Progression after LIS

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Progression after LIS

Postby Kasu » 12 Jul 2015, 09:31

Hi Everyone

Its my first post on the forum.

Iv had fissure pain for the past 4 years and 2 days ago I finally got round to having LIS. My surgeon was very much against having this done since the risk of incontinence was in his eyes 'not worth the risk'. In my eyes... ANYTHING is worth getting this debilitating pain away. Being 27 years old and in the middle of recovering from my nephrectomy 6 weeks ago... The thought of having this operation was a walk in the park. Went in. Came out. Instantly felt the difference.

When I say a difference... The constant drone of pain for hours has been minimised. I have had 2 BMs since surgery and both were mostly pain free. This mornings was hard because iv been stressed and not drinking enough water... So I'm kicking myself for that.

Iv been going for a salt bath after each BM which calms it down a little. It stings ever so slightly but ill take that over the pain before surgery. It's the reminiscent pains in getting 2 hours after the BMs that I'm going subside in the coming weeks. The tension that says there before has decreased significantly... But I feel it's still slightly there. Either that... Its just my fissure trying to heal and jolting me back to reality. Maybe it's the muscle telling me that he's not going down without a fight. Either way... Still better than before surgery...

Im hoping to edit this post over the next few weeks with updates as to how this progresses. Im praying it heals the fissure and continues to heal the incision. The muscle jolts of pain ate the only thing I hope goes away for good. Me thinking he has cut the muscle and its still twitching like a headless chicken inside my ass..... Anyway...

TL:DR don't listen to people who say don't get the surgery. Get it. You'll not regret it. It's worth the discomfort. Your in pain anyway. Take the chance. Get your life back. I'm already seeing a difference 2 days after it and wish I had done it sooner.

Any hints or tips are welcome. Thanks. :thecat:
Kasu
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Progression after LIS

Postby sat » 12 Jul 2015, 10:33

Hi Kasu.. do you have mucus(some liquid substance) leaking from your anus?
sat
Fibre Addict

Postby Kasu » 12 Jul 2015, 11:46

sat wrote:Hi Kasu.. do you have mucus(some liquid substance) leaking from your anus?

Hi Sat

So far... No... I haven't experienced any mucus. I have noticed a strange smell though. I left the hospital with alot of padding stuffed in there but I was told I could remove it the next day. It was then I first noticed the smell and even after a shower I could smell it faintly.

Its been around 3 hours since my 2nd bowel movement. During that time I was getting those old jolts of pain and stinging feelings that I thought were behind me (figuratively speaking haha). Usually they would last all night but they have subsided. Progress!

Have you had the surgery or are thinking of doing it? Don't be afraid to ask more questions because iv been through this long enough to be a surgeon myself haha
Kasu
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 12 Jul 2015, 12:23

Hi Kasu. Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on finally getting something that will hopefully put this all behind you, literally. Glad to hear things are going well post-surgery. Those zappings are very normal, I, as well as many others had them. It could be nerves that do this. My sphincter also spasmed until the cut area on it healed. A week or two for me (but I am very slow to heal down there). I hope things continue to go well. Keep us updated on how you do. We can never have enough success stories :)
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Kasu » 12 Jul 2015, 13:24

Thanks msimon.

Im glad you replied to this post because I couldn't find any other posts about 'post op spasms'.

This is good to know because was I feeling disheartened by the jolts. I thought since they cut the muscle it would be unable to contract.

It's now been at least 5 hours since my bm and no pain... Just the odd jolt but nothing compared to before the op. I even went a walk with my pooch and gf to take my mind off things. Walking at 0.05436mph right enough.... Still.... Keeps the blood flow to the area 8)
Kasu
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 12 Jul 2015, 22:36

You are very welcome:) Good for you getting out and walking. The blood flow will indeed be good. Just make sure to take it easy. As for the muscle spasms, only the portion of the muscle that was cut cannot spasm (this is usually only the bottom 1/4-1/3 of the muscle), the part above still can, and boy did mine ever! If they cut the whole thing you would be very incontinent. I found that heat (like warm baths and a heating pad) were helpful for the spasms. It will get better, hang in there.
msimon

Postby Kasu » 13 Jul 2015, 17:38

Update:

Day 3 post surgery:

Usually I have one bowel movement a day. Today I had 3...and the first was not as soft as I hoped. I felt the sting... And knew exactly what it was...

Hopped into the bath straight after it to calm down. An hour or so later the second wave came and seemed to agitate it. Blood And stinging. The Jolts were less than what would have happened before surgery which is good. I couldn't sit down for a while. 3rd Round came and it was too soft. The pain.... Christ.... I Can pinpoint exactly where the fissure is. To me it doesn't seem to want to heal. I Read that if there's bright red blood its a good sign.

So after all that I'm lying in bed since its late and the stationary pain is less than before the op if i was in this situation.

Do i still need to make sure it's soft? Seems like it will never heal at this rate :x i was under the impression after LIS the fissure heals rapidly.
Kasu
Fibre Addict

Postby Kasu » 16 Jul 2015, 16:23

Update: 1 week post surgery.

Change of diet. Purely on veggies and diluting juice. No meats or heavy going meals. Small meals throughout the day helps.

As for going to the toilet... I learned a technique from a board member. Pressing in hard just below your tailbone. Slightly above your anus. While having a bowel movement. What a difference. It completely takes the pressure off the upper section of your sphincter. Also it almost corrects your colon into aiming straight down. Just before it comes out normally sitting on the plan... It comes at a slight angle. This technique minimises this angle and it falls out no problem. I hardly need to squeeze. Even if I do need to though... The pressure is way less than it used to be.

As a result of this... Iv stopped bleeding and it seems to be healing. Far less stinging. Far less spasms. Im having 2 or 3 bowel movements a day without even flinching. This is a week part surgery. Feeling lucky so far.
Kasu
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 16 Jul 2015, 22:52

Horray! Good news Kasu. Glad to hear it.
msimon

Postby Kasu » 12 Feb 2016, 08:14

Bumping an old thread.

Update from last June surgery. 8 months on.

So far everything has been fine.... But recently iv had a bad round in the toilet which seems to have ripped the old fissure open. Been using anoheal to calm it down but doesn't seem to be getting better.

Anyone else had relapse after surgery? Does it heal quicker than before? I just don't want the spasms to come back.... I couldn't go through that anymore..
Kasu
Fibre Addict

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion