Hemorrhoid Banding Diary

My rubber band ligation experience

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

Re: Hemorrhoid Banding Diary

Postby Dnank » 14 Dec 2016, 11:50

The pain in that one spot is slowly getting better. I still feel it all the time a little and it hurts when going. Went once yesterday and still not too much pain and no blood. It remains soft and easy to pass. I'm eating more now. I'm still not back to normal but I think I'm well on the way.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Dnank » 15 Dec 2016, 11:03

Day 14: No BM yesterday but had one this morning. Still a little pain during and after but it is becoming less and less. It's been almost two weeks and I'm finally getting back to normal. I haven't had any blood at all in a week and a half.

I'm fairly certain now that the procedure gave me a fissure. I had considerably more pain for a much longer time than the vast majority of people that have this procedure. I also had the after-BM spasm pain associated with fissures. I heal quickly, by fissure standards, now that I can keep my BMs soft with Miralax and Amitiza, but it still takes at least two weeks to feel close to normal. Then there's still some healing going on in there after that.

I'm close enough to normal now to end this diary. I'll update it if anything changes or there is a setback.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Craahn111 » 30 Aug 2017, 22:41

So sorry to here you had to endure so much grief...hope everything is on the mend...I had just received the bands on 3 internal little devils. Sensation was unlike anything I could compare.
The Doctor was awesome. Good sense of humor and He put them on so fast.
I was done in less then 5 min.
Imediatly after, I felt the need for a bm.
But of coarse that feeling is from what had just been done.
I seem to hit every red light driving home...pain was pretty high...no sharp pain though so all went well.
I got home and imediatly had a sitz bath.
Eased the discomfort a lot. I took an advil as well.
After about an hour in the tub I got out and crawled into bed. The discomfort level was quite high still...I lay in bed and just took it. The discomfort level dropped slightly and I managed to fall asleep for about 2 hours.
The pain and discomfort tappered off considerably. The procedure was at noon its now 8:40 pm and Im ready for a sleep.
Ill be taking the day off from work tomorrow. My work is quite physical and I just don't want to do too much too soon. So far so good.
Craahn111

Postby Dnank » 31 Aug 2017, 08:04

It's been about a year since I had the banding done and I'm having it done again in four weeks. I have slowly had more and more trouble with one that wasn't removed by the first banding session. I had at least two bands come off prematurely. It did get rid of the worst ones I had at the time but I never was completely normal after. I've been dealing with fissures and hemmorhoids for over 3 years now. Hopefully after I heal from this new banding procedure I'll finally be back to normal. I plan to add to this diary after the procedure is done on September 29th. I'm really hoping the recovery isn't as bad as last time but it does seem worth it. BMs have become very painful for me.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 04 Oct 2017, 19:27

My banding had to be rescheduled, so I just had it today. Friday would have been so much better but at least it's done. It was done by the same GI doc that did it last year.

Lots of pain since I woke up from the procedure. He said he banded three. Last year he banded four and two bands came off. I think today is similar to the day-of last year - pain is similar. It's hard to remember but I'm thinking maybe a tiny bit better this time. It seems like I'm having less stomach discomfort and gas too. Urinating hasn't been that difficult either.

Anyway, not much else to report. Just dreading the first bm. I didn't eat anything yesterday and was cleaned out well with an enema before the banding. Ate very little today. Hopefully I won't have to go tomorrow and can put it off another day.

I was given hydrocortisone suppositories (twice a day, same as last time) and 5% lidocaine cream as needed. I don't think the lidocaine helps much.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this, but on the way home after the procedure I almost passed-out. It was about a 45min drive and I started feeling very sweaty and nauseated. My wife had to stop for a couple minutes to let me recover. It was like motion sickness but very intense.
Last edited by Dnank on 08 Oct 2017, 11:53, edited 2 times in total.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 05 Oct 2017, 16:57

Feeling a little better today. I'm definitely ahead of where I was last year at day two. I feel uncomfortable pressure all the time but pain is less and less. I can't stay in the same position too long. I have to walk around every now and then. Sleep was difficult last night. I was actually able to do a little work today. Still don't feel like eating much.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 06 Oct 2017, 18:29

Felt a little better this morning. Woke up in the middle of the night with burning pain again. Couldn't go back to sleep for a couple hours just like the night before.
Most of the day wasn't too bad, but it's 7:30pm and I feel bad dull pain all the time down there. It hasn't felt like this until an hour or two ago. Took ibuprofen and used lidocaine cream. Hopefully that will take the edge off. I worked more today sitting for a couple hours at a time. Maybe I'm suffering from that now.
Still no urge to go. I haven't eaten much still.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 08 Oct 2017, 11:35

Feeling ok this morning. Still haven't had a bm but feeling the urge a little now. I really don't look forward to that. I know there's going to be hours of burning after. I woke up last night after a couple hours sleep with bad burning and couldn't go back to sleep for a couple hours.
I still feel like overall I'm making slow progress.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 08 Oct 2017, 16:25

Had my first post-banding bm two hours ago. Painful but not a lot worse than I was having recently before the banding. The burning started getting bad about an hour ago. I'm still burning down there with occasional sharp, quick stabbing pains. I've had much worse. As long as it continues to get better, I'll consider banding worth it. I've been taking ibuprophen and tylonol, sitz baths and applying lidocaine cream. There was some blood but nothing unusual. I didn't see any bands.

I'm pretty sure I have an external hemorrhoid to go with the internal ones. It got bad about a month ago and caused considerable pain. I then began using hemorrhoid cream and after about four days the pain was much less. I've read that getting rid of the internals helps with the externals too.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 09 Oct 2017, 13:11

It was pretty miserable after the bm yesterday. The burning lasted for 4 hours. At times it was quite bad, enough to make me feel sick to my stomach. Woke up once during the night in pain also. Moved around a bit, felt better and was able to sleep through the rest of the night. Seems like progress, but it's slow. I'll probably have to have another bm tomorrow. I certainly don't look forward to it.
Dnank
Salt Bather