My Journey

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: My Journey

Postby msimon » 20 Aug 2015, 10:37

This is very good progress :) It doesn't seem like you are whiny to me. lol. You'll have lots of time to make it up to your wife when you are at 100% again. For better or worse right? ;)

I know you really want to get back to things but just make sure you take it really slow. These early stages are really important and getting enough rest is vital to healing completely and properly. Sounds like you are keeping the area clean, which is very important. I bet you, like many of us (myself included) lived on this board before your surgery as you seem to know just what to expect and what to do. Good on you. Hope to hear of your continued progress.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Canadabum » 20 Aug 2015, 11:43

Just wanted to chime in and say THANK YOU for sharing your story on a real time basis...what a huge help and insight for all.

One quick ? I have....what was your procedure/surgery called. I have read of a number of different procedures on these boards and am curious what you went through.

Thanks again -- no doubt this thread will be a huge help to many
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby SakPase » 20 Aug 2015, 12:55

msimon wrote:This is very good progress :) It doesn't seem like you are whiny to me. lol. You'll have lots of time to make it up to your wife when you are at 100% again. For better or worse right? ;)

I know you really want to get back to things but just make sure you take it really slow. These early stages are really important and getting enough rest is vital to healing completely and properly. Sounds like you are keeping the area clean, which is very important. I bet you, like many of us (myself included) lived on this board before your surgery as you seem to know just what to expect and what to do. Good on you. Hope to hear of your continued progress.

Thank you for continuing to chime in. And yes, I have been reading everything I could for far too long. I do not plan on doing anything over the top. I've been sitting a ton today, and will continue throughout the weekend. I am hoping that Sunday I can at least stand and sit as needed. I was scheduled to speak at church on Sunday night, but I changed that as soon as I knew surgery was happening, so I have nothing going on that I have to do with standing at all.

And...I'll continue to enjoy the TV.
SakPase
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby SakPase » 20 Aug 2015, 12:57

Canadabum wrote:Just wanted to chime in and say THANK YOU for sharing your story on a real time basis...what a huge help and insight for all.

One quick ? I have....what was your procedure/surgery called. I have read of a number of different procedures on these boards and am curious what you went through.

Thanks again -- no doubt this thread will be a huge help to many

Interestingly enough...we never discussed the official name. I am definitely assuming that it is LIS considering he went in to the right side of my sphincter muscle and cut it to allow it to rest. I'm no doctor...but that's what it seems like it was to me!
SakPase
Salt Bather

Postby SakPase » 20 Aug 2015, 14:17

Well, BM number 2 just happened 24 hours after the first...so I guess that's good.

Unfortunately, it was a bit more tender to pass than the first. It still wasn't like the straining that would happen with an AF, but it's still something I could do without. It doesn't so much hurt now after passing it, as the fact that I just feel exhausted.

I immediately got some pain meds in me so the next few hours will be alright. Overall, I'm still encouraged. Although, when I can walk in full steps without wincing from time to time or sit down and get up without looking like I belong in a nursing home, then I'll really be happy. But, it's all part of the journey.

I am tired of phenazopyridine though. You never get used to that drastic of a change of color in your urine...only a few more doses of that junk though!
SakPase
Salt Bather

Postby SakPase » 20 Aug 2015, 20:29

It's now 8:30 pm. 7 hours post BM. I was in a bit of pain, but it was at the incision site, and can't even feel the AF.

I took two oxycodone's immediately upon finishing the BM at 1:30pm today. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I absolutely LOATHE the way they make me feel. While yes, they do take away pain, it is not enjoyable. It slows down everything. I feel like I have to sit forever to urinate. Terrible feeling. Likewise, it just knocks me out. Hard to keep my eyes open. Thus, I try to keep it to a minimum. In 48 hours, I think I've had 9 in 5 doses. I do not plan on taking another tonight.

I took Tylenol and Ibuprofen at 5:15pm, then ventured out of the house with my wife. For her birthday, she wanted Qdoba, so we went. We've been trying to eat healthier lately as is, but especially in light of this, it was an easy choice to pass on queso and lots of cheese. Just did some corn tortilla crunchy tacos that were decent. Had some extra refried beans when I got home.

Also went to Target to pick up some items for me, as well as our ten month old. I must say, I don't know if it was being out of the house, or just getting blood flowing, but now that I'm home, it is the best I have felt since the surgery. While I'm still tight and tender, I feel like I have energy and can move. Still taking it easy and will for the next three days as well, but this is for sure, the best I've felt, and, from Tuesday with ibuprofen and Tylenol, the meds would wear off around 3 hours in, so I'm after three hours and doing great.

This could be just for this moment I realize, nonetheless, it's part of the journey!
SakPase
Salt Bather

Postby SakPase » 21 Aug 2015, 08:47

4am came and it sucked.

I could actually feel the incision hurting. So, I caved and took my pain meds. I noticed it took about 20 minutes to feel the effect. I went to my room, laid down, read a bit on my phone until I started falling asleep.

This morning, sitz bath, much less pain, and OTC pain meds. So we'll see how today goes.

The positive, I slept more last night than the previous two nights. Woke up at midnight after going to bed at 11:30 and urinated. I wouldn't have woken up but my wife had a coughing fit and woke me up, so I urinated.

Then at 4am, I urinated and took the meds. Other than that, I slept. And I slept hard. And I slept the latest I have, too...til 7:45am.

That's progress, too!
SakPase
Salt Bather

Postby SakPase » 21 Aug 2015, 14:35

Today has been Tylenol and Ibuprofen only again. In fact, not a ton of pain thus far today. Makes me very happy. Had a little bit of discharge each time I changed my bandage - it's disgusting of course, but its minimal.

Like clockwork, 1:30 rolled around and it was time for a BM. Yesterdays wore me out and hurt. Today was a little tender, but I wore myself out more by worrying about it. It actually was pretty easy to pass.

Post BM sitz bath, and then to the shower for my daily shower, as well as to wash myself with the hose.

Post shower, I finally checked out the area in a mirror placed on the floor. The swelling has diminished GREATLY. I can see the incision site, and actually can see it scabbing over, too. There is definitely still a lot of swelling, but not near what it was yesterday.

It did worry me because the scabbing is such a dark color that I was worried stool was stuck up there. I tapped gently with a moist wipe and it came back bloodstained, which was encouraging. And since I'm a worrier, I got a small q-tip, and again, lightly tapped the black part. Again, lightly bloodstained.

So, this afternoon, I'm driving for the first time to go pick up my daughter from the sitter. Saturday is a day of nothing. Sunday, I'll take it easy, but life is planning to lightly resume. And Monday, at this rate, I plan on taking it easy IN the office.
SakPase
Salt Bather

Postby SakPase » 22 Aug 2015, 09:46

Friday night I was in some pain and discomfort. Basically localized to the incision site. Took pain meds and was better. Also had a second BM last night around 6:30. Just fatigued me from fear...wasn't painful.

Went out last night and ate a burger. Was craving it, and tried to go easy for sure. It was delicious. Then, off to Target simply to walk around, as I was experiencing major cabin fever.

Came home in some pain, took a single ibuprofen and Tylenol. Sitz bath before bed, and then two pain pills as I was going to sleep. Woke up two hours later to urinate and felt awesome...

Urinated again at 5:30, and decided to take more meds to stay ahead of it. Sitz bath this morning at 8:30am when I woke up, and then just Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Another day of nothing, but fortunately, my wife and daughter are home to experience it with me.
SakPase
Salt Bather

Postby msimon » 22 Aug 2015, 13:59

Thanks for the updates. Glad to hear things are continuing to progress, albeit slowly.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64