LIS after pain decrease

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS after pain decrease

Postby Hpsauxe » 08 Feb 2018, 13:16

Hi, just wanted to get some advice. I have had a fissure since about September, but I didn’t have health insurance so I didn’t get to see a dr till November. I got prescribed rectiv and started using that. I then got insurance and went to see a CRS, who also prescribed me nifedipine. I’ve been using these creams since end of December and the pain when passing stools has decreased considerably. However, I was still getting pain after BMs so I saw my CRS last week and he recommended LIS. The day after I saw him I then experienced no pain at all after BM and it was great! This lasted for about 5 days, but the pain has started up again. I also have a sentinel pile and it feels like the pain is from that, rather than the fissure. Anyway, I guess my question is should I continue with the creams (as they seem to be working slowly) or should I get the surgery? My CRS has said it’s a minor procedure and not painful but reading online I have doubts about that. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Hpsauxe

Topics: 3

Re: LIS after pain decrease

Postby Mypoorbutt » 08 Feb 2018, 13:33

Hi,
Our lovely fissures have a nasty habit of pretending they are gone just as we decide to do something about them.
On the other hand LIS while a minor procedure will require rest for a week or so and some people need a bit longer than that to feel better.
Only you can decide what to do and if the creams are working then maybe it’s worth trying them for longer.
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Re: LIS after pain decrease

Postby banjobuddy » 09 Feb 2018, 07:27

Hi,

The way I look at is if you've been suffering with rectal/anal problems for a considerable amount of time (i.e. years), then it probably is a good idea to bite the bullet and have the LIS procedure. I would certainly have it again if the effects of it diminish, despite being one in a zillion patients my CRS operated on to suffer from some serious post-op bleeding (not common!). As MPB has said, it's probably worth trying your current regime for a little bit longer, but knowing the LIS is always there for you if your fissure stubbornly refuses to go.

One thing I would say to anyone having an LIS is to get a sitz bath that will sit in the loo. It's great to soak your behind in following a a bowel motion and gets you nicely clean. Great if you haven't time for a full bath or you only have shower in your bathroom.
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Topics: 18