LIS contemplation

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

LIS contemplation

Postby Jess23 » 31 Mar 2015, 17:56

Hello, I'm new here, not new to fissures though...
I've had issues since about 17 off and on and was finally diagnosed at 21 after my 1st daughter. Had issues off and on until I got pregnant again 18 months after my first birth and fissures healed and I became regular. After baby #2 about a month later I tore very badly and have been trying to heal that fissure the past 3 months. After trying various ointments and dietary changes things looked like they were healing, but then it flared up again. Now my doctor wants to do surgery (LIS) but I'm extremely nervous to undergo surgery so young.

My main concern is that I would like to have more children, home birth if possible. is there anyone in this group that has had an LIS and went on to give birth vaginally without causing incontinence?
Jess23

Topics: 2

Re: LIS contemplation

Postby NDMK312 » 31 Mar 2015, 19:35

Hi Jess,

I too would like to have more children and I just had LIS done. My surgeon and my obgyn assured me that having another child would not be an issue. For me, it came down to quality of life, and I knew that there was no way I was even going to get pregnant again with the stress of these things. I'm 4 days post-op and while I'm in some pain, I have no fissure pain. I hope to be on the road to full recovery soon. My biggest encouragement would be to ask questions and get various opinions. I must have asked several doctors including my general practitioner about having another child. All said that there shouldn't be an issue. The surgeon even said there wouldn't need to be a time limitation on when we started trying after surgery. She said to wait to heal, but that ultimately having this done would lesson pressure on the area while pregnant. Hope this is helpful, but definitely consult with all your doctors before moving forward.
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Re: LIS contemplation

Postby Jess23 » 01 Apr 2015, 10:56

Thanks for your response, I'll definitely be talking with my doctors soon to go over options! Just have to wait for my OB to get back from bolivia
Jess23

Topics: 2