AF Diet/Excercise

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: AF Diet/Excercise

Postby Guest » 12 May 2008, 04:12

Hi Val,
Miralax is called Movicol in the UK !
"Polyethylene glycolis are used in a variety of products. It is the basis of a number of laxatives (e.g. macrogol-containing products such as Movicol and polyethylene glycol 3350, or MiraLax or GlycoLax)."
I get mine on prescription, i am not sure whether you can buy over the counter Image
Fiss you are not a freak !!! my fissure no2 was caused by a diarrhea bug :pale: can you believe that !

Postby cherylk » 12 May 2008, 06:41

We can buy Miralax over the counter in the U.S., and I think it is in the prep called Moviprep that is used prior to colonscopies at Mayos. My mother's fissure of 45 years ago was caused by a diarhea bug and she had hers surgically removed at that time. She is almost 83 years old now and in good health. She takes no prescription drugs which is unusual for someone her age. Where do you live in the UK? We have a Caterpillar facility in Peterborough, and my brother in law and his family are going to visit a friend that works there at Cat later this summer.
Thanks,
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby motherluch » 12 May 2008, 08:44

Just wondering what dose is seeing to work for all of you who take Miralax...in grams...isn't the dose they suggest 12 grams, isn't that one capful??
Do you find you are getting diarrhea with it? Or do you sometimes not soften things up enough with it?
I am asking because I know one day I will need a back up if and when I decide to switch from the magnesium.
Thanks!!
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby cherylk » 12 May 2008, 08:59

My Mayo doc told me I can use as much as I want of Miralax to the point where I am comfortable. I started with one full cap in the morning (17 g) and then added a half cap in the evening as I weaned myself off of magnesium and the other stool softener (docusate sodium) nine months ago. I now take 1 1/4 cap in the morning and a large capful at bedtime. One of my local family docs told me he has a patient that takes 2 capfuls in the morning and 2 at night. Actually, I measure it out using teaspoons and smaller measuring spoons and keep track of of by writing it down. The foods I eat vary, so it is difficult to keep everything just right. About a month ago I started having loose stools and this is what caused the fissure I think. I had bought hemp milk from the health food store and used it in my oatmeat as well as was using date sugar in my cooking, so I don't know if it was those different foods or what. It is tricky to keep everything just right.
Before I was on Miralax, I never had loose stools, and I always had one bm a day. On the Miralax bottle it says that a person may have loose, water, and more frequent stools. Sometimes I think I would prefer to get my colon taken out and therefore not have to worry about all of this stuff Hope this helps.
All the best,
Cheryl
P.S. I was thinking the other day--philosophically we are all helping one another as most religions tell us to do!! I'll start another subject line and post a couple of websites that give info about alternative treatments for hemmroids in case anyone is interested
cherylk
VIP

Postby Guest » 12 May 2008, 14:05

I am in Scotland Cheryl :D
Motherluch, i work with sachets so havent a clue about capfuls :roll:
I use one sachet a day, before bed , seems to work for me :)

Postby cherylk » 12 May 2008, 20:00

I am guessing that a sachet is most likely equivalent to a free trial sample package which is equivalent to a capful.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Postby cherylk » 13 May 2008, 05:36

This is such an international group!! Thank heavens for the internet, right???
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Postby val » 14 May 2008, 01:55

Thanks Tabby, I didnt know it was the same thing by a different name!! Duh!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 14 May 2008, 11:38

Neither did i Val until i googled Miralax from this board :)
Cheryl...Yes thank heavens indeed !! this forum is such a great support :)