As it goes...

Hopeful's diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: As it goes...

Postby felix » 10 Jun 2015, 15:25

Hi,
To answer your question, I use Nelsons homeopathic calendula and hypericum cream..Not sure if you can get that in NZ but here it is about £6 for a tube.
In all honesty, I am not sure if things work or it just gets better/worse on its own! I used Lanolin as well for a while when it was bad and used to combine the lanolin with some medihoney, which seemed to work well for me. I have also used Dr Wheatgrass cream, which did also coincide with things getting better so maybe that is something to think about but a lot of people on here do not seem to have had much success with it.
I am not sure about the bleeding, mine used to bleed badly at the beginning but has not bled since March, although it did have a few spots the day before I saw the CRS and then he said it was 80%healed so maybe bleeding is not as important as we think?!

Hope you are having a better day today and that your appointment brings you some information. It is bloody hard to stay calm but it does so help!
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby hopefull » 10 Jun 2015, 20:14

I've been trying to work out how to just have one BM each day. As a lot of you know it's very tricky to have soft BM's and only one, basically I feel like I would have to eat nothing. I'm now skin and bone since breastfeeding and having an AF and having trouble keeping up with the weight as it is, adding coconut oil to my food is good, it has a higher energy density than butter. When I wake I need to go straight away and if it is too early in the day then I usually have another small BM after breakfast at sometime. This is hampering my healing a lot as it gets so inflamed. I've started to take ibuprofen to try and cope with the inflammation.
I'm not sure if it is when I am taking my pills/softeners that is affecting the BM's or when I am consuming protein during the day. I stopped eating honey as someone suggested that was causing additional BM's. Last couple of days I've had a bit of chicken with a lot of boiled veges for dinner instead of pureed vege soup and maybe it's a bit better.
Hmmmm how to just have one soft one and maintain weight?
AF since Jan '15 postpartum
Taking: Lax-sachets, flaxseed oil, Mg
Topical: Diltiazem, Sudocrem
Circulation: Warm wheat bag, relax, short walks
Tried: Rectogesic, slippery elm, Lactulose
hopefull
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby msimon » 11 Jun 2015, 10:42

Hopeful, have you ever had just one BM/day? We are all different and only have so much control over our BMs. It may be that that is how your body processes things and there is not much you can do about it. I am a 2-3BMer/day and have given up trying to control more than the consistency. I'm the same way, go right when waking up and then again after eating something. I have still managed to do some healing with this but that may be one of the reasons it is taking longer, but I only have so much control.
As for losing weight, I did that too as I thought less in = less out but I had to put an end to that and started eating a lot of nut butters and was able to put the weight back on without having larger BMs. Nutrients are so important for healing. Fibre makes for more waste but a certain amount is necessary for peristalsis so it is a delicate balance indeed.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby hopefull » 11 Jun 2015, 16:38

I used to have one large healthy BM every morning, I was very regular as had always been eating healthy and running every other day but since trying to soften the stools it seems to have moved to one and a half to two BMs each day. I was eating nut/seed butters to fatten up but stopped as wondered if it was irritating the AF, I dont really think it was now, hard to say if there is ever much difference. My AF has a life of its own :roll:

I think I could firm up the stools a bit so might try either reducing the amount of lactulose or by replacing some fibre with some protein or carbs. I'm usually very weak when I get up in the morning so some more calories would be good just not sure how to go about it. As you say msimon, it's a very delicate balance. Perhaps some fatty proteins like fish and nut butters would help and keep me full so I didn't need to snack throughout the day.
hopefull
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby hopefull » 14 Jun 2015, 03:14

Had a pretty good couple of days, yesterday was only one BM I think staying on the toilet for longer seemed to help then and today I have had one and a half but no blood. The first was formed and slightly firmer which actually helped I think. It didn't hurt as much, wonder if it is because there was less urgency and therefore more time to slowly relax and open. I've stopped snacking between meals and pacing out my water drinking, not sure if either of those are helping my BM's. Can't believe I'm typing this on the internet. I've been getting more itchy in the evening so hoping that is some healing going on. The Lansinoh feels a lot better than the coconut oil so going to stick to it.

Been social again this weekend, nice to be out and not thinking about my AF but bit annoying that people mention my weight when I see them. I don't want to have to explain to them that I have an AF. If necessary I say I've not been well and hope they don't ask anymore questions. I'm actually quite a private person, even though I am here spilling my story and thoughts. Today friends turned up with croissants, bacon and local cheeses for lunch! Sounds a dream to eat, I had to politely say no thanks and quickly change the subject while they ate in front of me, dumb AF.

I've started being a little more inventive with my food which has improved my mood. Instead of pureed vege soup all the time. I made a lentil, kumara, sorrel, date and preserved lemon salad yesterday, so nice to have the variation. It takes me a long time to eat as I chew chew chew.
hopefull
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby msimon » 14 Jun 2015, 12:54

Glad to hear you are having some better days Hopefull. I know what you mean about the weight loss, I had that reaction too. I have since put some back on thanks to my nut butters. It's good that you were able to be social. That is something that has been vey difficult for me but is so important in order to cope.

lol! I know what you mean about the chewing! I have quite the strong jaw muscles now!
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby hopefull » 14 Jun 2015, 19:08

Thanks msimon :) It is difficult to be social ah, especially when there is food involved or when the pain is high enough to be distracting. Luckily it was pot luck so I could take something that I could eat and just nibble on other peoples food. I'm not sure how easily it will be to put weight back on while I'm breastfeeding but am trying. Still intending on stopping breastfeeding in a months time.

I've decided that if I ever become pain and bleeding free that I will take the Lactulose for 6 months and Mg for a year to ensure no hard BM's, use the Rectogesic for a month and sit on my wheat bag and use Lansinoh for 3 months from 2 weeks of feeling healed. I feel like the pain is reducing about 0.1 each week so at that rate I will be pain free in about 3 months. Here we go....
hopefull
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Tushi » 15 Jun 2015, 09:49

Hopeful or anyone else with coconut experience,
Please explain how you use coconut oil, how and how much you apply to anus; do you take it orally too?
Tushi
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby hopefull » 15 Jun 2015, 17:10

Hi Tushi...
I would apply it to the anus and I eat it too. To put it in the anus I would just cut small chunks out of the tub and push it slowly up the anus. It melts on the way up so lubricates itself. I would use it at least 3 times each day.
I eat it also, not sure of the effect it has on the stools but it is good for fattening me up. I add it to my porridge and soups and use it in baking instead of butter. Hope that helps :)
hopefull
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Tushi » 15 Jun 2015, 22:11

Many thanks hopeful! Do you keep the jar of c oil in the fridge? I don't and the solidification depends on the temp at home. I don't k how I could try to insert some without it melting in my fingers.
Tushi
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Return to Diaries