LIS and possible hemorrhoidectomy today

What was your experience?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS and possible hemorrhoidectomy today

Postby Nopooptalk@thetable » 24 Feb 2018, 10:24

That's terrible with all you had going on that you didn't feel like they were listening to you. The first time I went to a doc about this was right after I had my daughter, 2 years ago. When I initially tore (I also had a fissure after I had my son but no one caught it and it healed after a long time and there's a tag there now) I went to a GP and I told him I thought it was hemorrhoids and I explained the pain, etc. He did a check and it was excruciatingly awful and I spasmed for 24 hours from his fat finger :( the next time I went was after a week long stomach bug and constant diarrhea but I went to a gastro that specialized in hemorrhoids. Thankfully he knew just by looking at my face and the amount of pain I was clearly in, that it was most likely fissures. I was lucky to have him listen and take his time with me and even luckier that he referred me out and didn't do a trial and error with me for too long. My CRS has been very nice, informative and open with me so far. I feel really lucky to have found great doctors.

They've told me to stick with colace and miralax if I feel like i need it. Colace is gentle on me. Miralax makes me super gassy but helps the consistency without being too forceful. It's amazing to me how much thought can go into how our poops are lol. Even moreso for you MPB I'm sure :( how far out are you from your LIS surgery? How do you feel now that some time has passed?
Nopooptalk@thetable
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby chachacha » 24 Feb 2018, 10:53

You are exaggerating about the GP only having 5 minutes, right? Our appointments are in increments of 15 minutes each for the GP and surgeons have the same. I was given opioids immediately (percocets at first and then Tylenol 4's when the percs were no longer effective), so had some relief, and was warned that they could cause constipation, and if they did, what laxatives were recommended.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Nopooptalk@thetable » 24 Feb 2018, 11:01

Wait a minute. Y'all actually only get an allotted amount of time? I've never felt rushed or limited with my docs (except my OBGYN but they're so overbooked in my town). Is this a thing outside the US?
Nopooptalk@thetable
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 24 Feb 2018, 11:09

No, the appointments are in 15 minutes increments, but I've never felt rushed at all. All of the GP's I've had over my life (I'm 60, and had about 4 of them), would never indicate that I was there too long, and I am sure have exceeded the limit many times. I've also been in and out in 5, so it works out well in the end. Sometimes though, if too many patients take more than the 15 minutes, you end up having to wait longer in the waiting room, because they get behind schedule.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby Mypoorbutt » 24 Feb 2018, 12:19

I have been lucky and has some GPs that are allotted ten mins but the one I have had for the past 3 years is 5 mins and you can only talk about one issue at a time...so if I want to talk about my fissures I can’t ask to try different crohns meds.
It’s great having the NHS but unfortunately it’s becoming seriously overstretched, my friend had to que for 30 mins last week just to get to the reception of the cardiac unit to book in for her appointment.

Oh yes it seems my whole life has revolved round my colon...I have always had issues even as a child, I researched once about how being premature can have an impact on the digestion. But I’m used to it now and there are way worse things to have to deal with, I’m lucky that it’s mostly managed
I’m 14 months from my LIS and have been doing amazingly but my liver doesn’t always tolerate the steroids for my crohns so I have to have a rest unfortunately during my recent rest I had a flare which has caused a new fissure which I have had for 3 weeks now. There was spasms but since I have got my BMs back down to one a day I’m doing much better and have an appointment to see my CRS in 3 weeks.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby chachacha » 24 Feb 2018, 13:48

I am truly shocked to hear that.

And yes, it is very hard when we need medications for one condition that conflict with another. I've had that in the past, and it makes things even harder.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby Nopooptalk@thetable » 24 Feb 2018, 23:56

Quick update:

Still keeping on top of my pain medicines, colace, and miralax. I had BM #2 and #3 today, both small amounts but I didn't push the issue at all. I was able to control it so much better than I have been able to for years! There just wasn't any struggle or force and that was refreshing. But what was even better? No pain during the BMs. Slight pressure afterwards but no pain. I did some tub soaks just to be safe!

Up until now I've been staying in bed most of the day. Standing up creates this pressure and it just has me nervous that if I push myself, I'll trigger spasms and tailspin. Tomorrow I really hope to push through that wall a bit.
Nopooptalk@thetable
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 25 Feb 2018, 05:21

Your doing the right thing for yourself and your body by listening to it and staying in bed. You will know when it’s the right time to move around more....wish I had done that...
congratulations on those BMs that’s amazing. If your tight sphincter tone has been the issue all along then LIS will have sorted that out for you. All that need to happen now is for things to heal and the swelling to go down.
That is probably the pressure feeling you are getting and by resting your allowing it to heal and like you say not get into the pain/spasm cycle that prevents healing.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby chachacha » 25 Feb 2018, 08:16

I agree that listening to your body is paramount. I have always been of the belief that if something hurts, don't push through the pain, but let it heal before exerting yourself further and causing more damage. The only exception to this, in my opinion, is muscular issues, such as when you are undergoing physiotherapy after an injury.

It sounds like you're doing amazingly well and I hope that you continue on that path and are fully healed soon!
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby Nopooptalk@thetable » 05 Mar 2018, 12:54

I have my two week post op appointment this coming Wednesday so I thought I'd give an update for anyone who may be pouring through the LIS feeds in the future while trying to muster up the courage to take that step.

Since surgery I've kept up with my colace and miralax (although only a half dose miralax as a full dose makes me uncomfortably gassy) everyday and maintained a good consistency. BMs hurt a bit but nothing like before. I also have dull achy pains after a BM that last for a few hours but they aren't like spasms whatsoever. I usually ice and heat and it's fine after some time passes.

The first 5-6 days I took things incredibly easy on myself. My husband was off of work so I listened to my body, I stayed in bed, and I let myself heal. The day before he went back, I got up to do some light cleaning and that evening I bled like I've never bled before. It was 10 pretty worrisome minutes of blood and then it tapered off. I called the doctor's office and they said it can be normal. Frustrated me a little bit because they didn't really give any definitive guideline to when it becomes alarming but whatever.
I didn't bleed for a few days after that. Then this morning I woke up to a my gauze completely saturated and my giant pad pretty saturated as well. It must have happened sometime in the night but no pain or anything. I had my morning BM and jumped in the tub to soak and clean off. Prior to today, I've never been able to see any stitches, but while cleaning myself up I felt them and have a wad of stitching just hanging out. This is day 11 post op so i dont know if this is normal or not but I don't have any pain that I haven't been having already and no more blood since I've woken up. I'm assuming the stitches are from the hemorrhoidectomy or the anal papilla.

Anyhow, so far, I'm glad I did the surgery. A couple days ago my kids were playing outside, all the neighborhood kids were over playing as well. An older neighbor came out and small talked with me for a few minutes and then he got quiet and very serious and asked if everything was okay with me because they hadn't seen me in so long. Prior to surgery, this most recent round with my fissures was tough. I couldn't do anything and it ruled my life for several weeks. This has been my life for a couple of years now, revolving around my butt of all things. It was such a big moment for me when my neighbor was so concerned about my recent hermit situation. That's not me! That's not how my life should be. Or has to be. I thought I was being strong by trying to muscle through it all and temporary fixes til the next episode. Now I know I was strong when I decided to explore my options and see how I could get my life back. I still have some healing to do, but I'm slowly getting back to me and it feels great. I hope anyone reading from their bath tub, in tears from the spasms, can find the courage to explore their own options as well. Good luck in your journey. XO
Nopooptalk@thetable
Fibre Addict