Pre-LIS pain vs. Post-LIS pain

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Pre-LIS pain vs. Post-LIS pain

Postby phillyinpain » 18 Apr 2016, 19:41

hey! 21 yr old girl here. been suffering since October/November. cancelled first LIS out of fear/schoolwork, but now rescheduled one is coming up in a few weeks. I'm pretty terrified of the aftermath (even though I've read some good things) but I wanted to know for the people who have had LIS and say they have pain afterwards, is it worse than the pain beforehand or just not any better? I'd appreciate any input! Thank you!!
phillyinpain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Pre-LIS pain vs. Post-LIS pain

Postby FissureFighter80 » 19 Apr 2016, 12:11

I have had LIS done about 2 weeks ago. The pain after LIS is nothing compared to AF pain. The first couple of days are quite bad. Expect yourself to be mostly bed ridden and stay close to a toilet as I didnt have much control over BM's for first 2,3 days and when you need to go you need to go.

Ask your doctor to give you strong pain killers for right after surgery. It can be quite bad for first couple of days but nothing compared to a proper AF pain. So some thing that will make you sleep quite a bit and keep you relatively pain free.

Also keep a good stock of fruits + veg + wholemeal stuff and stool softeners. This should be your staple diet for first 2 days to keep things nice and smooth.

Hope all goes well and dont be afraid ... a lot of people have got this surgery done and its no biggie.
Best of luck :)
FissureFighter80
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Skiponzo » 19 Apr 2016, 14:50

My LIS was 4 weeks ago tomorrow and I'll second what FF80 says. Surgery pain is real but NOTHING compared to the AF pain. I wish I hadn't waited 3 months to get it done.

I took Oxy for 1 day then nothing but 2 Tylenol twice a day for the next 2 weeks.
Skiponzo
Salt Bather

Postby phillyinpain » 19 Apr 2016, 20:13

thank you guys so much for replying!! glad yours both went well.
phillyinpain
Fibre Addict

Postby Bst2011 » 21 Apr 2016, 07:11

I just finished my LIS surgery, it was very smooth I didn't feel anything. My doctor prescribed me some pain killer. I'm still under anesthesia effect but I feel little itching. I 2 I'll keep you posted about the pain level compared to the AF pain. Good luck
Bst2011
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Bst2011 » 23 Apr 2016, 01:28

Update - Day 2 post LIS.
The pain is pretty bearable but the discomfort is always there. I'm not taking painkiller all the time. But after my BM day 2 it's s bit painful with burning sensation and itching. The sitz bath helps.
I hope pain and discomfort will go with time, it should go if the operation is successful.

It takes time I guess for the fissure to heal...
Patience is a big factor with AF recovery.
Bst2011
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby phillyinpain » 10 May 2016, 22:05

hi everyone!
I had my LIS today about 9 hours ago and so far, things are going great. Immediately following surgery, I had absolutely no pain and only started to have it as I was leaving/on my way home. When I got home I took 800mg Motrin while my grandmom went and filled my pain pill presciption. When she got home, I held off taking the pain pill because of the fear of constipation and because the Motrin was working. it's now been 7 hours since I took the first and only dosage of Motrin and I'm still experiencing no pain! I have taken two sitz baths since I've been home. it's a little sore if I move too quickly, but other than that I am pleasantly surprised. I am scared for when I have to go to the bathroom, but I will come back and update so that I can be a resource to those like myself who loved posts like these. Hope I help someone feel better about going for it!
phillyinpain
Fibre Addict

Postby phillyinpain » 11 May 2016, 15:58

day 2.....feeling pretty much the same as day 1. I'm sore, but no bad pain. Haven't gone to the bathroom yet, still very nervous about that. so far, I think the decision to finally do it has been good :D
phillyinpain
Fibre Addict