Going on 4 months!!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Going on 4 months!!

Postby alicia2015 » 20 Jun 2015, 13:34

I've had af now since giving birth to my son 4 months ago. The pain is excruciating for at least 5 hours after a bm. I take extra strength Tylenol and that barely helps. I saw a colorectal surgeon who prescribed me nifedipine .03% along with lidocaine that I have to take 3x daily. It's been about 5 days now. When would I start to feel relief?
She also told me to take fiber (benefiber) and I feel that makes it worse bc it bulks up my stool. I was taking stool softener but I would go more than once a day and couldn't imagine being in pain more than I already am.
Any advice would be appreciated.
alicia2015

Topics: 1

Re: Going on 4 months!!

Postby Sufferingbadly » 20 Jun 2015, 17:14

I can completely relate with you! I gave birth to my daughter almost 4 months ago and have suffered not only from a fissure but hemorrhoids too! I'm breastfeeding so there isn't too many options of experimentation that I can try but here is what has worked for me...
I agree, don't bulk your stools. It worked against me. everyone's body reacts differently to all methods but here is what is working for me... Lemon water in the morning & then regular water throughout the day (water is key!) Avocados, artichokes, whole wheat toast with peanut butter, brown rice(I don't like brown rice so I put lemon on it with a little salt,pepper and mixed my avocado into it. Sometimes I'd also add chicken for protein. I ate a lot of salads. Stay away from things that will irritate you like spicy foods, popcorn, chips and nuts. Be sure to chew your food into mush before swallowing! (I love to just gorge my food so this was a challenge at first...cool thing was that my baby weight dropped quick!) when I saw my doctor they also gave me nifedipine and lidocaine. I didn't use the lidocaine because I found no relief from it. The nifedipine will take time to kick in and work so I'd recommend that you don't stop using it. I was so desperate to find relief, I started using coconut oil making my own suppositories. I cannot tell you how much Of a relief I felt from using the coconut oil. Also take tons of sitz baths. They will help ease pains and also keep you very clean down there which is another key to healing. Hopefully you have help with your baby because I definitely needed help with my kids! Some days all I could do was lay down. This takes time to heal so lastly I'd say is to maintain a routine, and for soft stools use miralax!!! I don't take a whole dose, I do a half dose but I do it every day right before I go to bed. Don't be scared to poop. It has to happen so just pray and relax yourself! Squat also!! Don't sit on the toilet like you normally would. Squatting helps the stool come out easier. I hope you find some help through my remedies. Read all the posts on here! This is where I learned a bunch of helpful tips and it helped me stay sane and not get so depressed.
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby hurtinend » 20 Jun 2015, 17:37

Yes

Healthy food, good fats like avocado very good

Lidocaine just stings, does nothing for me

Sitz baths good

Cold pack good

Don't take too much Tylenol, ibuprofen etc...it's hard on the stomach, I've never found it to help

Patience a must
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby alicia2015 » 20 Jun 2015, 18:38

Thank you so much. I just invested in a sitz bath this evening and will definitely start taking miralax but take less and see if that helps. I just hope this stupid thing heals. The pain was so unbearable today that I cried :( thank up again!
alicia2015

Postby CJCJ » 22 Jun 2015, 15:31

Hello Alicia - I'm sorry you are suffering as we all are. I too feel no relief from Lidocain - it seems no one does, why does it keep being recommended??? I was given Rectiv by my CRS as he said it promotes healing the AF. I also called in for a pain med and was given Tramadol. While still very painful, BMs have been better these last 2 days and I haven't had to punch myself in the thighs to deal with the pain.

My CRS mentioned a fiber suppliment too. I always thought it was a 'bullk' adder, but check the web - it kind of does both things - it helps both diarrhea and constipation. I've used it for 3 days and will keep it up even though I never had a problem with hard stools before. But with less pain for 2 days, I'm not changing anything!

Squatting is better and sitz baths are good too as others have said. Although the bath gets a bit irritating but its a different kind of pain. Also, I BM right after the sitz bath as the area should be more relaxed and have better blood flow due to the hot water.

SufferingBadly - I hope you are reading this still. What do you do with the coconunt oil? Just suppositories? Use it as a cream? Eat it?

Good luck to all in healing!

CJ
CJCJ
Fibre Addict

Postby Canadabum » 22 Jun 2015, 16:09

alicia....you've gotten some good advice already....i posted a list of advice on lemonshark's post in this section and there is a lot of stuff in my post (6 months...what to do).

I found the bulking to be really bad for me -- cause a lot more pain than it helped to i stopped pretty early on.

Are you able to jump in to a bath for 10 minutes after a bm...if not, get yourself a heating pad or hot water bottle and sit on it right after the bm....i found the heat to be soothing -- it will not cure you but may help cut down on the intense pain you are feeling. I also found cold to be helpful if i ever felt sort of swollen down there -- an squishy ice pack wrapped in a towel for 10/20 mins to sit on....also took the edge off.

Keep the questions coming...we are all here to help each other.

Best,
Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby hopefull » 22 Jun 2015, 17:41

Hi Alicia, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are also dealing with an AF postpartum. I am in the same boat, my wee one is coming up 6 months. I agree with Canadabum, apply warmth post BM, how is the sitz baths going? I use a wheat bag and make sure I am sitting on it at each breastfeed, feels great.
Definitely want more soluble fibre than insoluble, so that's pears, sweet potato with skin off, apricots, prunes, porridge/rolled oats. I found oat milk really good at keeping it soft. I also reduced bread,dairy and meat and cut red meat. I take Lactulose and magnesium morning and night. Slippery elm works wonders at keeping it all soft and slippery :)
Are you breastfeeding? I am so need to drink 6L + a day.
Hope it helps.
AF since Jan '15 postpartum
Taking: Lax-sachets, flaxseed oil, Mg
Topical: Diltiazem, Sudocrem
Circulation: Warm wheat bag, relax, short walks
Tried: Rectogesic, slippery elm, Lactulose
hopefull
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Sufferingbadly » 22 Jun 2015, 23:07

Cjcj, I use the coconut oil only as suppositories. (I did try Ingesting it but I noticed it was suppressing my appetite so I stopped) After a BM the coconut oil, once inserted, really relieves /minimizes any itching, soreness and for me, pain.
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby hopefull » 23 Jun 2015, 01:52

Oh was meant to say, I've been given Lignocaine gel which I insert 5 min prior a BM and it works amazingly. Is this what you have been given? The syringe tube says it's for the urethra.
AF since Jan '15 postpartum
Taking: Lax-sachets, flaxseed oil, Mg
Topical: Diltiazem, Sudocrem
Circulation: Warm wheat bag, relax, short walks
Tried: Rectogesic, slippery elm, Lactulose
hopefull
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Magnesium Lover » 25 Jun 2015, 11:27

I've suffered with fissures on and off over the last 10 years and usually Scheriproct or Rectogesic has healed it, but a recent 'episode' had lasted since early this March and is only just coming right now. I tried Scheriproct again and although the bleeding stopped, the spasms and burning pain after BMs was unbearable and would not ease. Warm Sitz baths with Epsom Salts dissolved in helped and after using coconut oil and reading up on anything to help I was that desperate, I read on here about Magnesium helping relax muscles and stop the spasms. I got a bottle of Magnesium Citrate supplement tablets and within a day, the spasms were easing. A week later I felt human again and 2 weeks later now I feel great and can go to the loo without dreading it or crying! (I believe magnesium also works two-fold by making your BM smoother too.) Epsom salts are magnesium based too and helped in the Sitz baths. I am still taking the Anoheal (Diltiazem hydrochloride)which my doctor prescribed and that is no doubt helping too, but I'd used it for over a week before I started on the magnesium without any difference.
I would certainly give Magnesium Citrate supplements a try, it may not work for everyone, but I can't believe how much difference it has made for me.
I really sympathise with you, as it is a pain which is sometimes unbearable and really drags you down.
Good luck to you, I hope you find something that works for you.
Magnesium Lover
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2