LIS surgery scheduled

Finally having LIS surgery this week after 2 years of dealing with fissures.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS surgery scheduled

Postby Luka » 27 Mar 2015, 12:28

Hope you are doing well, NDMK312, and that everything went smoothly with your surgery (if you've had it already). Keep us posted whenever you are ready and feeling well enough to write about it.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby NDMK312 » 27 Mar 2015, 13:39

Hi all,

I'll write more later, but I'm home and recovering. Surgery was at 8:30 and I was awake and discharged around 10:30. So far I haven't needed pain meds. No issues overall yet. I will take colace and they said resume normal diet. First BM might be rough but I'll keep you posted. More to come, but so far this is not bad at all. And Broncosgirl sitting I was told was fine and has not felt bad yet, of course my initial pain med from surgery may still be helping.

Best,
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby chachacha » 27 Mar 2015, 16:33

That sounds very promising! Congrats and good luck in the next few days. I hope that you post again soon, telling us that things are still going well.

:%_+:
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby NDMK312 » 28 Mar 2015, 08:29

Good morning all (well at least here on the east coast of the U.S),
I wanted to relax and get some rest yesterday, as you can imagine. Overall the pain level is pretty moderate. Still only taking Tylenol and have not dove into my percocets. I'm hoping I don't need to. I wanted to give a run down of how yesterday went. First, I can't stress enough how important it is to find the right surgeon and facility. For me, this provided confidence, knowing I was going into a facility that has, hands down, the best care in not only the U.S. but the world. The staff at the surgical center were friendly, informative, and more than accommodating. It is a teaching hospital so I knew they were up-to-date on the latest and greatest involving this surgery and expectations. You also know it's good when the folks in the surgical center are raving about your doctor and how meticulous they are. Enough about that though.
Surgery was a breeze. Here are the details:
Night before
- No prep needed, so no flushing of the system. Phew. I had to stop eating after midnight, which I don't go past 9 with food normally.
- I could drink water up to 2 hours prior to surgery.
Day of surgery
- Checked in at 7:53 a.m. in the surgical center at the hospital.
- Nurses walked be back to pre-op room where I was put in a hospital gown (which even when I had my daughter these gowns always swim on me), the nurse cracked up when referred to the gown and cap as my ball down and tiara.
- They took my vitals and hooked the IV up to me.
- The assistant anesthesiaoligist came in and prepped me on what they would be doing for anesthesia. I was to be put to sleep for as long as doctor needed me to be, and they would have to administer a breathing tube because I was going to be on my stomach. He said that this might give me a sore throat but would be gone in a day or so (I'm already good on this front). He informed me that I will be awake when the tube is removed after surgery, but 90% of folks don't remember that happening…I did not. :)
- Soon came my surgeon's assistant to prep me on what they would be doing. He said the surgery itself takes about 5-10 minutes, there will be no stitches and only one incision will be made. This is important to know as the videos on this site I believe are open versus closed where only one incision is required.
- I was wheeled into the OR about 15 minutes later. There were about three nurses, the surgeon's assistant, the anesthesiologist and his assistant. They administered the first bit of anesthesia which they said would make me feel a little drowsy and then the second bit which knocked me out. The last thing I remember was the anesthesiologist saying "Pick a fun dream, see you soon".
- I was woken, from what I considered since having my daughter, the best sleep ever. I wasn't in pain and they gave me some water, orange juice and graham crackers.
- The surgeon's assistant came by to run through the post-op care. He said I had a few small hemorrhoids nothing abnormal after having a baby. The one fissure in the front looked almost fully healed already, and the one in the back is already on its way and didn't look too bad. He said that the first BM may be uncomfortable and I might see a little more blood than I do with the fissures, but that this is normal. If do not have a BM in 3 days I can try to take Milk of Magnesia, but to call them and let them know. I do have gauze in the area and he said to change them as needed. Not to combine Tylenol with percocets, take one or the other. I could shower in 24 hours.
- I was able to get up and walk around 10 minutes after I woke up. I used the bathroom to urinate and put my clothes on and was released. The ride home was painless and most of the day yesterday was painless. I would say the pain level at most got to a 3 in the evening.
- I have a post-op follow-up appointment in two weeks. The surgeon said that incision should heal in 10 days, and that's what she will be checking at that point.
So far so good, but I will certainly follow-up again after that first BM. I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous about it. However, from what I've heard it's nothing compared to the searing about-to-pass-out pain experienced from the fissures.
A note, that before I had the surgery I had mentioned to my doctor that I would be traveling via train on April 21 and 22. She said I should be golden by then to resume my travel plans. Fingers crossed. Thanks to all for the support. As promised, I will be back and communicating how everything goes along the way. So far, feeling optimistic.
Pain level right now - 2
Best,
NDMK312
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Postby Broncosgirl » 28 Mar 2015, 09:05

I am so glad to hear it went so well. I appreciate your detailed account more than you know! I am also glad to hear sitting has not been too bad... That's what I've been most worried about, haha.

I hope your pain stays low and that you ads golden in no time. My surgery is in 3 days and your post has helped so much. Thank you.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Broncosgirl » 28 Mar 2015, 09:07

Oh, and I was wondering, did they just do LIS or did they so skin tag removal and/or a fissurectomy as well?
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby NDMK312 » 28 Mar 2015, 09:38

They only did LIS. Fissures and kkin tags should heal.shrink on their own with LIS, and my scar tissue wasn't that bad.
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 28 Mar 2015, 10:11

Congrats! So good to hear that things are still good today. Keep up the good work, lol!

:goodnews:
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Luka » 28 Mar 2015, 15:00

Awesome! : ) Glad to hear you're doing well. I really appreciate the detailed account of everything. I always get so nervous about being put under. I'm surprised you didn't have to get an enema before surgery, so that's good. One less thing you had to worry about. That's great that you have such a wonderful surgeon and a great place to get the surgery done with caring, considerate people. All of that makes everything so much more reassuring and easier. Not having a fissurectomy done also makes recovery easier and less painful, from what I've heard.

I hope and pray your recovery is quick and relatively painless. Keep us posted and take care! You're on your way to being fissure-free! Yay!
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby NDMK312 » 29 Mar 2015, 10:34

Day 2 and had my first BM post surgery. I didn't want to push so I ended up going twice. The pain wasn't bad, uncomfortable but nowhere near the "please shoot me now" pain I've expeeienced. There was blood as the doctor said there would be. I soaked afterward and took a shower, which made things more comfortable. Still just taking Tylenol, although I probably am at a level that taking Percocet would make things more comfortable. I just don't want to become constipated, which I feel like I am somewhat since what came out today wasn't much. I'm sure I'll get back in routine soon, but taking it easy and catching up on my recreational reading.

Thanks for all the support and I'll continue posting updates.
NDMK312
Salt Bather