Diary - LIS in a few weeks!

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: Diary - LIS in a few weeks!

Postby GilmoreGirl » 03 Apr 2017, 05:59

Thanks guys. Very nervous but hoping my surgery will be in the am so I will not have much time to fret tomorrow!

Will of course update on here when I'm able!

-Gg
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby GilmoreGirl » 03 Apr 2017, 15:14

Okay so i have to be at the hospital for 11:20 and surgery is at 1:20...bringing Harry Potter and the goblet of fire with me lol so hopefully the time passes quickly.

I'm worried about not being able to drink much before, because the amitryptiline dehydrates me and I already have tons of trouble every time a nurse needs to find a vein. Stupid things just disappear.

Glad I had a larger bm this morning, because I have been going very little. My colon is being very sluggish, but I still have very soft stool...wish I could tolerate fibre because I think it would make things ideal. Oh well!

Trying not to stress but ugh it's not easy
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby Canadabum » 03 Apr 2017, 15:18

We will be thinking of you and wishing you the best. Don't worry about the iv -- they are pros at the hospitals and will make sure you are well cared for. Sending you all the best!!
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby mamafizz » 03 Apr 2017, 16:15

Gg, Prayers and good healing wishes your way. You are very strong, good things ahead for you for sure.!
mamafizz
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby Mypoorbutt » 03 Apr 2017, 16:16

You will be fine with the IV Hun a nurse can never find my veins....I have on occasion had to have blood taken from my foot but anaesthetists seem to be able to find them with no problem I remember when I was pregnant and they were struggling so bad to get a vein they sent for a consultation anaesthetist and he got it first try....after the midwifes had turned me into a human pin cushion lol
Again big hugs and good luck Hun xx
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby chachacha » 03 Apr 2017, 16:22

And in a worst case scenario, the surgeon can find a vein. I have really terrible veins too, and after being stuck over and over by the nurse, the surgeon was finally called in to do it himself.

All the best tomorrow and I hope that you start healing quickly.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Postby GilmoreGirl » 04 Apr 2017, 06:38

Thanks all! I don't know why but at this hospital they put the iv in and then put you in a waiting room before you see the surgeon and anesthetist. It drives me nuts.

Still nervous, but it will be over soon I hope.
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby mamafizz » 04 Apr 2017, 12:42

Hi, Ours does that too..! I wanted them to just knock me out and do it all at once. lol Home before you know it. Go Gilmore Girl, your a warrior!!! Keep us posted. This is going to do it! ")
mamafizz
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby GilmoreGirl » 04 Apr 2017, 19:10

Thanks everybody!

Home now, just peed so need to return to emerg for a catheter. I'm feeling pretty out of it.

IV went well, I had a good nurse. They put it in and left me in bed with my hp for a couple hours. Then they got a call from the anesthetist saying to give me a lorazepam...dunno why. I told the nurse that I wasn't really anxious at that point, but she made me take it...whatever. It just made me sleepy.

I thought they may do an enema before but I had none.

Nurses were helpful with warm blankets and checking in often. Eventually the surgeon came to talk to me, just said she thinks I will have to take morphine and Celebrex on a regular basis for three days. She did not prescribe a laxative since my bms have so loose. If I haven't gone by tomorrow night or Thursday morning I may take some miralax since I will be on painkillers, and my stomach tends to get upset if I don't go at least once a day. I will likely be posting some more questions about that on here later. I figure, worst case, I go back to the hospital and they can deal with it, poor nurses.

I then saw the anesthetist who said a little about she would be knocking me out, nothing new. She said I would be getting local anesthetic too.

Soon they wheeled me in to the or, up on the table. Gave me an oxygen mask. I heard the surgeon say something about antibiotics so I think she may have injected some locally not sure. They started the drip and I was soon out.

I woke up in lots and lots of pain - I would say equivalent to the fissure at its worst. The nurse was a little freaked out and said that they probably didn't put in enough local anesthetic. They started giving me the painkillers via iv in fairly high doses, and I still had pain but less.

They wheeled me into a recovery room when I'd stabilized, where they gave me Tylenol and Celebrex. I felt a little better then. They gave me water and offered cookies/juice but my stomach didn't feel up to it. A couple hours later and my pain was rising so they gave me oral dilaudid. Pain was then manageable.

Gave me a take home sitz bath. I have stitches but they will dissolve. Just some cotton and tape packing over the rectal area right now. I'm to remove it with first bath or bm, and not replace it, just wear pads as needed for discharge. They gave me a phone to call my dad and he came and wheeled me out to the car. Lay in the back seat for the ride home, sitting isn't an option now and standing isn't fun either.

Of course I'm scared of first bm or even to pass gas as every movement hurts right now...and I don't remember a bm where I haven't had to strain at least a little.

Glad it is over, and I'm really hoping (but not confident at all) that this will be then end of my butt issues. Those hems are getting pretty ugly, I'm sure they'll cause problems.

Next step is to get my ibs under control. I have sluggish bowels but loose stool. Even if I don't go for two days, it's mush when I do (sorry for the tmi). It's independent of diet completely - to me this must be some sort of bug or something, or bacterial overgrowth...what the heck could be making my stool so soft even if I'm going mac once a day? They are really hard to pass and messy. And the stomach pain is just crazy.

Anyways. Long post but I wanted to get in all of the details now for those who may be nervous later on. YES there was pain but it was managed, and the surgery itself was easy peasy.

-GG
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby chachacha » 04 Apr 2017, 20:13

Congrats on having it behind you now! I'm sorry that you had so much pain, but hopefully, that's behind you too. My first BM almost fell out by itself, so I hope that you have a similar experience.

I'm not sure what you mean by an "hp" though, in this part of your second paragraph "and left me in bed with my hp for a couple hours".
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha