My Journey

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: My Journey

Postby salamon555 » 30 Aug 2015, 09:11

SakPase Thank you so very much for the info.
salamon555
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby SakPase » 31 Aug 2015, 08:50

I am now almost 2 weeks post LIS.

Check up Friday was great.

Discharge is normal. Seems there is minimal bleeding when I change my gauze pad. It is most definitely increased with activity (walking, etc.)

Pain is absolutely minimal. There is zero pain...but at times, there will be discomfort. I would describe it as a bruised feeling? It is basically on the side where he cut me open.

There is zero stinging when having a BM. Although, it immediately begins to itch. I'll take it.

All in all, I'm encouraged. I know there's still many more weeks to go. I'm already tired of sitz baths, being extra tedious when cleaning up after a BM, and thinking about the fact there's an extra hole in my backside.

But, compared to the six weeks following the onset of the AF, the fact that I am pain free is a blessing.

Honestly, one of my biggest frustrations now is that I'm not sleeping through the night. Usually waking up around midnight (after being in bed for 90-120 minutes) to empty my bladder again. I MAY wake up once more, but it seems midnight or 12:30 is when it usually happens.

It is frustrating, because I haven't slept through the night in a month. And ultimately, it's been around two months since I actually could go to sleep at night without thinking I may wake up at night due to the AF.

But, I suppose I'll take it, because it's pain free. And it means I'm drowning myself in water to stay super hydrated.

All in all, I'm ready for life to be "normal" again....although there are definitely a few months before this happens. Every day is better than the last, though!
SakPase
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby SakPase » 03 Sep 2015, 08:25

I'll be MIA over the next few days as my trip to Haiti is upon me.

Each day improves. Stools are soft, I'm well hydrated, and there is simply no pain at all.

There are times where the incision seems to be a stinging itch for just a couple of seconds. It's weird, but that's the extent of it.

Bleeding is still there somewhat. Occasionally with a BM, but it's very light. The gauze pad comes and goes with the amount of blood that may show.

All in all, outside of the constant care for the wound, I have no pain, and life has improved drastically from pre-op.

Get the surgery from someone who is experienced. Life is finally as normal as it will be, until it is fully healed. But, to go to the bathroom, my only issue now is making sure I completely clean the incision. Outside of that, I don't fear the next 7-12 hours for pain. I don't worry that I'm going to be limited.

I simply go, clean, and get back to normality (albeit, 20 minutes later than normal...) :D
SakPase
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 03 Sep 2015, 09:00

It is amazing how much we can value a "normal" life after having suffered with something as debilitating as a fissure. I don't take even one poo for granted anymore, and am grateful every day for being normal again.

Congrats and I hope that you are over and done with all of it (100%) very soon.

:actiongirl:
And P.S., I think my overuse of this particular animation gives my age away!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby msimon » 03 Sep 2015, 14:44

So glad to hear such a positive story. Have a great trip to Haiti. Humanity is so lucky to have people like you in this world.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby SakPase » 07 Sep 2015, 22:24

Quick check in while in Haiti.

No issues here.

I will say, sitz baths with filtered and not warm water are not my favorite things. I'm getting three each day.

I'm trying to simply keep clean.

No limitations. Hiked to a nearby town to visit some of my kids families in our home today without issue.

Same tomorrow.

Self cleaning is annoying with the digital exam portion. Thankfully my doc gave gloves and gel to help. Still not my favorite but if it keeps me clean I'm okay.

Worst part is that I believe it has made me feel bruised and tender, especially at incision.

Overall, no complaints. Ready to be home soon to a warm bath and shower. But overall, except when using the restroom or cleaning I feel 100%.

Thursday I will hit my big hike. Around 7 miles estimated. And first mile climbs a 1200 foot mountain. Excited to go explore with about 15 of my kiddos.
SakPase
Salt Bather

Postby Sufferingbadly » 08 Sep 2015, 07:18

What an amazing journey to read, thanks so much for sharing all your daily steps in recovery. I'm the same age as you, 2 kids, work full time on my feet, dealing with a retear about once a month for the past 6 months. Hearing you talk about your experience so detailed and in full gives me excitement, as far as, if I do decide to have any type of surgery in the future if I do not heal on my own. Congrats to your trip to Haiti and have a safe return home. :Rock:
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby SakPase » 12 Sep 2015, 11:33

Back home and feeling well. Mostly, I never think about anything.

It's good to be home to bathe in warm and clean water...it's also good to be home and control my diet more. Although, the good news is, even when I wasn't in control of diet, nothing messed with me digestively.

I do think a lack of water intake has made them a bit firmer right now.

After a BM, or the self cleaning (self digital exam of sorts), the muscle feels bruised only when clenched. It is tender...that's it.

Blood is absolutely all but gone. From time to time, there may be a light pink spot on the gauze pad. There is still a little yellow colored skin discharge type stuff. But it has majorly decreased.

The bruised feel I have right now may or may not be in relation to the fact that I have not had cushioned seating in 8 days. Likewise, I had some strenuous walking while in Haiti as well. Thursday, literally climbed a mountain to the home of some of my kid's in our children's home. First mile is about 1200 feet up a mountain. Then, climbed a bit further up over the next 1.5-2 miles. The next couple of days are going to be very intentionally easy, so I'll update as well to see what may hurt or improve.
SakPase
Salt Bather

Postby SakPase » 16 Sep 2015, 07:29

Life has continued as normal.

Having a BM is still like going on vacation, just because I try to make sure everything gets clean. Still sitz bathing 3-4 times per day, especially post-BM. If I can't do so, I at least have a my protable bidet that seems to help.

The digital cleaning is still as fun as it sounds, although it has been less painful as of late. The pain I mentioned in my last post that is somewhat of a bruised feeling has lessened. I am wondering if my skin around the muscle was simply inflamed? I don't have proof of that at all, but have been putting neosporin on each night before bed and it has improved since then...

Yesterday, I ran for the first time since August 15 (30 days is the longest I've taken off from running since 2007...) and managed to do three easy miles. It was the most horrible run of my life...but only because I hadn't run in 30 days and it felt like my chest was going to explode. The cool part: zero pain that had effected me for 6 weeks leading up to LIS.

All in all, it's a slow go but feels like things are progressing.

Next Thursday is my check up. I'm hoping he tells me no more sitz baths are necessary and that I can keep from doing the digital cleaning.

But doctor knows best and if things are going this well with his rules, I'll do whatever he says to keep on this track.
SakPase
Salt Bather

Postby SakPase » 22 Sep 2015, 14:17

Diet seems to have been a source of the tender pain I had described. Now that I'm back home and able to control more of my diet, that pain has lessened drastically.

After a BM, the incision site will feel a tad tender. And sometimes the fissure site does, too.

There is still a spot of blood here and there in a BM at the incision site. The AF site hasn't in who knows how long.

Running has continued and doing great.

Follow up Thursday. I am legitimately hoping and praying that the news to me is wonderful that everything is progressing as needed...dare I say, perfectly.

I feel great. Just ready to move on from this.
SakPase
Salt Bather