Hello

I'm down and out. Glad to find this place.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello

Postby Downandout » 16 Feb 2016, 17:07

I'm a male, 43 yrs old. I'm from the Pacific NW and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm glad I've found this forum although some of the terminology might a bit foreign to me, being from the states and not speaking proper english. So I still don't know what 'piles' are but I'll get there one day.

I'm a husband and father of a 2 1/2 your old boy with another due soon. I'm terribly depressed and have a lot of anxiety right now.

How I found myself here.

To make a really long story short, I had a terrible ear infection which the doctors gave me vicodin for and I ended up with the worst constipation I have ever experienced. I had a bowel movement that I almost ended up passing out from. I'm 100% sure that's when it happened and now every BM after is painful.

I've had hemorrhoids in the past and so I went to my doctor and she gave me some cream with diltiazam and lidocaine and some suppositories. The healing is sooooo slow.

I'm terribly depressed and the notion of having to have a BM gives me great anxiety. My son wants to play and run around and I can't even do that. My wife I'm sure is tired of being patient with me.

I would literally rather have a broken femur.

This is really terrible and I'm glad I found this place. It gives me things to read while I take 4+ baths a day. I'm tired of the baths as well... Ok. That's it from me. Thank you very much.
Downandout
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Hello

Postby Canadabum » 16 Feb 2016, 17:21

Hey Down&out....

Welcome to the forum. We totally know how you feel -- the fissure journey is not an easy one and it can get you down for sure....just know that you are surrounded by caring and knowledgable people here.

How long have you had your fissure for?

In addition to the diltiazem that you are using (3x a day or after each bowel movement) you should also incorporate some of the following:

drinks lots of water
increase fibre (but not too much...perhaps around 25-30grams a day...mix between soluble and insoluble)
take sitz baths/baths
use ibuprofen to deal with the pain as needed
perhaps use a barrier cream (vaseline, coconut oil) when going to the loo
raise your knees (squat) when you go to the loo...helps efficient and easy evacuation
vent as much as you need....stay as mentally strong as you can, cause the mental part of this battle is as tough as the physical
perhaps take your little one swimming....i found swimming helpful and it is a physical activity that may be ok for you

I hope some of that is helpful....again welcome aboard (sorry you had to find us!)

Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Downandout » 16 Feb 2016, 17:40

Thank you Canadabum. I appreciate it. I think I've had it for at least a month. But about a week ago it got unbearable. I went to the doctor Saturday. So I've been actively treating it, this would be the 4th day. The first two days I started to feel better immediately. So much so that on the second day I took my son for a two mile walk. But I think I got re-injured that evening with a suppository. :(

I've been using Aquaphor with the cream and just started using coconut oil for the baths. I feel fabulously soft all over with that :). I'm drinking more water than usual but not over doing it. I'm basically down to fruits and vegetables at the moment. I've lessened the amount I'm eating out of stress knowing that what goes in, must come out. I have a squatty potty. I think my big worry at this point is BMs. And how can I try to relax the sphincter.

** Edit** The mental anguish is absolutely every bit as bad as the physical. But this forum helps and I'm thankful for it.

Again thanks for the welcome.
Downandout
Fibre Addict

Postby Canadabum » 16 Feb 2016, 17:45

You are still in the acute phase and have a good chance of recovering from this by applying all the techniques discussed above.

One more thing you may want to add for a short period to keep things soft - a stool softener. Miralax is the softener of choice for many on this forum.

Keep using the fissure cream, keep it soft and you should start to feel better with lessened pain within a week.
Canadabum

Postby Downandout » 16 Feb 2016, 17:56

Canadabum wrote:You are still in the acute phase and have a good chance of recovering from this by applying all the techniques discussed above.

One more thing you may want to add for a short period to keep things soft - a stool softener. Miralax is the softener of choice for many on this forum.

Keep using the fissure cream, keep it soft and you should start to feel better with lessened pain within a week.

Miralax. Is there a preferred fiber supplement?

I haven't had a chance to catch up on all the stickies on all of the boards but I am dreading getting constipated again.
Downandout
Fibre Addict

Postby Canadabum » 16 Feb 2016, 21:23

Metamucil is one of them...search fibre supplement for a fulsome discussion.

That said - I would avoid consuming fibre powders and the like in the early stage of your recovery. Make sure you eat enough natural soluble and insoluble fibre throughout the day...the supplement will likely bulk up your stool and can cause more pain and aggravate the area. Personally I would stick to using a softener for now and when the acute pain subsides then possibly consider adding a bit of supplemental fibre.
Canadabum

Postby Downandout » 16 Feb 2016, 21:38

Sound advice. Thanks.
Downandout
Fibre Addict