BM after surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

BM after surgery

Postby Harper05 » 15 Jul 2017, 11:19

any tips? I just had another LIS and a fissurotmy..
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 28

Re: BM after surgery

Postby Laurieb » 16 Jul 2017, 13:19

I wish you a speedy recovery Harper. How do you feel compared to your previous surgery?

I would say in my case colaces helped me better than the mineral oil I took in the first postop days. I'm on week 2 now and still take my lax a day with fiber supp and 2 colaces at night.

Also it made a difference when I stopped the narcotics, no more occasional constipation. Finally, as you know, sitz bath is a savior after having a bm.
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Harper05 » 16 Jul 2017, 18:41

I feel sore, this was my third LIS and he also cut around the fissure - I hope I heal this time.
Colace does nothing for me :( I have been doing miralax and milk of magnesia.
Are you still sore 2 weeks out?
I haven't taken any narcotics.... I really don't want to get more constipated!
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Laurieb » 17 Jul 2017, 11:04

No, not sore anymore since about 10 days postop. I feel it's not 100%, sometimes it it itches or I can still feel a slight pressure but I'm doing good overall.

I once tried the milk of magnesia several years ago after an orthopedic surgery and I remember it did the trick.

However, I read MoM and mineral oil should only be taken for a couple of days since the body can get used to it and become "lazy" with the transit.
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Postby Harper05 » 17 Jul 2017, 16:32

Ok, I'm hoping I get better.

Did you return to work? I'm wondering when I can return to doing "normal" things.. I'm a really active person so it's tough being laid up!
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Laurieb » 18 Jul 2017, 07:25

I know right, it's difficult, but you body needs it. If you think you are able, you can always go for a walk? Start progressively. Listen to your body. You don't want a setback!

I spent the first week in bed. I'm a freelancer so I had to work by 5-6 days post op, and fortunately where I live there was a long holiday weekend just after my surgery, but I just needed my laptop in my bed and I didn't worked full days.
Last week I worked more, and was able to sit on my side at my desk in the afternoons.

When do you return to work?
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Postby Harper05 » 18 Jul 2017, 08:11

so you were still sore a week after? It's been 4 days... I'm still very sore.
So I'm a stay at home mom. I have 2 small kids, I have to bring my son to camp this week and get there by 9.. the struggle is real.
I'm a runner and run a lot.. and not being able to really sucks... I don't want any set backs Again... this is my 3rd time around so I really don't want to mess things up. I'm also a personal trainer- so I def will not be doing squats for awhile!
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Laurieb » 18 Jul 2017, 21:05

Haha @ the squats! I miss them also. Can't wait to get back to my workout routine.

Since it's your 3rd surgery, after how long were you able to run and do some muscular exercices after your recovery in the past?

A week after I was still sore definitely, wouldn't have been able to drive. Even now, at 18 postop days, I can drive only short distances and I use a bean/heating pad because I have to put my weight all on my left side. Can someone else drive your son to camp?

I also have 2 young children. After 2 weeks I feel I can now take care of them and follow our usual routine.
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Postby Harper05 » 19 Jul 2017, 19:17

I think I started to do light weights around week 3, I never felt "great" I was always sore... my last crs told me I could run like 5 days after the surgery- that was not happening.
This time around I am walking around slowly... I have a fitbit, so I probably do about 2.5 miles a day - slowly. So being somewhat mobile keeps me sane.
No one else can drive him, I did have some help on the first day so that was helpful!
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist