Seriously considering getting LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Seriously considering getting LIS

Postby alwayssmile » 01 Apr 2015, 12:07

Hi everyone,

I have been reading on here for quite some time, but this is my first post. I'm a 21 year old female. I have had my fissure about 8 months, since September. It has absolutely devastated my life. The enjoyment of my senior year has been completely destroyed by this. I try not to get caught up in it but it's hard to believe that my life will ever be normal again.

It took me quite a while to even see a doctor, due to embarrassment. I always was in that period of time where I aged out of my pediatrician but didn't have a new physician. In January I saw a Gastroenterologist and she did an external exam and told me that I had a fissure. She gave me diltiazam/licocaine ointment. I've been using this with coconut oil. I also do Mirolax, fiber supplements, and stool softeners. Sitz baths after BM to help relieve pain. There have been periods, sometimes a week or two, where I feel 100% okay. But all it takes is one time and I am so devastated that I just wish I didn't exist anymore. This week is one of those weeks. I finally called a CRS I was referred to and scheduled a new patient appointment in two weeks. It took me so long because I don't want to feel like surgery is my last remaining option.

I guess my worry is that I feel pretty uninformed about major surgery in general. Never had surgery before, unless you count wisdom teeth. My mother is unable to go with me to my appointment and I'm unsure of the questions to ask. I'm so terrified. I'm at the point where I just want to give up and have the surgery as soon as possible. Any input is appreciated, I'm just so lost at this point.
alwayssmile
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Seriously considering getting LIS

Postby Broncosgirl » 02 Apr 2015, 10:45

Hi,
For me this problem is as draining mentally as physically.

I am glad you are going to see a CRS. I actually just has my surgery, only had wisdom teeth removed before this too, and the surgery itself was a breeze. I would actually say I was in more pain post wisdom teeth removal than this.

Some questions I asked my CRS were about my risk for possible incontenance, how it might impact later pregnancy, how recovery will look, how long to give creams a try before surgery, have they ever had a patient have complications after surgery...

I hope the meeting goes well and you can develop a good plan to get your life back to normal
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby alwayssmile » 02 Apr 2015, 18:37

Thank you, Broncosgirl for the reply!

Thank you for filling me on what questions to ask! I, too, am a little bit worried about future pregnancies as well. My gastroenterologist told me she wouldn't recommend this surgery for females of child-bearing age. Not quite sure why, but I definitely will ask the CRS. My guess would be something to do with incontinence?

I'll update after my appointment, but it is 95% likely I will get the surgery. I have done everything on this planet (except Botox) to try to get this thing to heal. Sadly, I'll have to wait until mid-June because I can't take off time during my last semester and I planned a post-grad trip… Hopefully I can manage it until then.

How is life after surgery?
alwayssmile
Fibre Addict

Postby jlm1 » 02 Apr 2015, 19:27

Hi there,
Sorry you are suffering! I totally relate to wanting to not exist....and I am not nor have I ever been suicidal. But the pain of a fissure can seem unbearable.
Since you can't get the surgery, if you choose to do that, for a few months anyway why not try botox? If you do not have any other complications, it might be a good option for you. I had botox in July for a deep and significant fissure. I unfortunately had some other complications after that (not related to the botox) so my healing was delayed. But the botox worked for me. I haven't posted in the success stories yet as I have wanted to give it a little more time. I'm still in fear of something else happening......I think that I have PTS from this whole ordeal. But I can tell you that the CRS has looked (many times by my request) and my fissure is healed. There is not even any scar tissue. I'm finally starting to feel like myself again! In case you are curious botox was very simple and my CRS did it in her office. Literally 2 shots in the bum and that was it! It was very fast.
Anyway, just wanted to reach out because I know how debilitating this can be. Know that it WILL end. Whatever you decide, good luck to you and keep us posted :)
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby alwayssmile » 03 Apr 2015, 13:11

Hi jlm1,

Thank you for your post!
I think the reason I wasn't going to bother with botox was because, from what I read on here, it didn't seem like anyone had good results. But to hear that it has helped you definitely makes me feel a bit better! Because, your right, since I most likely won't be able to get the surgery until mid-June, theres no harm in doing it before I graduate/go abroad.

Thank you for your kind words. I definitely needed to hear that. After a really rough week with pain that lasted right up until 8 p.m., I finally had a BM with no pain. It's amazing how much you appreciate the good days.

And wow, it was only one session? I really, really hope my CRS has that as an option. I'm really interested because I would love to have one more option before surgery. It seems like theres only conservative measures and non-conservative measures. Botox seems to be in-between, so now that I know it worked for someone I definitely think it's worth my time.
alwayssmile
Fibre Addict

Postby jlm1 » 03 Apr 2015, 13:28

I don't know where you live but I am in Brooklyn, NY. My CRS said this was a very common thing and she has used botox a lot and it has worked. I know it doesn't work for everyone but it's worth a shot, I think. I believe results are best with people that do not have other issues in the area. Hey, even if it doesn't heal the fissure and you wind up with surgery, you can say that you tried everything else first. And although I think many people have success with the surgery I think it's best to not cut down there unless you have to!
Yes, it was one session. Right in her office. It literally took a few minutes. I tried to meditate and relax, took a valium before. It did burn a little but it really was very quick and I'm a baby, LOL. Just be sure to follow up and take care of this. I had issues when I was your age and I ignored them. Now some years later it got worse. (I am 38)
In any case, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there and keep us posted :)
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby alwayssmile » 13 Apr 2015, 12:35

Hi everyone,

Just got back from my appointment with the CRS. I was so nervous this morning I thought I was going to get sick. I had to force myself to have some oatmeal. Since my last posts, I've had pain free BMs every morning. My last re-tear was about March 30th, with pain for about 5 days after. I got that under control and am back to having one BM in the morning, very very soft (use stool softeners and mirolax, as well as a ton of water)

I'm pretty disappointed because I really didn't like the CRS. He spent very little time with me, the rest of the time I was with a PA. He made the surgery seem like no big deal and that the recovery is only a day. He says I could go to the gym the next day if I wanted?? I know surgeons are supposed to make it seem effortless, but I felt it was too minimized and my concerns weren't really heard.

He also did an external exam, and just as I thought… I have an anterior fissure. He said it doesn't look "horrendous". I have felt pretty good the past two weeks so it's definitely not aggravated. He also gave me .4% nitro so I will try that as well.

Overall, I'm pretty bummed. I was hoping Botox would be the next step, but my CRS advised that I could do the surgery BEFORE my 16 day trip abroad. I feel like thats really unwise but I fear if I have another retear and I'm at the end of my rope, I would just do it. I've had a lot of cycling since September and it's the most emotionally draining experience.

Any thoughts?
alwayssmile
Fibre Addict

Postby jlm1 » 13 Apr 2015, 20:01

I'm so sorry to hear this. My initial thought it to see another CRS. That is just ridiculous that you were so rushed and I would be very hesitant to let someone do surgery in such a sensitive area if I didn't like him/her. Maybe see a woman?
I have not had the surgery but I can tell you that the everyone's recovers is different and I think that is a severe miscalculation for the CRS to tell you that you would be at the gym the next day. I had a simple (very simple) fistula surgery and my CRS (whom I really like, she listens to everything, is patient, answers all my questions, never rushes me) said I would be ok in about a week or 2. It took much longer than that. I really think, if possible, you should find another doctor.
So sorry you are suffering with this. Hang in there!
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby alwayssmile » 13 Apr 2015, 20:28

Jlm, thank you so much your kindness. It truly means the world to me. I thought that a doctor specializing in this area would help me feel less isolated, but I definitely left feeling lonely. I asked the CRS if there was any harm in delaying the surgery for another 2 months (when I get back from my trip) and he said no, and that 7/8 months really isn't that long to be feeling pain and 2 more months wouldn't really matter. That made me feel really badly… if you experience this pain first hand then you know that it directly decreases your quality of life.

I am definitely going to search out a new CRS. My thoughts exactly on if I don't like a CRS then I wouldn't want them doing my surgery. I can't imagine if I did have complications (like an infection or icontinence) that I would feel comfortable talking to him about it… seems like he would just brush me off. I live in a decently large city in the U.S. so I'm hoping that theres another CRS located close by. I'm glad I discovered this forum because the way the CRS described it, I definitely would've just done it without a second thought.
alwayssmile
Fibre Addict

Postby jlm1 » 15 Apr 2015, 19:29

Before I went to the CRS, I saw a gastro doctor. He was very nonchalant about the pain I was in and how debilitating it was. I remember that I even asked him if he ever had a fissure or problems in that area. He hadn't. I finally saw a CRS and thank goodness I did. The point is that unless you experience this, you just don't get it. I wanted to smack that doctor.
Good that you are in a big city. You should not have a problem finding a good CRS, maybe someone on this forum knows someone in your area. I think there is a part of this site that lists doctors, etc. Also, my insurance covered the botox injection so if you decided to try that maybe you are also covered? You can always try botox first, go on your trip and then if things aren't better, have the surgery.
Do not give up hope though. This too shall pass and you will heal. Keep soaking, take stool softener, lots of water and veggies, try not to stress!! Hang in there and keep us posted!
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist