissure. He gave me nifedipine and lidocaine. They burned soo badly so I stopped using them after 3 days. I started using coconut oil and hemmie cream (on the outside) and omg the coconut oil made so much more of a difference. Within 3 days I started to see that the hemmie was not all irritated and inflamed looking. Also my BM pain subsided a lot quicker than it had been. I am curious though if thrombosed hemmies cause so much pain that it makes your actual butt cheek sore? I'm 5'3, 122lbs. The pain is back after I had a horrible bowel movement. This hemmie sticks out and makes me walk like I literally have a stick in my butt. :( it burns and stings. I can't touch it at all. I only am comfortable Lying down on my back. I tried posting a pic to see if everyone could give me their opinion of what they thought but I can't upload the pic for some reason. Can thrombosed hemmies also cause a lot of throbbing?? I hope someone can please reply with some insight for me:) thank you! Also would it feel sharp and glass like while passing stool or do I maybe have a fissure also? Thanks!
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby msimon » 14 Apr 2015, 18:49

Sure sounds like a fissure to me. Your description sounds like my sentinel tag pain when my fissure would get injured. Thrombosed hemmies can hurt really bad but I would think that sharp pains indicate a fissure. They can also throb but so can a fissure. Does it look purple? Thrombosed hemmies are purple/blue in colour.

So sorry to hear things are going so badly for you. Can you get back in to see your Doctor? Maybe they can offer you botox if he still thinks it's a fissure. Or maybe just a nifedipine ointment (maybe the lidocaine burns you). Nifedipine is the most gentle of the fissure ointments (IMO) so I would be surprised if that is what is burning you.
msimon

Postby Sufferingbadly » 14 Apr 2015, 19:52

I went back to the doctors today and unfortunately I was so sore and sensitive on my anus,(especially when I stand up or sit down) the doc couldn't look inside to see anything like fissures or hemmies. He says I do not have a thrombosed hemmie. He says it's an irritated skin tag which may be due to a fissure. He says I probably also have external hemmies. He told me to continue to keep my diet well and balanced so that I don't have hard stools. (So far I'm able to go twice a day). He believes that I am in an acute stage whether it be a fissure, hemmies or both. He recommended I don't jump to any surgeries to get rid of the skin tags. He said that would be more painful than the pain I'm going through now and that it could possibly cause complications down the line. He referred me to a GD, and also recommends I get a colonoscopy since Colon cancer potentially runs in my family. Ugh this is so annoying! I just want to stuff my face with pizza, hot cheetoes, chicken, white rice!! (All the bad stuff) lol.
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby msimon » 14 Apr 2015, 22:50

Glad to hear that you saw your Doctor and that they were caring enough to not hurt you further by prying or scoping.

I would think a colonoscopy would be very painful in the acute stage and don't know if I would sign up for that, IMO.

Do you take a stool softener? They are a great way to ensure you have a soft stool. You have to make sure you drink lots of water with them though. People on here really like Miralax/Lax a Day (different names depending on where you are located). Some also really like magnesium supplements. I use both.

Frequent warm baths are great for both hemmies and fissures.

Hope you feel better very soon!
msimon

Postby Sufferingbadly » 15 Apr 2015, 06:47

I did ask the doctor about waiting to get a colonoscopy done so that it doesn't hurt me more and he said that was fine. What I found interesting though, all over these forums and even when I do my own research on other web pages, it says fissures are chronic or hemmies become a more severe problem, if you've had the issue basically for about 6 weeks or more. This doctor said I shouldn't have anything to worry about as far as becoming chronic with a fissure or hemmie problems until I've been suffering for about 4-5 months!! It just completely contradicted everything I read people saying on here and elsewhere which confuses me. I was taking stool softener but I stopped and now I'm just eating a couple prunes In the morning with breakfast, an ounce of prune juice in the afternoon along with another actual prune, and then 2 oz of prune juice at night. It softened my stools a lot yesterday and this morning so I'm hoping when I pass another stool, it keeps then consistency, :) I love my sitz baths! Esp in hot water! But I'm wondering if that's bad for my hemmies? Maybe causing them to become more inflamed? I wonder.
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby anyway » 20 Apr 2015, 10:11

I have had similar symptoms for 5 months and have been diagnosed with fissures and thrombosed hemmie so also didn't know whether to do hot or cold applications. I've lately been trying to pinpoint the hemmie with cold and then put warm compress up near the fissures for a little while after a BM. I have pain and can't sit all day. Also the area stung so bad and was extremely sensitive to touch, like it was blistered, for hours after a BM. I wondered whether I might have become sensitive to some creams. Unfortunately I was traveling at the time and I found out the hard way that traveling can mean constipation. Anyway my current ideas are:
Coconut Oil as suppositories (sometimes mixing with Turmeric) at night along with stool softeners, magnesium and a tablespoon or so of coconut oil orally.
Showering after a BM if possible and then putting cream on which I think helps provide a barrier.
During the day -coconut oil or alpha keri ointment (very thick but doesn't aggravate). I've even tried a steroid cream.
Massaging the area between privates and anus, (angled more towards anus), you can feel the tight muscle around the anus so when that is massaged it is the only thing that really provides instant relief. It seems to make sense in that it relaxes the muscle that is keeping the fissure from healing.
One other thing is that I would be wary of a colonoscopy as my symptoms started the day after I had one, ironically it was to check I was healthy.
Anyway, that's what I find is helping at present.
Hope it helps you also.
anyway
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2