First CRS visit this week

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

First CRS visit this week

Postby patience_and_healing » 10 Apr 2017, 17:12

I'm going to go see a CRS this Wednesday for the first time since I developed these fissures 4 months ago. So far I've only seen my GI and I'm pretty nervous about going to see a surgeon. I've met her once before for an unrelated issue, and she seemed pretty competent, but at the same time I'm so worried she will say something like "You won't heal without surgery." I'm just blocking this out until the actual appointment day arrives. I'm even taking my husband along because I'm so anxious about being there alone and not remembering half the things she will say.

I'm so thankful for this board and all the wonderful members because of whom I have a lot of information about fissures. An informed patient is an empowered patient!
:afsmile:
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Re: First CRS visit this week

Postby Bum_UK » 11 Apr 2017, 10:28

Good luck tomorrow! It's a good idea to bring your husband along both for support and for an extra set of ears! :)
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby patience_and_healing » 11 Apr 2017, 11:13

:thankyou:
patience_and_healing

Postby Mypoorbutt » 11 Apr 2017, 12:50

Good luck I'm sure she will give you plenty of options. If your in the U.K. and are a female an operation is very rarely there first choice.
If you don't want an op ask her about all your options
Really good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby patience_and_healing » 11 Apr 2017, 13:04

Thanks so much MPB ! I'm located in the US, and I know that the surgeon I'm going to doesn't offer Botox. I wanted her opinion all the same though. And I have another CRS visit set up about 5 days later for a second opinion. That other doctor does offer Botox so I'm interested in hearing the different opinions.
patience_and_healing

Postby patience_and_healing » 12 Apr 2017, 12:54

My visit went surprisingly well. Another lesson for me to stop worrying so much about things beforehand!

The doctor took a look at the area from the outside. She said she could only see one small fissure at the posterior location. She couldn't see any other fissures and assumed that I have healed in those locations. The fissure is not scarred, which was surprising for her since I've had this for so long. She said this was probably because I healed at some point but then reinjured it, which is what I think too. The muscle is definitely in spasm, since she couldn't fit a finger in easily.

My next course of action is to change how I'm using the nifedipine ointment. I'm supposed to use a q-tip and apply it while sitting on the toilet. She says right now it's getting smeared everywhere which will eventually cause a rash. I have to take benefiber daily, continue with stool softeners and try to reduce the amount of lactulose. This is because lactulose causes greasy and sticky stools. She suggested maybe trying miralax again but she's not fully in favor of that since it caused burning. Also, no more suppositories since they irritate the fissure by opening it up. And she was very critical of the general doctor​ who first gave me steroid suppositories to fix this. Said it's most likely because of those that the fissure became worse. :( I still get upset when I think about that doc, but I hope I can eventually get over that feeling.

Overall it was a very reassuring visit. She did say that she's not sure that I will heal because it's been so long, but at the same time I'm not a candidate for surgery because my pain levels are so low. She usually operates (LIS) on people who are totally unable to function from the pain. I would end up with more pain from the surgery than from fissure. If I want to do Botox, she can refer me to someone who will do it, but she says that literature shows it's no better than nifedipine.

I'm due to see her in 3 months and I really hope to heal by then. I'm going to do everything I can to help it along.
patience_and_healing

Postby paine » 13 Apr 2017, 05:11

Overall it was a very reassuring visit. She did say that she's not sure that I will heal because it's been so long, but at the same time I'm not a candidate for surgery because my pain levels are so low. She usually operates (LIS) on people who are totally unable to function from the pain. I would end up with more pain from the surgery than from fissure

this is what happened to me. after the crs operated me with lis she said my fissure is close to healing but still she proceeded to do lis. now the surgery area is more painful than my fissure :evil:
paine
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby patience_and_healing » 14 Apr 2017, 12:51

I'm so sorry you have to go through this suffering. I hope you can heal and put this whole experience behind you and enjoy your life.
:smilyhug:
patience_and_healing

Postby Bum_UK » 21 Apr 2017, 03:00

I'm pleased to hear that your CRS visit went well! It sounds like an ounce found a good CRS.
I've been away on vacation for a week hence the late reply. :)
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby patience_and_healing » 21 Apr 2017, 10:25

Hope you had a fun vacation despite the fissure. Is it getting any better?

She seems like a good CRS yes, I just wish she had more confidence in Botox and could do it herself instead of me having to go to another doctor for it.

I'm having trouble getting my BMs to stay consistent at the moment. Developed IBS like symptoms that I suspect are from my Augmentin course long ago. Probiotics are helping to keep it in control but I can't take them like this forever.
patience_and_healing