New member LIS surgery and fissurectomy yesterday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: New member LIS surgery and fissurectomy yesterday

Postby Guest » 14 Feb 2008, 11:44

My CRS said that some people hold their stress in their bottoms and I am one of them too. Even as a kid I remember when I was upset I could feel my butt clenching.

The digestive system is one of the most sophisticated systems in the body. There are a lot of serotonin receptors in the gut too.

I grew up with Southern parents and there was a real climate of properness and that certain things are not discussed. My mom still doesn't really want to know what is going on with me. You can tell she is just so embarrased and uncomfortable. I was very proper and modest too until this happened. I remember I asked my husband to leave the room when they were performing a cervical check to see if I was in labor. He wouldn't budge though and after labor started I wouldn't have cared who saw my bottom. But dealing with pooping and anal problems was a different story. I was brought up to believe (tongue in cheek) that men don't know that women go to the bathroom and you keep that very private. But now after dealing with this we spend way too much time talking about it. He asks me so many questions about how it went in the bathroom.

Here is an example of love: After I had my hemorrohid surgery I had problems having a BM. He told me to just go in the tub and he would clean it up. I didn't take him up on it because I didn't want to sit in my sh*t but it was a very thoughtful and selfless gesture.

Postby Guest » 15 Feb 2008, 10:53

lol....juney you sound exactly like my boyfriend and I. He asks me if go poop every day too...lol:) We've only been dating a year in February, but I feel like I can talk to him about anything after this. This has actually brought us closer in a weird way:) He's been very supportive for him and I was scared for the longest time after my first surgery that we would end up breaking up over it. Just because it was very stressful for me and I was not the easiest person to be around. Also, I hate that sometimes he misses out on stuff he wants us to do together and I'm hurting too bad to be able to go. I also want to be a normal 22 year old. I feel like this is taking up so much of my time. I was not able to get a head start on a career and finally moving out, because all of this had happened. When I do start teaching I will have so many doctors bills to pay. It's so annoying to watch people I graduated with starting careers and going out on there own, while I'm stuck on the couch most of the year after I graduated. I was also raised in the South Lecia. My mom is uncomfortable when I talk about what is going on. She's supportive and helps me out so much, but she doesn't want to hear about it. It's funny though. My grandparents aren't uncomfortable with talking about stuff like that all and they are from an older generation. On a different subject, I feel myself slowly getting better. I still hurt, and can't do much at all but the pain is decreasing very slowly. This happened last time though and I never actually healed. I'm so scared of not healing. There is a lot of stress and tension in my family right now, so that isn't helping. I'm overly emotional because of the medicine and pain and my parents are really stressed out too. \ This is really long, but I had thoughts about everything ya'll had talked about. Thanks for letting me vent:)

Postby Guest » 15 Feb 2008, 16:16

amber, I tried sending you a private message but i'm not sure it worked so sorry if you get three copies of the same message. But let me know if you don't get any at all and I will try to re-send it or just post it here, cheers!

Postby juney » 18 Feb 2008, 12:00

well that's encouraging that you're slowly feeling better! how are you doing now that a few days have passed?

we're both very lucky to have supportive boyfriends! especially at this age you wouldn't expect most guys to want to deal with things like this. i think we've both found keepers Image
and seriously, what doesn't kill us can only make us stronger in the end. things have to get better that's all you can keep telling yourself. i hope you're doing even better today!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 19 Feb 2008, 22:16

Yeh, I guess he's a keeper..lol. He's actually a year and a half younger than me and I guess when you put it in the that perspective, he's been very supportive for his age Luxdunst...I've sent you a pm back. Let me know if you've gotten it. I'm not having nearly as much pain as I had been having. I'm not taking anything for pain. It mainly hurts when I use the bathroom, and I don't think the original fissure has healed. I have a virus, the flu, or something. I've had diarreah for the last three days and I have a little bit of a fever. So, I feel like I'm falling behind in the healing process. He told me the original fissure would probably heal in a week, but I think I've set my self back with whatever bug I've gotten. I'm taking another two days off of work and may just take another week depending on how I feel. For right now, I'm just happy the constant pain has stopped. I'm just scared I still won't heal after I've been through all of this. I'm scared of being in pain again and I'm worried about missing work and scared to go back. Basically, I'm still a nervous wreck only in less pain. Also, my boyfriend's mama bought us tickets to a concert for Christmas for this Sunday. I don't think I'm going to be able to make it and I feel terrible. Typing all of this out really helps a lot. It's nice to feel like you have someone to "talk" too when your stuck in the house all day.

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2008, 19:37

Hi Amber
Although you've got the flu or something, it's great to hear you're in less pain. That must be a huge relief, given the pain you had been experiencing. Don't be too concerned about the fissure not healing in the amount of time that your doctor told you. My surgeon said that I'll be in a lot of pain for 3-5 days. I was in severe pain for nearly 2 weeks. Sounds like you have a supportive boyfriend, which is great. I think you should take as much time off work as you need. Make sure you have plenty of hot salty baths - it really helps the recovery time.
Hang in there & be strong. We're all thinking of you.

Postby dano » 20 Feb 2008, 21:37

hello Amber Nicole!..i read some of the posts,i didnt read them all though..ive been in and out for awhile.i had a fistulotomy to remove an abcess after my fissure healed by being on nitro cream for months. in regards to the milk o magniesum..i used the MOM once or twice now that i think of it,NOTHING good came of it cept the poops,in which irritated the fissure even more,i canned that crap,doc started me on metamucil CAPLETS,dont know why he was so hung up on the caplets,now my schedule is pretty predicable and the poo is "soft and fluffy" like a cloud so to say Image ...ive been on them almost a year,and dont regret it a bit,even helps with gas...which is a plus for me!
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Guest » 24 Feb 2008, 16:25

Hi everybody. I just wanted to let everybody know how I'm doing. I'm over the little bug I had. I'm still sore, but not nearly as bad. I'm going to try and go back to work tomorrow. They're really supportive at work so I'm not to worried about that. I just won't get paid. Thankyou all for your support through this. Ya'll helped me through some bad days. I'm hoping the bad days will be fewer and fewer!

Postby Guest » 24 Feb 2008, 16:31

That's great news. Glad you are feeling better and are on the mend. You might have some bumps in the road here and there but just keep doing what you are doing to keep your stools soft and it should be downhill from here!

Postby Guest » 24 Feb 2008, 16:58

all the best darling! keep us updated and take a 1/2 day tomorrow if you need it.