3 months and going...how to best treat??

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

3 months and going...how to best treat??

Postby New2af2015 » 30 Dec 2015, 21:07

Hello
I am new to the forum and am sooooo happy to have found yall. I have dealt with chronic constipation for the last 8 years which I have treated with changes to diet (more fiber and water) and miralax when needed.

In late September 2015 I experienced what turned out to be my first af. Scary with lot of blood in the bowl but red, not dark red so not too worried. Before I have had times when there was a little pinkish smear on my tp but nothing like this. I did not have much pain at first, just some minor discomfort.

After a couple weeks I went to my doc. He examined my bum and diagnosed as an af. He gave me proctosol and an increase again in fiber to my diet. I made these changes and used the creme but then chafing began and my bm's became more and more painful. It seemed to eventually heal somewhat with these changes but then my doc changed my meds due to hormonal needs inciuding adding Metformin to decrease my insulin levels. Well, Metformin tends to lead to uber liquid and immediate bm's which seemed to somehow bring back the af pain. Now I have been dealing with this for the past 3 weeks with increasing pain to the point I almost passed out after a couple recent bm's. I am using deep breathing to get through them as my doc is on vacation until 1/5, and there are no openings with the covering docs. :cry: I am to the point I can barely walk after a bm and it has limited my ability to exercise and function due to the pain. I have broken both legs, have had nasal surgery and NOTHING felt like this intense, mind boggling pain.

My questions to you all: what do I ask for from my doc in additon to a referral to a proctologist? Do I ask for nitro creme? I ordered a sitz bath that should arrive Friday as we only have showers in our home. I am scheduled to do a 5k in less than 6 weeks that I have been training for the last 6 months after healing from two broken legs. Please help...all suggestions will be much appreciated!!! :thankyou:
New2af2015

Topics: 1

Re: 3 months and going...how to best treat??

Postby Canadabum » 31 Dec 2015, 12:25

New2AF -

:wel:

So sorry that you are going through hell right now...but glad you found us.

The most pressing issue for you is pain management right now...here are my thoughts:

Keep your bm soft -- you may want to use Miralax daily for now to make sure it is soft

Wash your bm after each time...either hop in the shower or find some sort of large bowl that you can sit in warm water...like a sitz bath.

Use ibuprofen or something like that if you can about 30mins before the bm...

Invest in a good heating pad -- sit on it after you wash and your bm...helped me deal with the pain...in fact sit on a heating pad as much as you can during the day.

If you can...lubricate the area with a bit of coconut oil or vaseline...may or may not help in creating a barrier between the bm and your skin.

When you see your doc definitely get a prescription for one of the fissure creams -- like nitro...I personally found that Nifedipine worked best for me.

One other thing that helped me during acute pain days...swimming. Hop in your local pool for 15mins to an hour and float or swim...somehow it really helped me.
Keep us posted,
Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby New2af2015 » 31 Dec 2015, 12:38

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I am going to up miralax to daily use for sure. I will try the cocunut oil and ibuprofen, too. I think I found an item large enough to sit in warm water after my bm, too. Can't wait for the sitz bath to come and to see what my doc can do to help. The pain has been unimaginable. Thank you again so much!!!! I am so happy to have found this forum as I was desperately searching for treatments online. Thank you!!!
New2af2015

Postby New2af2015 » 31 Dec 2015, 17:41

Hi Canadabum...
I looked up Nifedipine as you recommended it but it looks like an oral med not a topical creme?
New2af2015

Postby Canadabum » 01 Jan 2016, 09:53

Nifedipine and Diltiazem can both be compounded in to ointments and topical cremes. Your pharmacy should be able to do it. Both drugs are also used by people with heart issues who need a drug that will help reduce the resting pressure of the heart - hence the other delivery method.
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby New2af2015 » 01 Jan 2016, 10:10

Gotchya! Thank you for clarifying. I cannot wait for my Dr appt on the 5th...seems forever away.
New2af2015

Postby Savaici » 01 Jan 2016, 20:58

The nitro goes by the name of Rectiv in the US.

This is the link:

http://www.rectiv.com/
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222