Trying neurontin

A sub-forum for those with pain, but no explanation for it. Vent, share, ask, and help others. That is what this little corner is all about!

Return to Chronic Anal and Rectal Pain

Trying neurontin

Postby jlm1 » 18 Mar 2015, 09:59

Hello, all!

I am going to try taking neurontin soon. I know some of you have been taking it. Can anyone share their experience thus far? I'm wondering about side effects? I heard sleepiness is one. Also, how long till it works? I've been hesitant to take it as I don't have pain all the time but maybe I'm being stubborn and should take whatever might help.
Thanks for your thoughts :)
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Re: Trying neurontin

Postby pafen » 19 Mar 2015, 00:38

Jlm1,

I am just wondering why your doctor has suggested neurontin over its more potent successor lyrica?

I used neurontin once but the dosage was 3 times a day from memory. The medication didn't seem to last very long in my system. I think it was 300mg dosage tablets. I found lyrica works better, and I just take a dosage of 75mg in the morning. That's when my pain is at its highest after bowel movements.

My pain isn't constant either and sometimes I have days with little pain and others lots. Despite this I still take the medication every day.

Neurontin might work for you as everyone is different. My thoughts on medication are if the pain is interfering with your daily activities then its probably best to take it.

Side effects I noticed was drowsiness early on but after a few weeks it seems to wear off for these medications at lower dosages.
Hemroidectomy, anal abscess, fissure, LIS
Pelvic floor Dysfunction since late 2012
pafen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8