AF Diet/Excercise

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

AF Diet/Excercise

Postby cherylk » 07 May 2008, 17:19

All,
I know lots of liquids are important for an AF diet, but what about foods? I drink 8 glasses of water daily which also is good for the urinary tract. I try to eat 20-25 grams of fiber daily. More than that bothers my irritable bowel problems and causes me stomach pain. A year ago I was taking in between 35-40 grams daily. I try to eat an apple daily, whole grains (wheat, rice and quinoa), turkey, salmon, chicken, and very little beef. I also eat fresh spinach, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, cooked carrots, some other vegetables, and fruit bars. I eat no processed food or sweets, so the diet I adhere to is fairly stringent and has taken away my cravings for sweets. If I ever get cured of my fissure, I might live to be 100 since I feel I eat healthily. I have some diverticulae and processed food is bad for that. Knowing a food cannot be eaten seems to have taken away my cravings, and I lost 10 pounds without trying. I have put some weight back on, and am happy about that. Would appreciate any feedback. I am unfamiliar with the macrobiotic diet. Also, if anyone has comments about excercise (what to do and what not to do), I would appreciate knowing that also. I walk a lot, but would like to get back to using my weights and also doing non-impact aerobics which I think are also both important for my bones and overall health. Image
Thanks in advance for comments,
Cheryl K.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Re: AF Diet/Excercise

Postby Guest » 07 May 2008, 17:40

I think your diet sounds great! I might add some yogurt with live active cultures or take an acidophilis supplement. That really seems to help me keep things regular and consistent.

I might add a little fruit and some essential fatty acids to your diet, like fish oil or flax seed oil.

I haven't been able to start exercising again, but I did buy a pilates machine to start on maybe in the fall if my husband will put it together for me!!! :D

I guess a rule of thumb would be if it hurts don't do it. I would think squats would be hard the rear.

Postby juney » 07 May 2008, 17:41

hi cheryl - i think a lot of us have also found that we've lost weight since we've suffered w/ a fissure. Knowing how much pain a slice of pizza might cause the next day will definitely take away your cravings! It seems like you have a really healthy diet already! I eat oatmeal or a high fiber cereal every morning, lots of fruits and water throughout the day, and usually veggies/soup/high fiber pasta for dinner. I've stopped eating all meat except for fish. A lot of people continue to eat beef and don't have problems, but in general i think it slows down your system.
have you considered using miralax and/or milk of magnesia? i use MOM every night and i can pretty much eat whatever i want now that i know it'll come out okay the next day. A lot of other people have success with miralax. As far as i know (and hope!) these are both okay to take longterm, and might help you keep things just soft enough to heal.
regarding exercise, walking is great! i use small hand weights and do pilates also. pilates is a great form of low impact/ strengthening aerobics.
good luck
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby cherylk » 07 May 2008, 17:50

My Mayo doc put me on Miralax for chronic constipation that I have had since 2001. My former local family doc (he got promoted to administration) told me in 2004 to get 25 grams of fiber daily, and last year after going through a CT scan, MRI, barium test, and flex sig my local GI doc put me on Amitizia and b/4 that Zelnorm which was later taken off of the market.
I ran into difficulty several weeks ago when something I was eating or the Miralax caused me to be the opposite. I use biofeedback and a handheld device to help with relaxation. Here is the website in case anyone is interested: heartmath. com. I think our mind and spirit also hav a lot to do with how we feel. Staying relaxed is important but not always easy! Thanks for the comments.
Cheryl K.
cherylk
VIP

Postby Guest » 07 May 2008, 18:42

Thanks for the info and the link. I know I get so tense and worried when the pain starts that I start catastrophizing (is that a word?) and imagine the worst outcomes for myself.

I have to mention my old stand-by-All Bran Buds. They have really made a difference through all of this. If you have a medium size bowl in the morning you'll probably get 26 grams of fiber right there.

Postby cherylk » 07 May 2008, 18:52

Catastrophizing is indeed a word and is what my counselor says I do also! Maybe it is something that goes with being a person with an AF! I also listen to audio CD's--The Power of Positive Thinking. I think a positive attitude is important, but not always easy. I have a new paperback that I have started reading about anxiety and how heartmath can help. Social support is important, so this group is most likely helping all who participate. I am embarrassed to admit that I do not know what "LOL" stands for, but maybe I will learn. Thanks to all for your comments and feedback.
Cheryl K.
cherylk
VIP

Postby Guest » 07 May 2008, 19:11

LOL=laugh out loud!

I love Norman Vincent Peale. I should get his stuff back out. (if I can find it!) I listen to a lot of audiobooks at night as I am falling asleep. Maybe I should get that one and revisit it!

I sure could use a dose every day.

Postby cherylk » 07 May 2008, 19:23

Lecia and others,
One thing that has also helped me in the morning if I am awake enough and have enough time before having to go to the bathroom, I try to do deep breathing and/or use my hand-held heartmath device. That beats breaking out in a cold sweat while contemplaing having a BM like I used to do. I think we can condition our minds negatively and positively, and our thoughts most likely greatly affect the sphincter muscle as well. Maybe I can be the "mother figure" of this group. I am amazed at how many young people are affected by AF's. You will all find that "young" becomes very relative as you age.
Cheryl K.
cherylk
VIP

Postby juney » 07 May 2008, 19:36

"young" is definitely relative to age cheryl! even now i see teenagers and i feel old. LOL Image
no matter what age you're at i can guarantee having a fissure will wreck havoc on your life. i'm so glad you found this forum, it's a good place for support and we're happy to have you here Image
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby cherylk » 07 May 2008, 20:21

I changed my mood profile to hopeful. Important to keep everything in perspective. Just like when I have a bad round of golf. I tell myself that someone in a wheelchair would be most happy to have a bad round of golf. Everything is relative including age. I took off my birth year although I am not as sensitive about my age as when I was working.
Cheryl K.
cherylk
VIP