LIS at last

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS at last

Postby GilmoreGirl » 26 Feb 2017, 07:37

Right, well I can imagine they didn't want to in the first place, but if you're still in pain it may really help you. You've considered the colostomy, and surely this is a less invasive option, especially if the pressure is still high!

How is the pain today?

-GG
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby Mypoorbutt » 26 Feb 2017, 07:44

Well I had a BM last night that was very painful but I had some gabapentin and managed to sleep I'm just a bit sore today and have put some GTN on so hopefully that will help.
Yes that's what I thought I LIS is easy less invasive or serious than a colostomy and I can't be expected to live in pain because there is a risk of incontinence
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby GilmoreGirl » 26 Feb 2017, 08:32

Exactly! Any chance you can see another CRS if yours is hesitant?

I'm looking forward but also nervous about LIS, booking my surgery date tomorrow.

Mpb, have you ever had withdrawal from opioids? I'm still getting 24/7 stomach pain...it's been almost a week since I last took anything and the other withdrawal symptoms are gone (thank goodness).

-GG
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby Mypoorbutt » 26 Feb 2017, 08:45

This CRS is the only one of 4 that I have seen that would even agree to the LIS and I had to pay private to see him after a lot of research. I understand that as the majority of my BMs are just liquid then that seriously increases the risk of incontinence and also infection of the incision site I was given antibiotic cream which is practically unheard of over here because my surgeon was really worried, so I'm pretty certain any other CRS would refuse the LIS.
I have had withdrawal but it hadn't lasted long as I don't often have to take a large dose and its normally diarrhea and cramps.
Ooooh hun you will feel so much better after LIS
Mypoorbutt

Postby GilmoreGirl » 26 Feb 2017, 08:57

Ah darn, ya that's what I figured. But it seems logical that if your pressure is above normal that it won't hurt. Have you given muscle relaxants a try?

Ya I am caring less about the fissure pain now that I know I have a possible solution on the way...but this stomach pain ouf!!! I'm hoping it's just gonna disappear eventually as my system returns to normal - lesson learned, I don't react well to those meds!
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby Katie » 03 Mar 2017, 15:08

Mpb are things not good for u hun? X
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Mypoorbutt » 04 Mar 2017, 09:00

Hi Katie,
Things are actually really good if I can keep my colon under control and just go the once then I'm pretty much pain free....but unfortunately it's like walking a tightrope with my meds to achieve this as soon as a BM is a Bristol 4 or above and I go more than once I'm in pain and if I go more than 4 times then the spasms start, but hey this time last year the spasms started after just one trip to the toilet so I am very grateful I had the LIS as it has given me many pain free days and will continue to do so when my colon plays nice lol x
Mypoorbutt

Postby Katie » 05 Mar 2017, 11:25

OK hun pleased for u xx
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby IronicTwist » 06 Mar 2017, 03:18

Hi MPB. Good to hear LIS helped a little. I am curious though. After mine being rescheduled about 5 times, Im finally going in tomorrow morning. What is recovery like in comparison to spasm pain? Is it constant? How are bms post op? I have read a few stories on the forum and many are varied. What was your experience? Were you able to walk around on the second or third day?
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Mypoorbutt » 06 Mar 2017, 10:57

Hi IT
I could walk the morning after...had to go get some shopping lol I wasn't in agony until my IBS decided to play up. Was mainly discomfort until then
my first BM was awful about a 7 but the second was only about a 4 no hint of a spasm after. Again the spasms started after my IBS flared up. I'm certain that if I had normal BMs that by week 2 I would have been a very happy person but there's no controling my colon lol
Mypoorbutt