6 months...what to do??

Feedback greatly appreciated...Scientist :)

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: 6 months...what to do??

Postby Bailey » 17 Apr 2015, 16:29

Well, the Jets didn't fare so well last night but we will hopefully get them tomorrow:).

I will say that my fissure was diagnosed in October (when I could no longer sit without pain). I know that I had it for at least a month before and I actually wonder if I have had it longer than that... I remember one large BM in late June when I was at the lake and not eating well - I wonder if that was the start of the problem. But, I can't say for sure.

If you would have asked me a few months ago if constipation was a problem I would have said no. I have a BM every day and I've always thought of constipation as having a BM every 2-3 days. But, I will say that I didn't drink enough water and didn't consistently get enough fiber which caused my BM's to sometimes be firmer and harder to pass. I have learned a lot about good bowel health in the last few months. My definition of constipated now means a stool that is not softly formed and requires any amount of straining.

My problem when I changed my diet and started to drink copious amounts of water was that my stools were soft, but the tip was often more firm (some call it a plug). Not everyday, but I started to get really anxious and frustrated because I could have several good days and then I'd have a harder stool, and the pain would return. The Restoralax solved this problem for me - consistently soft stools that allowed for healing. It was a blessing.

My understanding of Restoralax is that it is an osmotic laxative that draws water into the colon (in much the same way a stool softener does). In that way, it is not supposed to be habit forming and can be used for longer periods of time. I've taken it for about a month now and I'm just starting to think of weaning off. It definitely gave me a much needed healing boost because like you, I felt like I was healing and then would relapse again. My doc suggested that I try to wean off because she said all laxitives run the risk of dependence... But the doc that I work with tells families it is such a mild laxitives that they should not worry. You can take a half does or a full dose. I plan to travel in Europe for a month this summer and my doc has already agreed that I should take it with me:).

I wish you all the best. Keep us posted.
Diagnosed anal fissure October 2014
Tried nifedipine - fissure seemed to be healing but reoccurred January 2015
Switched to Nitro and started Resoralax - Beginning of March 2015
Bailey
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Canadabum » 19 Apr 2015, 21:42

Bailey -- sorry about the Jets...hopefully they will pull together tomorrow night...what about those Habs huh! P.K. doing his thing...pretty impressive.

I am interested in when you take the Restoralax...is it with breakfast or are there other more strategic times in the day that work for you?

Not to get too graphic...but hey, that is partly what this forum is for...I have been finding that I am actually having relatively soft movements but am not fully evacuating on the first go...then i am ending up with total water coming out within 15/20 minutes...I have no idea why that is now happening. What a long strange trip it has been!

My other issue (if i can call it that) is a feeling of a scab or something like inside...i am pretty sure it is the fissure but not certain. At certain points it actually gives me a bit of a sharp pain that only lasts a few seconds then gone...but a real reminder that all is not well in camelot. Did you (or anyone reading this) feel these sort of sensations while you were healing...or perhaps did you feel this thinking you were healing only to find that this was the signal telling you that you were not healing....??

This whole journey is so bizarre because without being able to actually see what is happening we are all blind to our status...i guess this is why there is so much uncertainty and we all have so many questions.

Thanks again everyone for being so helpful.

By the way -- weekend was generally quite good. No pain during movements, no pain during the day...just an annoying feeling of a scab and some discomfort after sitting on a hard surface for too long...hopefully these are good signs.

Go Jets!

Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby msimon » 19 Apr 2015, 21:47

Hi Canadabum.

Just wanted to chime in on the scab question. WIth my LIS surgical site I have felt that sort of thing. And it almost feels like a tightness to as when I would go to move and my buttcheek would pull a bit I would say it felt like a tight scab to me. Actually, it's probably scar tissue, as that is not as elastic, especially in the early days. This was before my latest retear and that feeling is now gone:( So I bet it was scar tissue/scab that got ripped off.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Canadabum » 19 Apr 2015, 22:01

msimon...thank you for your perspective....and even more so, thank you for taking the time to read and respond in the midst of your own issues. i read your post on your thread regarding LIS and i want you to know that i am really rooting for you and wishing you the best going forward. You have armed yourself with incredible information and knowing is truly half the battle....i wish i had the answers for you and for me..only thing i know is that in time we will both be ok...hang in there and thanks a TON for your reply.

Canadabum
Canadabum

Postby msimon » 20 Apr 2015, 01:48

Thank you so much. Your kind words mean the world to me right now :thanx:
msimon

Postby Canadabum » 20 Apr 2015, 20:17

hey y'all...just wanted to let you know it has been another pretty decent day...even the scab feeling was not so prominent...i hate to sound so positive because in the past when i did i usually set myself up for a fall. That said, from reading so much of what you have all said, it is a couple steps forward with a step back, couple steps back with a step forward...the trajectory seems to be going my way right now so I will take it.

for anyone relatively new reading this -- please know that I spent a good 4-5 months in real despair wondering if I would ever have a few hours in a row without this pain in my arse ruling my life, getting me down, controlling my feelings and generally just feeling horrible amounts of pain....i really had a tough time believing that i would make it to now where i have now had about a full week of relatively minor discomfort.....i say this so that you too understand that your day will also come...

Best to all,
Canadabum
Canadabum

Postby msimon » 21 Apr 2015, 02:31

Great news Canadabum! I know what you mean about being afraid to acknowledge the good times. I have become rather superstitious through all this.

I am cheering you on that each week just keeps getting better. :cheerleader:
msimon

Postby Canadabum » 23 Apr 2015, 15:41

...fyi, counting my blessings...still having good days...the fog is really lifting -- but i dont want to get too ahead of myself. thanks for all the support and encouragement

best to all,
canadabum
Canadabum

Postby Fissurefrustration » 23 Apr 2015, 17:13

So glad to hear of your positive progress! Fingers crossed for you x
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby Scientist2516 » 23 Apr 2015, 19:53

Aaahh, that is good to hear. I love that you say "the fog is lifting.". How well I remember that feeling. That, and the "got my life back" feeling.
Keep it up, Canada! You can beat this fissure!
:Rock:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here