Hi All!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hi All!

Postby struggling79 » 31 Jan 2017, 10:39

My research lead me to this site only yesterday. I've read and absorbed so much information. Today I decided to share my story.

I've been dealing with pain since early last month. I had a bout of diarrhea and thought I had hemorrhoids. I tried every OTC cream that I could get my hands on but the pain persisted. I was having to sleep with water and a bottle of Tylenol within arms reach to help me cope.

I finally couldn't take it any longer and went to a walk-in clinic on 1/11. I was extremely embarrassed to even talk about my problem with the dr but she was very understanding. After she examined me, she apologized for the pain that I must be in and said she was going to refer me to a surgeon. I also got a prescription for Proctosol. Needless to say, I was terrified and cried on the way home. I just knew I was going to need a hemorrhoidectomy.

The week leading up to my surgeon appointment, I felt like I withdrew from life even more. I was crying all the time. Not just from the pain but I felt emotional trauma too. I felt like I wasn't being a good mother to my daughter. It's like everyone is enjoying life but me. During this time, my appetite ceased to exist. I became very weak and just wanted to sleep all the time.

On 1/18, I finally had my appointment with the surgeon. I was so scared. I could barely answer the nurse's questions without my voice cracking and my eyes filling with tears. When the surgeon finally walked into the room, his first words were "I bet you a million dollars you don't have a hemorrhoid." He said most people sent to him for hemorrhoids actually had a fissure. After the very uncomfortable/borderline traumatic examination, he said I did have a fissure. He prescribed me an ointment with heart medication mixed in (don't remember the exact name). I was told to use it 2-3 times daily for 6 weeks. If I didn't heal after 6 weeks, he wants to try the ointment again.

I left his office feeling a little defeated. I've already been in pain for over a month and this could last another 12 weeks. The Friday after the appointment, I experienced the worst pain that I have ever felt. It was a constant intense burning that nothing was helping. All I could do was cry.

I felt better by Monday and decided I needed to get "my head straight." I tried to change my outlook and get my sleeping schedule back on track. It wasn't helping me being up all night in pain by myself while my family was sleeping.

I've been using the ointment for nearly 2 weeks now. If I don't have a bm, I feel fairly normal. I need roughly 12 hours to recover after having a bm, though. I'm trying to continue staying positive but this is honestly the worst thing I've ever been through.
struggling79
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Hi All!

Postby chachacha » 31 Jan 2017, 14:58

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing so much pain, both physically and emotionally.

The ointment that your doctor gave you could indeed take that long before you see an improvement, but that is just the nature of a fissure. It helps if you take it one day at a time and try to get through that, and then do another day (one at a time). Hot baths can really help with the pain too, so if you're not already having those after each movement, it might help a great deal. It is great that your CRS diagnosed the fissure so quickly, because sometimes that doesn't happen and the right treatment doesn't start right away (the ointment).

I hope that you see some improvement soon. Keep us posted.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Mypoorbutt » 31 Jan 2017, 15:36

Hi sorry to hear your suffering, I was prescribed the same ointment and it did start to work pretty quick my spasms went down from 12/24 hours of rolling the floor agony to just lasting a couple of hours after a BM
I agree try to get some sleep I spent 4 months of being unable to sleep and afraid to eat much before I got the cream. It didn't help my state of mind or my body to heal.
Persist with the cream and as many hot baths as you can. You have caught this early so with luck you will heal quickly.
Another tip if you are still using toilet paper please stop it's the worse thing try a shower head or a bidet. My CRS told me never to use paper again and if stuck to use fragrance free baby wipes.
If you are in pain ask for some gabapentin it's the only thing that has ever touched my pain and helped me to get a good nights sleep
Take comfort in the fact that most fissures caught early and treated correctly will heal well
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby struggling79 » 31 Jan 2017, 16:08

Thanks all! I guess I do feel lucky that it was caught early and my dr has me on the right path. I sit in a bath frequently but it seems to be helping less nowadays. Currently, I'm using Preparation H wipes but they're so small and expensive.

I'm glad to have found this site and people who understand. That alone helps me greatly :)
struggling79
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby chachacha » 31 Jan 2017, 16:15

I use toilet paper that is sopping wet, because I find it much softer than any wet wipe that I've ever tried. Just run a wad of toilet paper under the tap and use it to wipe the area gently.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Mypoorbutt » 31 Jan 2017, 17:00

Ooooh good tip there CCC...why did I never think of that lol
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20