LIS surgery scheduled

Finally having LIS surgery this week after 2 years of dealing with fissures.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS surgery scheduled

Postby Broncosgirl » 13 Apr 2015, 22:06

I am glad it went well and I hope the last remaining bit of discomfort clears up soon with the antibiotics!
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby NDMK312 » 19 Apr 2015, 18:37

It will be almost 4 weeks since my LIS surgery at the end of this week. I"m still feeling pretty good. I get some minor discomfort here and there after going at the incision site still, but even that seems to be getting less and less. I've been on antibiotics since last Tuesday and soaking once in the morning after BM before work and once at night before bed.

I will say for the most part I don't think about what is going on down there as much anymore. BMs are so much more pleasant these days and I haven't felt afraid to go. While I've maintained by high fiber and fluid diet, I have loosened up a bit and added a few things back in that a swore off for two years once the fissures occurred. So far no issues…still keeping fingers crossed.

I did my first hard workout last Tuesday and felt great. I'm going to start to ease back into running hopefully after this week. I really do hope this was the answer to all my prayers. I'll continue to post updates as things progress, but so far I"m not regretting this decision at all.
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Broncosgirl » 19 Apr 2015, 21:44

Awesome news! I hope that soon there will be no more even slightly unpleasant sensations down there. It sounds like you're almost at the place already. I'm so happy for you! Enjoy your first post-op run :)
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby NDMK312 » 30 May 2015, 07:04

This week marked 2 months post surgery. All I can say is why oh why did I not do this sooner! I have been feeling great and like my life is getting back to normal. I am still very mindful of my fiber and water intake to keep things moving, but I have started eating things that I previously cut out of my diet. Knock on wood, I have been doing well. Thank goodness, because I can't imagine summer without ice cream!

If you are considering surgery, as I've said before, do your research and find the right doctor for you. Ask a lot of questions…there is no such things as dumb questions. Definitely get a few opinions from varying CRS if you can. I also recommend finding one that is responsive after the surgery, because your questions won't end after surgery. Remember, no one can make this decision for you. It is something you have to become confident and comfortable with on your own.

I'll continue to report out every few months, but so far I am a happy lady! Good luck everyone and I hope my story helps and provides some hope for long time sufferers like I was.
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 03 Jun 2015, 03:04

That's great news!!!

:Rock: :%_+: :rainbow: :energetic:
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby NDMK312 » 28 Jun 2015, 15:03

Hi everyone,

This week was three months post-op. Still doing well. No issues…knock on wood. I'm still very happy with the results and can't believe that I have been really in two full months of absolutely no pain. It is wonderful!

I hope you are all find your success, but for me this was the answer. Wish I would have known sooner!
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Postby shams1000 » 30 Jun 2015, 23:33

NDMK312, Congratulations to you ! I am so appreciative of all the details that you posted.

I had my fissure in Nov. 2014 after a hard BM and I felt like I was healing and pain free, only to bleed, get the burning sensation, pain, etc. back. I am throwing in the towel (I think) and have scheduled surgery in a few weeks. I have read though that LIS is delicate and the amount of cut in the sphincter can make a difference to the success of the surgery. I have also read that if you have a sentinel pile (I have a large one) the chance of healing is diminished and that it should be removed during surgery. Also, I am concerned about incontinence, leakage, etc.
Finally, I am supposed to go to Europe 3 weeks postop. Do you think I'll be able to travel ?

Sorry for all the questions !

--------------------
Fissure Nov. 2014
Tried Dilt - not helpful at all
Nitro - very helpful but only helps with symptoms. No cure for me!
Right now: high fiber diet, stool softener, Nitro but still experience burning, some pain, and bleeding with BM.
shams1000
Fibre Addict

Postby NDMK312 » 10 Jul 2015, 14:52

Hi shams1000,

Apologies for the delayed response. I didn't have a pile so I'm not certain how that works. I have heard the recovery for removal of a pile takes longer than LIS. I would ask your doc. If you just have LIS you should be okay to travel 3 weeks post op. I didn't travel that far but was doing well enough for a trip 4 weeks post op. Everyone heals differently. I would think of you just have LIS and are able to keep from straining that the pile might shrink on its own. Definitely reach out to you doctor performing the surgery beforehand.

Hope this helps and keep us posted! It really made a difference for my life and hope it does for you too! Best of luck!
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Re: LIS surgery scheduled, all but completely healed

Postby shams1000 » 04 Jun 2016, 14:57

Update to all

I suffered from AF for more than a year and I used to come to this forum often. But, I have been 99% healed since last Fall. Here's what I did to heal:

1. Eat fruits and vegetables, and water
2. More importantly, apply Nitrodbid 2% cream - not externally, but using an applicator for about 1-2 inches inside the rectum after BM
3. Do not wipe, but wash after each BM. Use a large water bottle and wash with your free hand :)

Results: completely healed, but some leakage remains. I had surgery scheduled but did not go through with surgery. No need !

Good luck to all out there
shams1000
Fibre Addict