Recovery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Recovery

Postby Nksmom » 02 Feb 2016, 22:37

My son had a fistula surgery 4 days ago, he has some bleeding but also some puss, like when the fistula was openDid that happen to anyone else?
He's so scared its gonna come back
Nksmom

Topics: 1

Re: Recovery

Postby Deleted User 4903 » 03 Feb 2016, 09:31

After my fistulotomy my doc told me it is normal to keep pus as long as its not extremely smelly or green. It took a month to stop pus.

Taking a bath 3 times a day in lightly warm water for 20 minutes, especially after each bowel movement is most important. And take metamucil and drink tons of water.
Deleted User 4903

Postby Savaici » 03 Feb 2016, 20:20

Quite normal to have a discharge after the surgery. Why surgeons do not tell their patients this is beyond me. Tell your son not to worry and that he will soon be on the mend, Nksmom.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Nksmom » 03 Feb 2016, 21:25

Thank you guys so much!
Nksmom

Postby Nksmom » 09 Feb 2016, 13:56

Hi again my son was pooping and felt something weird. We think it's just a popped stitch but he said it started bleeding and that poop was coming out of the wound
Is this normal? He's freaking out
Thank you!
Nksmom

Postby Savaici » 09 Feb 2016, 23:49

You don't say old your son is, but if he is a child I would suggest you speak to the surgeon who did the surgery.

It is fairly normal to leak brown discharge and to have a little bit of blood, as it is, after all, a wound. Also, I wonder if the wound was packed? That might have been the strange sensation - but I am only guessing here and have NOT had fistula surgery.

Do make very sure that he soaks after each BM (does he have a Sitz Bath.). Must keep all as clean as possible, with water, and no rubbing with toilet paper. That is very important. If he is disturbed by the leaking, do also get him to speak to the surgeon, but fistulas heal very well (I believe only about 2% failure rate). It is also possible to get sterile cotton swabs, which can be wet and used for dabbing until he feels 'clean'.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here