Scheduled LIS

finally decided to do the surgery...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Scheduled LIS

Postby Lone_Walker » 11 Jun 2015, 10:12

Hello everyone,

After 4 long years dealing with LIS, on and off, tons of fiber, water, excercise and precautions I decided to have the surgery. I'm an avid Cyclist so when my fissure starts I have to be off the saddle until everything gets "a little better"...

I have tried several things to make my stool soft, like everyone else in this forum, but eventually I relapse at least 4-5 times per year. The best cream so far has been Nitro, as I'm currently in Nifed and it doesn't work as well, the only good thing is I dont get headaches which I rather have and deal with. I take Benefiber 3 times a day with each meal, tons of water, fruits and veggies everytime they are available so my diet is not so bad. I truly believe my bottom is too tight, and I might have something else going on that dries my stool (I'm a coffee drinker but I compensate with water trust me), so we will see if a cut in my sphincter will make things a bit lose down there so I can pass BM's better.

I'm scared to death! Previous surgeries not related to my current condition have been infected, I just hope this time it doesn't happen.

I'm planning on having a strict diet, take stool softeners, sitz baths and hopefully I can get my hands on some Nitro to help the healing process.

I will keep updating this topic after my June 16th surgery : )
Lone_Walker
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Scheduled LIS

Postby msimon » 11 Jun 2015, 10:51

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you have suffered for so long. Did you ever try stool softeners in your healing program?

Did you mention your history with infection to your surgeon? Is your surgeon an experience colorectal surgeon that has done many sphincterotomies? I wish you the best with your surgery. Keep us posted on your progress.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Lone_Walker » 11 Jun 2015, 11:38

I did tried softeners, but they cannot be used for long period of times so after my bleeding stopped after every episode I quit taking them (about a week or two)...I'm on it right now, along with no coffee (or maybe just a cup per day), Benfiber, tons of water and Nifed (which I'm not even sure if it working).

My doctor is a very well known CRS and have done this procedure quite a few times. I failed to mention my previous infections at the incision point, so I will have to bring that up before the surgery at some point.

Thanks for the good wishes!
Lone_Walker
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 11 Jun 2015, 12:29

As for the stool softeners, Miralax/Movicol/Restorlax (different name depending on where you live) is supposed to be safe for long term use. Many on here use it for long periods of time (as that is what it can take to fully heal). I have used it for years with no issues. You will definitely want to use something post-surgery until you are healed from that.

Glad to hear your CRS sounds like a good one. Hope he can fix your fissure for you.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Slightlyimperfect » 14 Jun 2015, 15:45

Good luck mate I am a triathlete and got fissurectomy and botox that wasn't to successful and made matters a bit worse so edging towards LIS myself not managed to get out on bike much and run loads because of when I start pushing it I tear and then have to start the whole healing cycle again, like u i love cycling and being side lined is so frustrating, I will be following your story closely and hope you are back on your bike with all your probs gone in no time
Slightlyimperfect
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Slightlyimperfect » 14 Jun 2015, 15:46

Oh and good luck, you will be able to watch the tour while your healing :)
Slightlyimperfect
Fibre Addict

Postby Lone_Walker » 15 Jun 2015, 08:53

Thank you Slightlyimperfect! Good idea on watching the Tour while healing, it will take my mind off of the obvious...

One thing that I just discovered this weekend and has helped me with my BM's...Believe it or not is squatting when I go instead of sitting down. Most of the time I believe the pain after a BM is due to the spasm of the anal sphincter correct? Well, there are special tecniques on how to make the bathroom trips a little more easy when dealing with a fissure.

Check the video - http://www.listentoyourgut.com/symptoms ... drome.html

It also has some natural remedies to deal with fissures, but I'm still doing my LIS tomorrow...crossed fingers and healing prayers.
Lone_Walker
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 15 Jun 2015, 13:05

LIS is a relatively simple surgery, it's just a small cut into the muscle. Some drs. put a stitch in it other don't. You should eat a normal diet after because you want to have normal bms. It's very important to keep the muscle stretchable. Also miralax is a safe stool softener that can be used daily for the rest of your life. As far as a fissurectomy goes the reason they fail is because LIS wasn't performed along side of it. If your muscle is already too tight and you don't relieve the tension the fissurectomy isn't going to help this situation. A lot of CRS don't do fissurectomies any longer they opt for flap surgery. I hope you have a great outcome and find yourself on the path to recovery very soon.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Slightlyimperfect » 15 Jun 2015, 13:06

Fingers toes arms and legs crossed for you, I will be waiting for an update :)
Slightlyimperfect
Fibre Addict

Postby Lone_Walker » 17 Jun 2015, 08:16

I thought I posted here about the surgery but apparently I didn't...sorry!

Surgery went well according to the surgeon...it lasted about 10 minutes but I wasa out on anesthesia for a full hour. Woke up very loopy of course but no pain (they gave some heavy stuff I bet)...after talking to the doctor he said my fissure was not big but rather very deep. I was sent home with Colace and Vicodin for the pain which I have only taken once to avoid constipation. I have not been eating much, not very hungry but if I do eat I try light things. Last night I didn't sleep well, it's more how uncomfortable it feels rather than pain, can't imagine after that first bowel movement which I'm scared to death to have.

I haven't experienced incontinence so far, nor leakage...I've blown a few toots here and there but I feel in control so far. I did a sitz bath this morning followed by colace and some breakfast. Can't say that I'm pain free just yet but it is just the second post op day.

I will post more if anything unusual happens.
Lone_Walker
Fibre Addict