Hello from South Yorkshire UK

Introducing myself to you all.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello from South Yorkshire UK

Postby Fissure UK » 05 Mar 2018, 07:49

Hello everyone.

My appreciation to the guys who have created this forum. This is everything I have been searching for but could not find until now. I would like to say thank you.

I live near Sheffield England. I am hoping that I can both learn from as well as help others on here.

(Briefly, had the hemorroidectomy 2017 and have been left with stenosis).

Looking forward to communicating with you all.
:%_+:
Last edited by Fissure UK on 16 Mar 2018, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
Fissure UK
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Hello from South Yorkshire UK

Postby chachacha » 05 Mar 2018, 08:24

Welcome to the forum. I had a hemorrhoidectomy in December and (thankfully) all went well. What has your CRS said about the stenosis? Has he recommended further surgery, or dilation? I hope that you have a plan to work with.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Mypoorbutt » 05 Mar 2018, 09:40

Well hello,
I’m from Rotherham so we are neighbours, I have hems but was advised to leave them alone when I had my LIS op as there was so many it may cause stenosis. I’m quite glad I left them as they rarely cause me any pain.
Is your hospital the northern general, I have found the CRS’s there to be very helpful
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Fissure UK » 05 Mar 2018, 12:59

chachacha wrote:Welcome to the forum. I had a hemorrhoidectomy in December and (thankfully) all went well. What has your CRS said about the stenosis? Has he recommended further surgery, or dilation? I hope that you have a plan to work with.

The CRS suggested that I should use dilators , of which I have 3 different sizes.

The middle size, which I use mainly is 18mm dia at it's maximum diameter. CRS said I should go to 20mm maximum.

I could not locate "proper" dilators. The small one is a 14mm nozzle from a tube of mastic sealent.  The middle size 18mm is a nozzle from a tube of decorator's calk.  The large one goes up to about 40mm and is called a "witches hat". I got it from a fishing tackle shop. It's intended purpose is for making carp bait apparently ??

I could do with something that is 20/22mm as the witches hat jams on the large part of the taper and risks taring me.
Fissure UK
Salt Bather

Postby Fissure UK » 05 Mar 2018, 13:03

Mypoorbutt wrote:Well hello,
I’m from Rotherham so we are neighbours, I have hems but was advised to leave them alone when I had my LIS op as there was so many it may cause stenosis. I’m quite glad I left them as they rarely cause me any pain.
Is your hospital the northern general, I have found the CRS’s there to be very helpful

It's a small world. I  actually live in Rotherham. I said nr Sheffield because I thought  that the site was usa based, and Sheffield would be better known in the usa, only a few miles up the road from Roth.

I had the operation at Thornbury hospital, Fulwood area.

What are hems-are they skin tags?

I thought LIS was a remedy for stenosis? Was that the reason you had the LIS?
Fissure UK
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 05 Mar 2018, 14:16

Oh gosh I had my op at the thornberry...my surgeon was Mr Brown, I have 4 internal hemorrhoids 3 external and a skin tag from a sentinel pile. LIS doesn’t really help stenosis as it cuts the sphincter but does nothing to help the surrounding skin which would have been full of scar tissue if I had had all of mine removed. Scar tissue like you know is less pliable and more prone to tearing. I had my LIS for a fissure so the last thing we wanted to do was make that area more fragile.
Mypoorbutt

Postby SusieUK » 06 Mar 2018, 05:57

Wow........I had my op at Thornberry ...... and I live in Rotherham!
SusieUK
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Mypoorbutt » 06 Mar 2018, 08:50

Oh my goodness let’s hope there’s not something in the water :lol:
How have you found your GP I had a great one he had also had a fissure but he left to go to America 2 weeks after I found out I had mine. His parting words to me were to get the LIS as a fissure is one of the most painful things to experience.
Unfortunately my current GP is totally useless she told me to take paracetamol and wouldn’t even prescribe GTN.
Mypoorbutt

Postby SusieUK » 06 Mar 2018, 10:53

It does make you wonder doesn't it! Long story ...... mine started 20 years ago when I was pregnant/breast feeding and my GP at the time didn't even examine me just told me it would be piles as 'all pregnant women get piles'! After about six months or more (it's difficult to remember now as it's so long ago) he eventually examined me and it turned out I had 3 fissures! After loads more visits to see him I was eventually referred up to Rotherham District General and at that time I was prescribed GTN ointment (which didn't seem to help a great deal and gave me horrendous headaches .....just the thing you need when you have a baby to look after!). I had had an emergency c-section and developed an hernia so was going to have to have a hernia repair followed a year later with an hysterectomy ..... on both occasions the Dr's decided it would be a good idea to sort out my fissure problems at the same time ...... in those days it would have meant as far as I remember actually 'tearing' my sphincter muscle (apparently a tear heals better than a cut I was told at the time) but they decided against it at the last minute! I then went on for years with visits to the GP hospital etc being passed from pillar to post. I'd have a few good weeks but then it would tear again. I'm sure anxiety and stress played a part .... I've always been an anxious person and have suffered on and off with IBS! I was prescribed lactulose, Fybogel etc changed my diet but nothing helped until I started taking Movicol ( GP told me I could take as many as needed for as long as I needed to) .... miracle cure as far as I was concerned went five years with no problems! Then it happened again back to a life of misery & pain. By this time I had changed my GP to one in Wickersley closer to where I live and she was brill no messing referred me straight away but consultant decided after a sigmoidoscopy and months of further appointments to 'leave well alone' as surgery could make my problems worse!! Prescribed Diltiazem Hydrochloride but even though I kept using the cream it just made things worse. Then two years ago I decided enough was enough got re-referred saw a different consultant he wanted to operate but at the time there were too many things going on my father in law was diagnosed with cancer, we were having to look at universities for my son along with other things so I chickened out ..... I eventually had the surgery in January & so far it seems to be working! How can such a small thing cause so much pain and so many problems? ...... WOW sorry for such a long rant/essay but that feels good to get all that off my chest!!!!!
SusieUK
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Mypoorbutt » 06 Mar 2018, 11:07

Oh wow that’s bad I’m so glad mine didn’t last that long I’m pretty sure I couldn’t have coped.
Yes it’s astounding how many GPs and some CRS’s can miss a fissure even after an exam. I wouldn’t go to Rotherham general if you paid me. I had one CRS there just before I got diagnosed with crohns ask me if I was sure all the blood clots were coming from my bottom...after a 2nd colonoscopy which showed obvious inflammation and crohns he never once apologised. I changed to Doncaster soon after. The CRS there is nice but does things very by the book refused me LIS due to possible incontinence made higher by my crohns. So I paid private and found my amazing CRS

I agree I have had lots of painful things in my life but nothing even comes near to the pain of spasms. I know we need nerve endings down there but I really do question if we need quite so many. It’s like torturing yourself every time you eat as you know it has to come out the other end.

I’m really glad your doing so well :D
Mypoorbutt