LIS at last

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS at last

Postby missy moo » 11 Sep 2017, 18:13

Hi long time no hear please give me hope of some kind I did 4months of diltiazem everytime I had a little setback I started all over again but the last 8 weeks have been amazing I thought yay I'm fixed but while still using the cream on my last day of cream the fissure was back now I'm in pain again with blood my bm was a little more formed an harder but not alot I eat an drink the same everyday so I'm stuck what now?? 8 more weeks of cream?
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Jimbfree47 » 11 Sep 2017, 18:16

When did you have your Surgery? And is your pain at the fissure site or the incision site?
Jimbfree47
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby missy moo » 11 Sep 2017, 18:31

That's the thing I haven't had any surgery but I've had this fissure come an go for 4 years gone for about 4 weeks then back for two but lately I've been using diltiazem like crazy for 4 months straight an every time I had a little flear up I started the 8 weeks again this passed 8 weeks has been back to perfect no pain nothing back to my old life then while on the last day of the cream bam the fissure is back I'm way back at the start this isn't just a minor setback?? I'm over it I have a 5 month old an a 4 year old at home no support an my partner works long hours he's the only one who knows about this fissure an pain it causes plus my doctor please give me advice
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Jimbfree47 » 11 Sep 2017, 18:40

I would have a CRS take a look at what is going on. I have used the ointments after I had the surgery 10.5 months ago. I now can have BM with hardly any pain. I still get an occasional flare and its usually due to getting stressed out or anxiety attacks which can wreak havoc on the Sphincter muscles. Try relaxation biofeedback exercises and by all means do not get constipated.I am not sure if I will be ever normal down there but it is much better and no ointments. I will have a pain level of 1 to 2 over a 7 to 9 anyday
Jimbfree47
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby missy moo » 11 Sep 2017, 19:11

I suffer from anxiety an high stress everyday but don't want to take antianxity medication I'm so upset it's so curl I was on the last day I had planned on stopping the cream the next day it's hard to apply cream privately 3x a day with my toddler an baby with me at home I can't live like this but I'm scared that I'd I have the surgery I'll be just how I am now pain on an off or is the pain different my pain now is like a sliced anus pain I don't have spasm pain but it does close right up tight but i only hsve consent sliced pain like when you cut your finger with a knife
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby missy moo » 11 Sep 2017, 19:17

Also i don't know what's wrong with my body I take lax sachets everyday an eat the same an drink the same but then randomly I'll have a portion of harder stool the 8 weeks were soft fine then just a small bit was hard i.e. the size of two thumb nails side by side the rest was soft as an I go atleast once a day
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Katie » 07 Feb 2018, 05:53

How are you now? X
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby banjobuddy » 07 Feb 2018, 07:03

Hi Missy,
If you're still having problems on and off after 4 years, maybe it's time to seriously think about a LIS. I know it's a huge scary step to take, but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. I'd had anal/rectal issues for nearly twenty years before I took the plunge last April. I did the whole biofeedback thing, tried dietary changes, everything you could think of, but it still didn't change the fact that I had a super tight sphincter, which led to fissures and pain.

My CRS tried to dissuade me from going down the LIS route, insisting that biofeedback was the answer and to relax. In the end, I got so fed up with being fobbed off, I spent an hour in her surgery arguing with her and making a point of stressing how desperate I felt about the whole thing. In the end she relented and agreed to do it. Anyhow, after having a few post operation problems with bleeding (very rare), it eventually stabilised and life is a lot easier now. Like Jim, it's not always perfect, but the comparison is huge and my anxiety levels have dropped enormously. When I do have problems, it's generally of my own making by pigging out on too much junky food. I still take Movicol and probably always will as I am prone to hard bowel motions, but it's a small price to pay. My weight pre-op had dropped to around 8 stone and I was super skinny after having a ridiculously strict diet. I'm now pushing the scales at nearly 10.5 stone and I'm things I haven't eaten for years such as spag bol, lasagne, pot roasts, large slices of fruit pie and other evil things. I still use a little Rectogesic ointment after every bowel movement, but I may have to wean myself off it as my CRS recommends giving it up, so it may become difficult to get from my GP.

The things most people are scared of when considering the operation are:

1) Coping with the pre-op anxiety of going under the knife. No easy way through this other than to just live with the fear and get your op as soon as possible. Also, remember when it's over - it's over!

2) That first bowel motion after the op. Personally, I found that it wasn't too bad at all. I think it probably depends a lot on how bad your fissure is at the time of the op. I also had a fairly low intake of food pre-op. Worst case, you have some pain, but the odds are this will lessen fairly quickly.

3) Incontinence is the one doctors always seem to focus on. Personally, that never really bothered me a great deal. I do find I'm a bit windier, but that maybe due to some of the foods I'm eating now lol! I also find it can take a little longer to clean up after a bowel motion. If you're still using toilet paper, I'd suggest going over to baby's wetwipes - much better.

Most of us want to hear that there's a non-surgical answer and will go through the whole process of trying every crackpot remedy out there. I'd say don't waste any more years feeling awful and suffering from terrible anxiety as I frequently did. Some people will get over it without surgery, but when your quest turns into years, it just isn't worth it.

So in summing up, LIS isn't the complete magic bullet for everyone, but it will undoubtedly make things a LOT better.
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Topics: 18

Postby Mypoorbutt » 07 Feb 2018, 09:06

Hi missy I’m having a bit of a relapse at the moment my crohns has flared and I have a fissure that appears to be getting worse and not better I will be making an appointment soon with my CRS if it doesn’t improve
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby missy moo » 07 Feb 2018, 14:03

Hey anyone wanting to watch my story I'm getting a fissurectomy an botox in a few days and have started my own (thingy) in the general fissure discussion area called fissurectomy an Botox
missy moo
King Fissure