Had LIS surgery yesterday morning and

My LIS experience

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Had LIS surgery yesterday morning and

Postby Dnank » 04 May 2019, 12:41

It hasn't been too bad so far. Still dreading the first bm, but not so bad yesterday or today. The enema before LIS was terrible and aggravated the fissure. The pain now from LIS isn't as bad as fissure pain after bm, but it's no picnic either.

After years of fighting fissures I finally decided to go through with it. I got to the point where I couldn't live like that any longer. I don't think I've ever completely gotten rid if the fissure in 4 years. I had ups and downs and times where it seemed it was gone, but one bad bm and it was back with a vengence. Hopefully, this will allow it to completely heal. I went to a new GI doc last year because I thought I had hemorrhoids again, but he did a flex sig and said no hemorrhoids
but very deep fissure. He gave me Nitro ointment and that did help very much with after bm spasms but I never healed completely. He told me at the time that the ointment doesn't work completely for a small percentage of people. Of course, I am one of those people. I had tried Nifedipine within 6 months of first getting a fissure but it didn't work at all for me. I wish I would have been given Nitro sooner. I possibly could have avoided LIS and maybe the years of pain I have been through.

I plan to post some replies here to track my progress.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: Had LIS surgery yesterday morning and

Postby Dnank » 05 May 2019, 17:09

Had a BM today. It was soft so that was good. But I still had pain afterward. It was different but I'm a little concerned that I'm still having sphincter spasm. There was some blood but not that much. It burned for an hour and that started to subside. For 5 hours it has been a weird stinging. I would put the pain at about 4/10. Hopefully this is all due to the surgery and normal.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 06 May 2019, 17:42

It got worse late yesterday until early this morning. It was brutal. I'll probably have to go again tomorrow morning. I really don't want to. I've been eating very lightly. At least I was able to recover some today. But it wasn't a good day.

I feel a rather large bump on the left. I guess that's where he made the incision. Seems like it's more swollen today than yesterday there because I didn't notice it as much. Then again I didn't feel around in there much yesterday.

So far day 3/4 has been very tough.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 08 May 2019, 12:54

Making progress now. I've had three BMs since surgery. They have all been very painful but I haven't had the bad after-bm pain since the first one.

There is less and less blood oozing out and the swelling has been going down. I'm still in a little pain all the time but I haven't taken any pain meds for over two days. It's only bad when I have to go. Still eating lightly to avoid going.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 09 May 2019, 09:45

It's been exactly six days since the surgery and I'm finally starting to feel a lot better. BMs are still painful but not worse than many I've had in the last four years. It was hurting a lot last night after sitting a lot yesterday and having a BM. I felt a very tight pulling on the right side but all that's gone this morning.

I'm continuing the sitz baths at least twice a day. I'm also eating lightly to keep BMs to every other day. I take stool softener in the morning and at night and supplement with miralax every other day. I get constipated easily but since I'm eating lightly it hasn't been a problem.

I rarely drink sports drinks like Gatorade, but one of the nurses suggested it over water, which I drink a lot of. I was sceptical, but after trying it, I think it might help keep things flowing.

I have a follow-up appointment with the doctor in two weeks.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Abu » 09 May 2019, 10:47

Thank you very much Dnank for sharing your experience with us! Good luck in your recovery and remember to pass by in a few years time when all of this will be nothing than an ugly memory of the past.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Dnank » 09 May 2019, 16:01

Thanks Abu. I read some of your posts. Very insightful. I have the same experience with fiber. When I first had fissure problems, I added fiber to my diet because almost all doctors tell you to do that, and it just made things worse. I also wonder the same thing as you do about being "healed." For me, I'll think I'm healed when I'm back to the way I was five years ago. I didn't have to worry about diet and didn't take any supplements, stool softeners, etc. I don't know if it will ever happen but I think lis is my best chance. BTW, this all started for me due to bad constipation caused by some prescription medication I was taking over a long period of time. I had no idea the problems chronic constipation can cause. Wish I knew then what I know now. I was completely ignorant about all gastro related things. Most people that don't have problems with it are, even a lot of doctors.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Abu » 09 May 2019, 21:58

Totally agree with you. Nobody tells people the dangers we submit to when taking medication and constipation is such a taboo subject until disaster strikes...
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Dnank » 10 May 2019, 17:28

It's been over seven days now and I'm still improving every day. I haven't had any setbacks. My BM yesterday didn't hurt much and there wasn't much pain after either. The blood has stopped. Swelling is less and less. I still feel a bump or bumps in there but much less sensitive now. No BM or sitz baths today.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 13 May 2019, 19:32

At 10-1/2 days since the surgery, I'm doing well. No pain most of the time. Still 2-3 during BM and the odd stabbing pain here and there but otherwise no pain at all. I'm still having a little drainage from the surgery site and there is still a little swelling or something there. I haven't had a difficult BM. I've been keeping it soft with miralax and docusate sodium stool softener. I've started eating almost normally now but am trying to not overdo it.
Dnank
Salt Bather