advice on surgery

Chronic fisure need advice on surgery option

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: advice on surgery

Postby Becka456 » 13 Dec 2016, 14:41

I would cut down and see if that helps just maybe up your water in the day it should be enough. I really hope they manage to get it sorted for you and recovery isn't to bad, it's a horrible thing to go though and it's harder because it's not a nice thing to have to tell people either
Becka456
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 6

Postby Katie » 13 Dec 2016, 14:49

Thankyou so much for your messages today and hope you start to heal real soon hun xx
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Becka456 » 13 Dec 2016, 15:09

Thank you and wish you all the luck for January please keep in touch and let me know how you get on x
Becka456
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 13 Dec 2016, 15:22

Hi Becka,
I have had LIS....it was rough for the first 3/4 weeks but mainly due to my IBS and crohns I was warned it would be bad...I didn't realise they meant absolutely horrendous. But I went yesterday and the fissure has started to heal which giving the way my bowel was behaving was both a shock and a surprise....even though it's 5 weeks today.
I don't think I had a choice to have the LIS, Botox did nothing and my pain was at about a 4-8 depending how often I went to the toilet. Now if I just go once pain is only a 3 and isn't a spasms just a burning and it only lasts a couple of hours max where before it could last at least 8 hours....so even though I was in serious pain after for quite a while....yes I'm glad I had the LIS.
Most people find immediate relief from LIS and there was no way my fissure would have healed if I had left it.
I can also say that if my fissure hadn't been so long or so deep then I would have had a second go at Botox as for me personally it was much less painful and worked quicker and better than the LIS but again I have other issues that most people don't have, and that plays a big part.
Let us know what you decide to do
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Becka456 » 13 Dec 2016, 15:37

Hi, sorry to hear you had a rough time with it! Pleased you are starting to heal though! How long did you have your fissure for before deciding to have the LIS? Mine has just been over 2 years and it just won't heal, it starts to then I just re-tear and I'm back to the start usually caused by my ibs! For some reason I don't have the really painful spasms like I did a year ago but the spasm's are there still Botox is helping it at the mo but I'm 5 weeks into Botox and I've just re-tore any healing it started to do :( just wondering whether I'm wasting my time and I should just get the LIS done? How do you find it with your ibs? And how does it help heal it better than botox?
Becka456
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 13 Dec 2016, 16:19

The worst part is my IBS as I have some control over my crohns but very little over my IBS...I can often go 8 times a day even when I'm being careful and I have no idea why...it's always acidic and always liquid when this happens and of course it's this that stops the healing and causes the spasms. I have had my fissure 18 months now
I personally found the Botox better than LIS so far at minimising spasms and pain when my IBS plays up, as my sphincter just couldn't spasm with the Botox...it has certainly spasmed after the LIS, but again that could just be me....even after 5 weeks I'm still not sure I would be spasm free if I went 8 times at least with the Botox I knew I actually couldn't go into spasm...but it didn't last long enough and I wanted a permanent fix...just hope I don't have to go down the advancement flap route but I'm starting to heal so fingers crossed
Mypoorbutt

Postby Becka456 » 13 Dec 2016, 17:04

Oh ibs is so horrible and you can never predict what food is going to trigger it as sometimes you can ear something and be fine then eat it again and it upset it! Can I ask what made you go for the LIS over the advanced flap? I was offered the flap and turned it down due the risk of splitting the stitches due to my ibs? I thought the LIS was meant to stop the spasm permentely? Do you think I would be better off trying botox again before I rush into it? X
Becka456
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Katie » 14 Dec 2016, 02:09

My surgeon said she does not do lis she would always keep doing the bottox over and over! So let's hope I never need one done as o would have to change surgeons! X
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Mypoorbutt » 14 Dec 2016, 03:12

That's the exact reason I went for just the LIS as with my bowel if my crohns starts I can go 20x a day. No stitches would hold with that and I was worried about infection hence why I didn't want the flaps yet. That's my next step if I'm not healed more in 6 weeks. But I would insist on having Botox with it. I can't really advise as my fissure was so bad I would probably have needed 3/4 goes at Botox. All I know is for me with my bowel the Botox stopped the spasms straight away and with LIS I was still getting them very bad at week 3.
You could ask to see how much you have healed then if your more than 60% obviously Botox could heal you given enough time. My surgeon says he often does 2/3 Botox and gets healing from that.
Mypoorbutt

Postby Becka456 » 14 Dec 2016, 12:06

yeah that's exactly the same reason I turned it down! I think I will just have to wait and see at my next appointment if I have healed at all, I don't know if he will give me more botox though my last consultant gave it to me once and said because it didn't heal it means it wont heal with botox! I do like botox it does make me a lot more comfortable I just wish the soreness and stinging would go away
Becka456
Proctosphincteranalogist

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here